Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 229822 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Semi-official new people thread!
SGWP2 is a good fragfest campaign, not a particularly amazing story, but even then there's worse made campaigns.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
SGWP2 is a good fragfest campaign, not a particularly amazing story, but even then there's worse made campaigns.

Really? I thought SGWP2 was the absolute worst of the lot (which is why it came full circle to some of us).
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Relentless.

Been lurking here quite awhile, and I am VERY impressed with all the work that has gone into FS.  I am also quite impressed with the community.  Comming from a bunch of flight sim boards, it's nice to see such hard working modders and members to be so friendly and mature.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Howdy folks, I'm a long time Freespace fan who was convinced to re-buy FS2 after watching a lot of stuff for Blue Planet. Anyhow, it rocked, and it Battuta'ed for WiH.

Since BP, I've returned to being a Freespace junkie, and it feels good (minus the fact that I now have a severe hatred of trebuchets, which idiot came with the idea for those strikes?)
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Trebuchets are ez-pz to dodge. :P

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Maybe from the fact the Ulhan is a bit of wet rag in comparison to the Kentauroi. Trebs kept killing me on the mission where you have to defend the Akula & Ranvir.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I use the NArayana for cover  ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I use a Sanctus. It's easier to get around.

Maybe from the fact the Ulhan is a bit of wet rag in comparison to the Kentauroi. Trebs kept killing me on the mission where you have to defend the Akula & Ranvir.

I hope you completed the countermeasures training in the main FreeSpace 2 campaign. Those Trebs are the easiest to deal with.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
SGWP2 was retarded but it wasn't the worst campaign ever.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
SGWP2 is kind of the perfect example of a "B-campaign," something that's unintentionally hilarious and thus a lot of fun to play through.  The plot is nonsensical, you wind up killing dozens of capital ships for no real reason whatsoever, the writing is full of lulz...basically, it's a total blast.  Plus, miraculously enough, the campaign doesn't have any significant bugs. :p

As for the original Silent Threat, probably its greatest flaw was that it had very little in the way of continuous plot progression.  Most of the missions were rather detached from one another, and only the very end of the campaign actually touched on what the whole thing was ostensibly about.  Besides that, many of the missions themselves had significant issues, ranging from being incredibly tedious to occasionally flat-out broken.  (That escape pod mission...ugh.)  Silent Threat: Reborn pretty much fixes every single one of these issues, with the end result being a campaign that's incredibly fun to play through and ties FS1 and FS2 together very nicely.  It's obviously never going to be truly canon, but I have no qualms about treating it as such in my own mind.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
SGWP2 is kind of the perfect example of a "B-campaign," something that's unintentionally hilarious and thus a lot of fun to play through.  The plot is nonsensical, you wind up killing dozens of capital ships for no real reason whatsoever, the writing is full of lulz...basically, it's a total blast.  Plus, miraculously enough, the campaign doesn't have any significant bugs. :p
I actually think that it could have been a particularly well-crafted troll. Some of the lines are just way too gold to be accidentally funny. I mean, seriously.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Maybe it's more of a case of Poe's Law. :D

Hello everyone. I just wanted to say thank you for all the work put into every single FreeSpace mod. I have always been a fan of everything related to the FSO project but have never expressed my gratitude. I have owned FS2 since 2001 (I think, +- a year) and my original game CDs are still in perfect condition.

I've been aware of the FSO project since a while after its inception. I figured it was time I ran through the campaigns again, see how the upgrades are going and while I'm at it, try out some of those custom campaigns everyone's so excited about.

I just finished the original campaign a few minutes ago and wanted to say thank you to everyone that allowed me to play it for the umpteenth time and still make it feel bloody epic!

So, for the third time in the same post, THANK YOU everyone, for everything.

Offline kisumu

This is the same overflowing mixture of joy, admiration and profound thanks I felt when I stumbled upon you lot last year. You're just great, guys! [vomit] In all seriousness I love you all.

Welcome Achilleas.k!

Someone do that mint beam jobby, I really don't think I'm OG enough to handle that kind of firepower.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
* Androgeos Exeunt fires his BABeam.

Over-using the beam is frowned upon here, so we don't really do it that much anymore.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline brandon

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
  • Oldschool
Hi everyone. I first played FreeSpace 2 in 2000, then after a few years, I packed my computer away and went about life. 4 years later,  I got the itch to play it again. I found the old demo, put it on my lap top, and then found GOG, and got the full game. This weekend I plan to sit down and play it. Eventually I plan to get a better computer, and i'll download the SCP. For now this is more than good enough!
Classic Gaming!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
:welcome:

You might be surprised at how low the hardware requirements for the SCP really are, provided you leave some of the higher-end bells and whistles turned off.  Still, I think there's some inherent value in playing through retail at least once, since it really illustrates how far the Upgrade team has come. :)

I could copy and paste the TC's entire post without being too off.  New, lurking a short while (got out FS2 again just last month), a bit fearful of FRED (not the one in Just Another Day though), and attempting to make sense of mod installations the best I can (there are a small number I can't seem to get to work no matter what but otherwise they seem doable). 

Anywho, hello.

*runs to avoid being completely incinerated by the HLJ Hard Light's Welcome Beam Cannon*

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Which campaigns are you having trouble with? I SUSPECT WE CAN MAKE THEM WURK