Author Topic: Techroom descriptions / screenshots are small  (Read 1776 times)

Techroom descriptions / screenshots are small
Hello.

Right now, all ships I added are visible in the techroom when I start the new campaign. Since there might be some spoilers in the descriptions, I want this information only to become visible when the certain ship has appeared in the mission.

I know about tech-add-ships which I used to make the descriptions visible, but the entries are still directly visible when I choose a new pilot and start the campaign... Do I have to delete the "in tech database" flag inside the tables or what am I missing?

2nd question:

I use fraps to take screenshots from the game. But when I open them, they seem to be just 1024*768, though the WX launcher says I'm using 1920*1080... Any ideas what could be the problem? Is it the program fraps? Any suggestions about another good one to take screenshots?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:14:55 am by bomb3rman »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Techroom descriptions / screenshots are small
Just press printscreen - FS2 takes screenshots perfectly well internally. They end up in the Screenshots folder in the main FS2 directory.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Do I have to delete the "in tech database" flag inside the tables or what am I missing?

Exactly, that's the flag that puts the ship in the database by default
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Thx, the techroom descriptions are now showing up correctly...

Strange, now I'm using the internal possibility to make screenshots, but they still appear as 1024*768... Through the WXlauncher I give the command to play in 1920*1080, but obviously it's not working... I read a bit around the forum and tried things like:

- using the "Use a different registry path" option (gives me black bars on the left and right)
- starting without the launcher (still 1024*768)
- putting -res 1920x1080 in the command line (gives me the black bars again...)

Anyone got an idea what might be causing the problem? I personally don't have a problem with playing in 1024*768, but it's a pitty that I can't manage to get higher screenshots with this resolution...

And yeah, to know how to avoid the black bars would be nice, too :)

My machine (if needed):

- Win 10/ 64 Bit
- Intel I5 7400
- 16 GB RAM
- XFX RX 480 (8GB, so playing in higher resolutions than 1024*768 shouldn't be a problem ;) )

Funny that I recognize this now after playing and fredding for half a year... But I always wondered why anti-aliasing didn't look so well  :P
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:47:35 pm by bomb3rman »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
- using the "Use a different registry path" option (gives me black bars on the left and right)
Did you try launching a mission? The pillarboxing should only be during the menus/mainhall (and if you really, really want them stretched instead of displayed in their intended aspect ratio, you can enable the -strech_menu, or "Stretch interface to fill screen" in the launcher, command-line option).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

These bares are always visible, even inside a mission.

The "-strech_menu" helped, its a higher resolution now...Though I have to admit it looks different now, giving me the messages in the lower center of the screen and having a smaller hud... but the screenshots are better now :) Thanks for that!

Any idea why I have to stretch the interface this way?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
These bares are always visible, even inside a mission.

The "-strech_menu" helped, its a higher resolution now...Though I have to admit it looks different now, giving me the messages in the lower center of the screen and having a smaller hud... but the screenshots are better now :) Thanks for that!

Any idea why I have to stretch the interface this way?
It is literally impossible for -strech_menu to influence in-game resolution in any way, shape, or form.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Then I didn't make it clear enough: I think the "use different registry path" managed that I could get the higher resolution finally. And the -strech_menu made the black bars go away.

I just wonder why I get the bars in the first place, desktop is 1920*1080 as well. And I wonder what's the reason of these problems...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The original 1999 menus were created in 4:3 aspect ratio. For a long time, when FSO was running in other aspect ratios (like 16:9) the menus were stretched. This is (and this point is debatable) not the way the game was originally intended to look. Therefore at some point (I forget when) the decision was made to default to NOT stretching the menus in non-4:3 resolutions, with the side-effect being that black bars (pillar boxing) are displayed when the display resolution is wider than 4:3. e.g. 16:10, 16:9.

None of this affects the gameplay (as opposed to the menus), which has supported non 4:3 resolutions without stretching (ignoring triple monitor setups for a sec please! :)) for a very long time.

The use-different-registry-path thing is due to the SCP being unable to find a way to use the Windows registry reliably in a single way on all different versions of Windows. For whatever reason your version of Windows+FSO requires that flag to be set in order to read the launchers settings correctly.  And the resolution is stored in the Windows registry, with the default-registry-path FSO can't find the resolution that was set by the launcher, and it reverts to the default 1024x768 resolution. 

Once 3.8 is out the registry problem will go away because FSO will no longer use the Windows registry.

HTH!
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Thank you, this explained a lot to me :)