Author Topic: What is Hard Light Productions? A quick explanation.  (Read 13485 times)

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
What is Hard Light Productions? A quick explanation.
1. What is FreeSpace?

FreeSpace: The Great War and FreeSpace 2 are mission-based space combat simulators, like X-Wing/TIE Fighter and Wing Commander. Among the greatest games of the genre, they were also effectively the last.

The FreeSpace series follows humanity and their Vasudan allies as they fight to withstand the xenocidal, enigmatic Shivans, a species of unknown origin, vast technological capability, and seemingly limitless malice.

2. What is Hard Light Productions?

HLP is a fan community built on love and open-source code. We're dedicated to bringing modders together and giving them a place to share their own hard work and draw inspiration from the work of others. Thanks to Volition's generosity, we've continued development of FreeSpace 2 as FreeSpace Open, building graphical enhancements to bring the original games up to modern standards, telling new stories set in the FreeSpace universe and original worlds, and creating spectacular total conversions that let players fly in the beloved universes of Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Wing Commander, and Star Wars.

3. Why is FreeSpace significant after all these years?

First, the original games were fantastic - a complete package of snappy gameplay, strong writing, and excellent voice casting (particularly in FreeSpace 2). The series' cliffhanger ending triggered years of debate and imagination.

Second, FreeSpace is really easy to mod, and we've only made it easier. FRED, the FreeSpace editor, is a powerful, easy-to-learn tool for mission-building. You can create anything from your wild beam-fueled apocalypse dreams to BioWare-style RPG conversations, from stirring cutscenes to taco shopping. Whether you choose to make and publish your own creations or simply enjoy the vast library of excellent campaigns made by others, there's no denying that HLP's fan works are an essential part of what keeps us a strong fan community.

Lastly, we just haven't seen anything as good as FreeSpace. While the open-world space sim genre has done all right, with FreeLancer, X, and Eve Online among its notables, there simply haven't been any good mission-driven space sims.

4. Sounds cool! Can I join?
HLP welcomes all sorts. Whether you want to make missions, build ships, code improvements to the engine, or simply play play play - we want you on board.

Links:
Good Old Games: a 100% legal, DRM-free site that sells both FreeSpace games for cheap. HLP recommends buying FreeSpace here, rather than getting it from other, less legal sources.

Steam: Freespace 2 is also available from Steam, the leading digital distribution platform for PC gaming.

Official New People Thread: Exactly what is says on the tin! Introduce yourself, ask for starting directions, and be saluted by our welcome beams.

Getting Started: What every new member should know about FreeSpace and HLP.

Installing FreeSpace Open: How to install FreeSpace Open. Remember, FSO is not a standalone; you need to legally purchase FreeSpace 2 for it to work!

Battuta's Guide to finding your first (or next!) campaign: A very useful (though not exhaustive) guide to some of our best campaigns. Not sure what to play? Look at the guide and see what sounds interesting- the variety is incredible!

Glossary: List and explanation of commonly used FreeSpace and HLP terms.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:05:44 am by Goober5000 »
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Re: What is Hard Light Productions? A quick explanation.
Modernized it a bit? Thanks.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Did I write some of this or am I just an egomaniac?

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Could have... I seem to recall InsaneBaron preparing it on some request from some moderator or other. Probably there was some plan for the post beforehand.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:34:22 pm by HLD_Prophecy »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Link to knossos where?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Link to knossos where?

The 'Installing FreeSpace Open' link links to the recently updated installation guide, which has links to Knossos in big friendly letters ;-)

It does? I saw a terrifying manual installation checklist which made me, an FSO vet, feel like installing FSO was impossible. And ctrl-f Knossos didn't find anything.

edit: Oh I'm going off the original post, not your edited one

Offline HLD_Prophecy

I seem to recall Axem had some kine video on his channel with a "Best of HLP" assortment showing off that year's best.

Would be cool if we could do that again.

Also Goober wanted me to get some Scroll let's play done. Will happen if I can at all make it work.  :nod: