Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1399 times)

Just joined recently, been lurking a bit (kinda shy.)

I'm horribly late to the party, I only just started playing Freespace a few months ago, but I love it senseless. I'd been looking for a space flight game to keep me well entertained and this... this is it.
Freespace 2 has given me feelings I don't get much when playing video games. Even the story and how it played out, with the Shivans keeping everyone on their toes and eventually forcing them to flee...  leaving their future uncertain. Those Shivans aren't quite the usual antagonists. That's what I like though, I like being faced against an enemy found to be overwhelming.
Each time you'd think you've beaten them back well enough, they come back stronger.
And stronger.
You destroy the Ravana? Surprise, here comes a Sathanas to devastate the GTVA.
Oh you destroyed the Sathanas now? Have about a hundred more. Also, no more Capella!

Yeah I only wish there could've been a Freespace 3.
But at least there's all these cool campaigns and mods around!
That and I'm a modder too so this all still being new to me will keep me for a long while.
It's good to see that the community for this is still alive, I'm hoping it stays that way. Cause this really is a great game series and although there may never be a 3rd Freespace game, at least there's plenty of promising projects even still being worked on.

So I'm glad to be here.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Welcome! You're in for a major treat if you're just starting out with the FSO mod scene. The quantity of campaigns' for FS is often emphasized in reviews, but it's the quality of those mods that has been a hallmark of releases over the past several years. If you haven't already, check out Vassago's Dirge, Blue Planet and Between the Ashes for three super high quality campaigns (equal to or better than Volition's own stuff) that'll take you through non canon but fun events from before, during and after FS2. Hours of FS gameplay in those campaigns alone, and tonnes more beyond them.

Out of curiosity, what got you into FS?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Welcome! You're in for a major treat if you're just starting out with the FSO mod scene. The quantity of campaigns' for FS is often emphasized in reviews, but it's the quality of those mods that has been a hallmark of releases over the past several years. If you haven't already, check out Vassago's Dirge, Blue Planet and Between the Ashes for three super high quality campaigns (equal to or better than Volition's own stuff) that'll take you through non canon but fun events from before, during and after FS2. Hours of FS gameplay in those campaigns alone, and tonnes more beyond them.

Out of curiosity, what got you into FS?

I'd just been looking for a good space flight game. I played the first 3 Descent games when I was younger. Heard of Freespace but never got to play it, mainly because of my struggle to get ahold of a decent computer to play it on... well, the potato I own now is good enough, so I snagged Freespace and had a blast.

I'm sort of a sci-fi fanatic. My enthusiasm of flight and astronomy also ties into that a little. Had quite a few flight games, mainly from the Ace Combat series, but I'd always been lacking in space flight.

I will definitely look into those mods, I have Blue Planet, but have been putting it off because I heard so many good things about it, I just kind of wanna save that for later. (I put the best things off for last a lot of times.) Getting antsy about playing it though, might end up firing it up sooner.