Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 228111 times)

Re: Official new people thread!
Evening gang, just heard about the wonderful FSO project as I was looking for games that support a HOTAS setup.  Just wanted to pop in and say hi while the launcher finishes up downloading everything.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Hello, AttractMode. How are you?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
:welcome:, y'all.  :)

Damn, now I made a new thread before seeing this  :D

But nonetheless, hello everyone!

Howdy, y'all!

Man oh man, I've been looking for a game like Diaspora for a long, long time. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means (2 sons and a wife in grad school), but I get time in here and there. Back in my single days, I was a big fan of the X-Wing series from LucasArts, but have been itching for one with more realistic physics ever since. A friend turned me on to Elite: Dangerous, but alas, my 5-yo MacBook Pro has a lot of trouble keeping up with it, with the screen often blacking out during any combat.

Haven't had any luck searching through the Steam, Gog.com, PS3, and Android libraries for a decent space game, and I was losing hope. Finally, while poking around space combat simulators on WikiPedia, and lo and behold, I see Diaspora: Shattered Armistice listed. I'm like, what?!? Not only does the game I'm looking for exist, it's based on BSG... and it's FREE!!?!?!? I installed it, was thrilled to find it worked, and so now I'm here!

I used to be a software engineer, too. So, maybe I can chip in on that front. I worked mostly on embedded systems in the wireless telecom industry (mostly in C in vxWorks), but that was many years ago, so I'm very rusty. My 5-yo is getting interested in coding, and I've gotten a little bit of that itch doing a teeny bit of R programming for work, so we'll see. I've only gotten through the tutorial missions and that first one so far.

The other main game I play these days is War Robots on my Android tablet, and I lead a clan there. Honestly, I can't really recommend that game, as it's been becoming more and more pay-to-win in the past few months. Also, their forum doesn't allow political debate, and that's something I also enjoy, so you may find me mixing it up in your political board shortly.

Anyway, hello again! I live in Austin, by the way.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Welcome aboard.

:welcomeblue:

Hello HLP!! I've been trying to register here for quite a long time, and just yesterday I got an AVALANCHE of confirmation e-mails! I fear JAD is now real, and I fear FRED [/ref]

My name's Kevin, going as jazzypanda in the internet mostly, and I'm quite a fan of the original Freespace. I first got an "OEM version" with a magazine in like 1999 which included half the original campaign... ran in software mode because I had no GFX card and it was my very first english lessons, too!

Since what I love the most is the voice acting, and considering that my recording gear is now "decent", I'm lending my voice if any acting is needed for whatever project you may have <3 (attachment) - please note that I'm not a real actor, but I can read smoothly and be somewhat expressive.
Everything this community has done for this game is just pure awesome, and I'm a bit ashamed that I can't contribute with more technical stuff. Anyway, gotta work with what we have :D

Finally, I'm not really used to forums nowadays, so I may be a bit lost here with the replies and the threads and the messages and the emails and everything :P You'll have to bear with this little internet Beta 2.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
Keep your friends close, and you Knossos closer.

Offline Abaddon

• Behind you, pilot!
Hey, I'm Jonathan, at university in New York State. Love FreeSpace, the fan campaigns, and the major productions too. I also play the original Descent games with the Rangers, as well as building some maps.

I'd love to help with stuff but my FREDding is rusty and I can pretty much only voice monotone sarcastic people. But anything that could keep Blue Planet moving along works for me!
There are four types of critics:
  (1)  People who reflexively criticize any idea (contrarians)
  (2)  People who enjoy making you suffer (sadists)
  (3)  People who are angry for no good reason (nuts)
  (4)  People with valid criticisms (bastards)
- S. A.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Welcome to you two as well!

:welcomepurple:

:welcomesilver:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You can tell e-mail confirmations started going through again.  Hooray for noobflood!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Since what I love the most is the voice acting, and considering that my recording gear is now "decent", I'm lending my voice if any acting is needed for whatever project you may have <3 (attachment) - please note that I'm not a real actor, but I can read smoothly and be somewhat expressive.

Hey, that's actually really good!  Not only do you have a fluent grasp of English and solid recording quality, you also have a good voice for voice acting.  You should post your demo in the voice acting board. :yes:

Offline Tyr74

Hi all, I'm Tyr.

I'm, or better i was before wife, kids and RL took over, avid player, a big fan of games of any kind especially space genre, but somehow descent, freespace and FS2 dodged my marks.

On the other hand I've played original elite, Elite 2 and FFE a lot, drove trough border quadrants of Wing Commander space in my Centurion a zillion times (i still have original 1994 WC:Privateer game stashed somwhere), and even my alt in EvE Online had over 100 million skill points before i quitted back in 2013, so one could say that I'm no stranger to space flight games.

Ok, that's einough for introduction, i hope i'll stick around to better know you all.
Fly safe, Tyr

Welcome aboard mister.

Since this is the official thread to do it, let me just introduce myself to everyone and say hi. I really like this community and it is time I finally made an account.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
zzzzzZZZZZ-*snrk*  Hmm?  Oh, new user. 

* jr2 slaps the big red button in front of him-

:welcome:

Offline Asliv

Hi,

I am new to the whole project.

I browsed a little and got a general overview.

I was wondering if there is a general explanation page with info like:

Okay you installed the game (Freespace 2) with FSO installer on standard mode
now it´s using automatically the mediaVPS (which is actually the latest version? as there are 3 or 4 different ones in the installer) when you start the game via the normal FS2.exe

OR In order to use mediavps you need to launch the game via xyz launcher"

How is the "wxlauncher" connected to all this?
"answer: bla bla bla"

You want to play FS1 with new graphics?
"answer: you can do x and then get y. Now you are ready. Just use the normal exe OR use launcher xyz"

I know the infos are scattered over the forum but just asking in case I didnt found the right page and could speed things a little up.

Thank you

PS.: awesome work

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Hi,

I am new to the whole project.

I browsed a little and got a general overview.

I was wondering if there is a general explanation page with info like:

Okay you installed the game (Freespace 2) with FSO installer on standard mode
now it´s using automatically the mediaVPS (which is actually the latest version? as there are 3 or 4 different ones in the installer) when you start the game via the normal FS2.exe

OR In order to use mediavps you need to launch the game via xyz launcher"

How is the "wxlauncher" connected to all this?
"answer: bla bla bla"

You want to play FS1 with new graphics?
"answer: you can do x and then get y. Now you are ready. Just use the normal exe OR use launcher xyz"

I know the infos are scattered over the forum but just asking in case I didnt found the right page and could speed things a little up.

Thank you

PS.: awesome work
Welcome :D !

Spare yourself getting through all of this mess. This is the simplest solution to all of your issues :) .
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Asliv

You Sir, are my hero for this week :D

Thank you so much.

Hello everybody. New to the community but have been playing freespace for years. Until recently I had everything working via steam. Unfortunately everything has now failed and I have no means of restoring it to the way I had it. Tried contacting steam and interplay and no avail.

I have come here in search of help to get this pride and joy from my time spent with my grandfather who recently passed away back to operational condition as slaying shivans was our greatest past time. Detailed step by step instrucitons perhaps even a video on how to install everything via windows 10 would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks from your newest member

Zehlayer

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Welcome! And I think I can steal a bit of this post as the simplest way to get FSO working (presuming you want that rather than retail fs2 working?)

This is the simplest solution to all of your issues :) .

edit: oops! Just saw that you also posted in the Knossos thread... ignore me & carry on!
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...