Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.2.1  (Read 103365 times)

Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.2.1
Just in case this hasn't been said lately, thank you for making installation and file sourcing and updating so painless.  I remember being skeptical when new launchers and streamlined installers were being beta'd, but having changed PCs a number of times I'm convinced that this tool is the best thing that could have happened to the project for getting new players and keeping old ones.
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
  • Administrator
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks for the kind words. :)

New features are being coded for the Installer to make it even better, though for various reasons they're still WIP.  Also, please check out ngld's Knossos project.

Just a quick question.
Sorry if its been asked before but does the installer need to re-download any mods that you already had prior to using the installer or will it just see them and pass by?
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just a quick question.
Sorry if its been asked before but does the installer need to re-download any mods that you already had prior to using the installer or will it just see them and pass by?

It will check if they have updates, and if not, pass by, IIRC.  But if you had the mod installed to a different folder (e.g. "blue planet the most awesome mod" instead of "blueplanet"), I think it will re-download it to the 'correct' folder.

EDIT: I could be wrong about that ▲ - it might read the mod.ini and realize what mod it was, but I'm not sure.  Goober will know.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
  • Administrator
    • Goober5000 Productions
The installer will not re-download any files that already exist on the system, if the files are in the expected locations with the expected file sizes.

Thanks jr2 and Goober, used it today  :yes:
Why i didn't use it in the past is beyond me.
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!