Author Topic: HTL Arcadia [RELEASED]  (Read 47827 times)

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Re: HTL Arcadia [BETA NOT RELEASED]
So the trick to good lighting is trial and error. Also remember that you can only really make the cast off lighting effectively, and the "light bulb" is better off in an editor. Also, while using an ordinary lamp is simpler, I primarily use rectangular area lights. For windows or lights on large flat spots with no nearby walls or angles, one area light that is slightly larger then the source (example: window) facing the model. This will create a natural glow around the edges of the source, but it won't create anything else. Next I take that same light, duplicate it, and using local rotation (as opposed to global), I rotate it 180 degrees, increase the energy, and then use the render preview to check it out, and adjust accordingly. The inward facing light that you first placed should be elevated off the mesh a bit, while the outward facing light should be quite close to the surface. You seldom need to use energy levels above 1.0. Also remember that the energy level will be spread out through the size of the lamp, meaning a small lamp with a power of 2 will light a small area rather brightly, but a large lamp of the same power will be much duller. Also, disable spec on the lamps... You cannot bake spec, and you will get a deceptive preview if you leave it on.

So that's my recipe. Area lamps offer great control, but will not work for everything, so preview often. PM me if you need additional help.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Aesaar

Thanks for the advice.  Very much appreciated.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
This looks awesomesauce.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Just a heads up everyone, today the Arcadia entered its final round of testing. Some minor glow map changes and any unforeseen bugs noted from the incredible FSU team are all that stands in the way of release. Shots, maybe a video to follow!
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Just a heads up everyone, today the Arcadia entered its final round of testing. Some minor glow map changes and any unforeseen bugs noted from the incredible FSU team are all that stands in the way of release. Shots, maybe a video to follow!

* Ulala happy dances.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: HTL Arcadia [RELEASED]
Welp, it's that time.

RgaNoris and I have finally finished mapping, and texturing the 80,000 polies of Ragingloli's GTI Arcadia. This thing's a beast. The detail in Ragingloli's mesh is superb and we tried our best to bring out the detail while keeping the feel of the original Arcadia installation intact. Many, many hours were spent on this and I'll admit that, at times, it was not a labor of love any longer.  :lol: RgaNoris painstakingly placed and baked over 4800 lights to the glowmap. I asked him just moments ago...

Code: [Select]
<@MjnMixael> RgaNoris.. when did we start this?
<@RgaNoris> 9 year ago.

That's certainly what it feels like. I've lost track of how much time we spent on this.. but here it is, completed. It features destroyable subsystems and a modelled fighterbay too. Both of which are a treat.

DOWNLOAD HERE
This model will still undergo a lot of FSU testing, but please report any issues here.

Lastly, we realize some people feel that this is kind of a large step from the original design. We are aware of the differences in design. However, so far the model doesn't break balance of Arcadia based missions. We realize the model's different in a lot of ways. We didn't design it. We took an impressive mesh, cleaned it up and released it. We would like to avoid major arguments over those types of things.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:43:07 am by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Wow.  Downloading right away.  I can't wait to see this in mission. 

The next MediaVPs are going to be the best ever. 

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Now that is an absolutely gorgeous moon.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
What moon? That's no moon, it's a space sta-

Oooooh I get it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Umm, sorry to say this, but the normal maps are sort of invalid. Especially 03 - 06. Please refer to Herra's excellent guide for info on how to make them properly.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Looks great :yes:

I'll test some of my missions that revolve around an Arcadia and see if this geometry causes issues.

[EDIT]I tested mission 10 of Luyten Civil War, which features the Arcadia and was designed with the vanilla Arcadia in mind. The mission remains playable and beatable, and my sub-par comp didn't choke as I was flying around it, so good job in that regard. However, I have to make some modifications to the mission to better suit this geometry. Since the HTL version breaks nothing, it's more like a loud note to self than a piece of criticism.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:44:54 am by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I like it. You nailed all of it's distinctive features.
After a closer look, the bright metal parts could be darker, and the inside of the ring could be brighter. Also, the "1C" plaque between the arms is mirrored.

Well that was weird, I first played the Third Watch single mission to see this because I knew it had an Arcadia, noticing that I could fly right through the thing (but still shoot it). Then put it in a test mission and it was fine. Dunno whats up with that never had that happen before. Probably some kind of bug I don't know about lol.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I notice that some of the windows are white on the diffuse map as well as the glow. Was this intentional or an oversight?

Also, the way Turret #1 hangs off the side of the hull is kinda odd.

Beautiful work all around.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:25:56 am by Alan Bolte »
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Superb job  :yes:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Does the center hole still accept the various GTx extensions?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It should. I'll be honest, I didn't personally test it, but I'm 97% sure it's the same size and location within the mesh as the retail one.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
If the Cato still shoots through it, then everything is all right  ;)
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You should check the debris for submodels. I've notticed a hole in one of the comm's debris. Others may be buggy too.
It's a... HUGE departure from original Arcadia, but it's freaking awesome anyway :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
 :wtf:

live debris is a "huge departure" like normal maps are a "huge departure"... in that retail didn't have that capability...

So easy with the all caps words there.