Author Topic: Major Shivan Assets  (Read 12640 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Any plans on rebuilding the Ravana? I have a unfinished one, that was meant to build upon the current HTL Ravana, and would be more than happy to donate it :)

Edit: As for the Moloch, I believe all it needs is a UVMap and a decent texture, because the model is very good as it is.
I'd actually like to take a look at that Ravana mesh, if you don't mind. Obj or 3ds formats are preferred. :)

IIRC, Trashman made a HTL Demon. It was a long time ago and knowing Trashman, it's not without issues, but the model was pretty.
No it wasn't. It was basically a smoothed Demon with slightly different mapping in areas.

I wish peterv was still around so I could ask about his, but sadly he seems to be AWOL. Hope the guy's okay.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Not that I'm a modeler dude, but I think the hard thing with the Demon is that even the original FS1 model is an extremely well-realized design, probably one of the best in the game, to the point where there's not some glaringly obvious major overhaul.  Yeah, there are some spots that plainly suggest some greebling or modeled hull plating, but beyond that, it requires quite a bit of thought.

That point aside, I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. :)

Not that I'm a modeler dude, but I think the hard thing with the Demon is that even the original FS1 model is an extremely well-realized design, probably one of the best in the game, to the point where there's not some glaringly obvious major overhaul.

Except for the missile launchers and single part turrets.

That aside,
I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. :)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along

I'd actually like to take a look at that Ravana mesh, if you don't mind. Obj or 3ds formats are preferred. :)

Sure thingy, although I'm afraid you'll be underwhelmed. I'll fire up a PM.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not that I'm a modeler dude, but I think the hard thing with the Demon is that even the original FS1 model is an extremely well-realized design, probably one of the best in the game, to the point where there's not some glaringly obvious major overhaul.  Yeah, there are some spots that plainly suggest some greebling or modeled hull plating, but beyond that, it requires quite a bit of thought.

That point aside, I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. :)

I don't think I would ever call it "well-realized"... It's just a big round thing. But yes, you are correct that there is very little texture detail or otherwise from which to glean ideas and that it will take some thought.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I guess I mean that in the sense that its shape fits into its role.  It's a big hulking slab of a ship, something that looks like it can take one hell of a pounding, and the claws hanging down call to mind a nasty bulbous spider.  Or maybe I just have a strange imagination. :p

Offline Skarab

I'm a bit curious, when it comes to the textures, what's the current line of though on implementing (or not) the animated / flashing red glows present on some of the older htl shivan ships.  Personally I love the idea if done right, but  I haven't seen them on any of the current crop of updated Shivan assets.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The problem with animated glowmaps (as awesome as they are) is that they're immense ressource hogs. There are possible ways of doing them that do not involve dozens upon dozens of textures that the engine needs to cycle through, but to do them, code support is needed.

In other words, we kinda want to do them, but given that they're rather work- and ressource-intensive, we think it's better to hold off on them until easier and cheaper (in terms of game ressources) ways of doing them have been implemented.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Skarab

That makes perfect sense. Indeed they are awesome, hopefully at some point in the future there's a better way to implement them.  They really made the Shivan ships stand apart from the other races even more than they already do.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's probable that on some of the ships that had a very distinct animated glow.. (Rahu, Ravana, etc) we can UV them in such a way to retain it. For fighters, I'm really not to stressed about losing the animated glow for now.

Offline Skarab

I'd agree on the fighters for sure... looks great in the ship lab but glows on something the size of a fighter during actual gameplay would be near impercieveable.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It is noticeable, but not important. Animated glowmaps are best left for Advanced VPs.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A little late to the party there, eh Dragon? :lol:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah. I guess the humidity is doing a number on me. :)

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Hello FSU Team,

I have UVmapped most of the HTL Azrael** except for the bottom "canisters".  Right now b/c of Inferno and other RL responsibilities, I can't work on UVing the mesh anymore.  So whoever wants to take up the mantle, the DAE (only half the ship) file attached herein.

R

**As seen here (original thread): http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=60250

[attachment deleted by a ninja]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'll take a look. I've already begun UVing the Azrael myself too...

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
So maybe not worth the bump, but I am resuming work on Moloch now that I'm back. Should have some progress over the next few weeks, and as it gets closer to completion I'll be sure to post screens.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
So maybe not worth the bump, but I am resuming work on Moloch now that I'm back. Should have some progress over the next few weeks, and as it gets closer to completion I'll be sure to post screens.
Give that man a six pack of beer! I can't wait to see the result :D
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.