Author Topic: Having problems with FreeSpace?  (Read 156909 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Having problems with FreeSpace?
I didn't feel like creating a new thread, so I'l just add this stuff here, at the very beginning of the first post of this thread.

If you have problems with any of the FreeSpace games, please post at the FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board. This is General FreeSpace Discussion board: you know, just some general stuff about FreeSpace. Preferrably no problem-solving here, kthxbai.

If you are having problems with FreeSpace, FreeSpace 2 or FreeSpace Open, please read through the Troubleshooting FAQ. It lists all the most common problems and solutions, and in 95% of the cases, it helps you solve whatever problem it is you're having. If you can't find an answer to your question there, feel free to ask; we're here to help you. But if you are going to start a thread about a problem, do it according to the following guidelines:
- modding-related questions (like what tools to use when modding) belong in the FreeSpace Modding board
- FRED-related question belong to the FRED Discussion board
- problems with total conversions (like The Babylon Project or Wing Commander Saga) belong to their respective boards
- mod/campaign-specific problems belong either to the mod's release thread or just in the Missions and Campaigns board
- all other problems (like installation problems) belong to the FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.

By posting in the right place you'll increase the chances of someone replying and helping you, and also help keep HLP in order. Thank you.
-- Jeff Vader

From karajorma's BtRL Tech Help and FAQ Thread:

About 90% of the time this sort of error is related to one of three sound errors or a graphics one.

1) You didn't install OpenAL; also found at www.openal.org ). If you didn't run this before running the game, run it now and see if that cures the problem.
2) Your OpenAL install is corrupt (Windows users check Windows\System32 for either ct_oal.dll or nvopenal.dll. These are the OpenAL 1.0 .dlls and they are causing the screwup. Delete them and run the OpenAL installer again). If that doesn't work try deleting OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll and then running the OpenAL installer again.  NOTE: Re-installing drivers for your sound card, or installing drivers for a different sound card might install OpenAL 1.0 over your current OpenAL.
3) You (windows users only) selected something other than Generic Software from the Launcher's Audio tab. Switch it back.

4) If you have an Intel-based on-board graphics card, you might have to try Direct 3D. FIRST, TRY UPDATING YOUR DRIVERS FROM INTEL! (direct link to download center here, works as of 6/17/08, select your GFX product from the left panel).  If this doesn't work, and you must use Direct3D, keep in mind that it's currently unsupported; which means if you get graphical problems using this option, don't cry about it... you were warned!  ;)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 02:21:52 am by Jeff Vader »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Solution: The game doesn't start!
4) Is BtRL specific. It won't affect FS2_Open. You might want to make that a suggestion to try D3D on Intel cards though. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Is that good?  ;)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah. Looks better to me. You might want to explain that unsupported means that you're largely on your own if you get graphical glitches.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
kk, that better?

I'd sticky this.  1 and 2 are VERY common problems to FS2 Open.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Done for now :) But I think I'm going to take a look at un-stickying one of two of the stickies in the next day or so.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
@jr2: You should PM kalfireth about putting this in the "read me before posting" thread in the FSO support forum.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
I downloaded the mods,. how do I get them integrated into FS2?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Quote from: that thing I made and is in a stickied thread for all to see and easily access on the FSO support board.
Mod Installation: Playing mods with FSO is very simple. Put all of the mod contents into it's own folder inside the main FS folder (just like you did with the Media VPs, except a different name). Now, create a text file in that folder using notepad. Copy and paste this into it:

Code: [Select]

[launcher]
image255x112 = ;
infotext     = This is a Freespace Modifacation ;
website      = ;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/;

[multimod]
secondrylist = ,mediavps;

Save it as "mod.ini". Make sure it saves as an ini file!! There! Now you can use your mods and the Media VPs at the same time.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
you lost me, I don't evne know which files are the mods.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Erg.... I will explain later, maybe... either that or make a tutorial.  Go read karajorma's FAQ (top of HLP page you're looking at > External Sites > The FreeSpace FAQ), why don't you?  It'd be much easier on me.  XD
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 01:52:03 am by jr2 »

OpenAL may cause trouble sometimes........i don't think it will cause problems most of the time..........Maybe your right about steps 1 and 2......

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
At least half of the problems I deal with on a daily basis are OpenAL related. It's not OpenAL itself that's the problem. The problem is the installation of OpenAL. Either people don't have it or they have a corrupt version of it.

I have Open ALwEX, downloaded on 5-27-07 and Open al installer downloaded on 5-27-07, if anybody needs them let me know. I can up them on one of several free file sharing sites.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
* jr2 looks at karajorma
Can a mod or admin move or copy this the the FSOpen support thread plz?  Thx.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Copy it and post it yourself. I think we need a copy here too.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Done.
But, what did you mean by
I think we need a copy here too.
?

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I think he means we need a copy here in General FreeSpace Discussion as this is likely where newb's would visit with a problem FS_Open not starting. They probably wouldn't even think of looking in the support forum as that could be support for this board and not for the game!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Got it in one. :)