Author Topic: GTB Ursa  (Read 32477 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
i for one would feel a lot more comfortable with the ship, if the 3 guns would be just a bit bigger than the 2, and also a bit shorter, they look quite out of proportion right now
i think at least the opening of the barrels should not be that big
The three guns are bigger, the've got 816mm diameter barrels (interior) compared to the 620mm diameter interior that the two other guns have.

Also the guns are actually shorter than the retail ones. However I do see what you mean, so I added a support to the guns near the end, I think it helps.

https://p3d.in/sRuEa

As for the details, everything is in fine order. However I would strongly suggest to get the angled engine pylons back. It distorted the whole rear section and width proportions. I find it very weird at some angles, especially this one:

(though I understand the point of making them straight. First thing which crossed my mind was the engine thrust. Force distribution would be handled better with straight frame then angled one. Or was that only esthetic reason behind it :)? ).

It was for three reasons that I changed the pylons to be straight, a) aesthetic reasons, I think it looks a lot better with them straight, b) engine thrust, and c) it makes the Ursa look like it helps form Voltron

It's surprisingly low on greebles for a Hades(tm) model.
Being on WoD and making models for it helped me learn to temper myself a bit and I've grown up a bit as a person, so I no longer just look at models and go full on detailing mode.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
the support for the guns helps a lot already, i still think the barrel opening is too big, but it looks definitely better proportioned now :)
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Luis Dias

May be "low" on greebles, but it's sure as heck not low on polys! How many right now, Hades? 100k?

Offline fightermedic

WTF are you talking about? p3d says something like 16k
and even 100k would not be ridicously much these days, this is 2016!
>>Ships created by me<<
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
WTF are you talking about? p3d says something like 16k
and even 100k would not be ridicously much these days, this is 2016!

Yes, it is. And as Star Citizen is proving all the time, having polygon budgets is a really good idea. 100k is overkill for something like a fighter or bomber.

Always consider the circumstances in which a model is used. If we were making a game with an FPS element, where a player might feasibly walk up to the fighter and inspect it close up, then extra detail is useful. But in our game, models are rarely if ever covering enough screen real estate that fine details are noticeable. Such detail would just end up sucking ressources for no good reason (A single 100k poly ship? Fine. But chances are, ships like the Ursa are not going to be deployed solo).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline fightermedic

yea sure, no disagreement here, i just said it would not be ridiculously much, especially not with agressive LODing
of course it would still be a lot, and most of all pointless for reasons you stated
>>Ships created by me<<

The three guns are bigger, the've got 816mm diameter barrels (interior) compared to the 620mm diameter interior that the two other guns have.

Jesus CHRIST

Following development of this model is really driving home just how utterly enormous Freespace ships actually are. I mean even those engines are like five stories tall it seems!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The Ursa is basically the ultimate party bus...complete with planet-cracking nukes!

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Looks fabulous, but I'd agree with adding an appropriately sized window square above the pilot and seeing how that looks.
I am a revolutionary.