Author Topic: Xpadder?!  (Read 4065 times)

I just fired up Freespace 2 for the first time, and was trying to map my controls using xpadder. I have been using it for years to play games in exactly the way that feels right to me. I like that it allows for different sets while buttons are held. I thought this could be useful for all the many controls in Freespace. I am really excited to get everything set up perfectly so I can start playing. The only issue is: the game doesnt seem to register any buttons being pressed?!  It is noticing my controller and has its own keys mapped to it by default (which i deleted) but it wont let me treat the controller as a keyboard by way of xpadder. I have never had an issue like this with xpadder. Is there something I am missing? Or do you guys know the best way to map the controls to a controller? I have a ps4/ps3/logitech/ or an 8bitdo nes30 pro at my disposal. I would prefer to use the ps4 controller.

I use a ps3 controller with scpserver and xpadder and have no problem with fso
Scpserver treat the ps3 controller as an xbox controller and xpadder does the rest.
Anyway I don't use the switch set feature it has been buggy for me, instead I use freespace "natural" key modifiers with shift/alt mapped to L1/R1

How do I access the "natural" key modifier?

I am using my controller without the program that registers it as an xbox controller (ds4 for me) because xpadder sees it just fine without and i thought that was all that mattered. It would seem that having freespace see the controller is what is messing me up. I want it to ignore it completely so it will only be detected as key strokes through xpadder. I guess I will try it with ds4 and see if it makes a difference. Thank you for your response.

What I call "natural" modifiers are set inside FSO options when you configure your keyboard keys. At the bottom left of the screen you can choose Alt and/or shift to add to the key. Ctrl is also accesible with messing with the controlconfigdefault table, but even without that you can configure almost anything to your stick (the only things I still do with the keyboard are energy settings and comm menu). If you want I can give you my key bindings.

I dont really want to change any of freespace's native controls, I just want to be able to map them to my controller through xpadder without the game already trying to assume button mapping. My problem is that even though xpadder is seeing my controller, none of the inputs are registering in freespace accept for the ones it assumes (like dpad look around). I just want to make freespace ignore my controller, and only see xpadder, so that i can map everything through xpadder exactly how i want it. I have tried setting joystick to none in the natural config, but it has no effect. I am trying to play the original freespace 2 though, I keep seeing "FSO" in posts, and I am guessing that is the "open" project? I dont know if that one behaves differently, or even how to obtain it yet (havent looked). I just wanted to start with the original campaign before trying all of that, but at this point I would be happy to play any iteration so long as i could get it to work with xpadder. I still have yet to play this game, and it is driving me crazy. I can already see how much potential this game has to be amazing, but I am very particular about using a gamepad, and i think that xpadder would be the most ideal setup, because of its extensive mapping capabilities (like multiple sets).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Are you using wxLauncher to choose the controller that FS uses?  Windows might be listing the peripherals first, followed by xpadder's virtual device, and just using the first thing it finds by default.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Are you using wxLauncher to choose the controller that FS uses?
I am trying to play the original freespace 2
If he's not using FSO, I highly doubt he's using wxLauncher.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ah, gotcha.  Well, then the same suggestion, but using the FreeSpace2.exe launcher instead of wxLauncher.

Xpadder doesn't create a virtual device, that's vjoy. Xpadder just translates input to keyboard/mouse presses.
The best solution would be to just use wxlauncher with FSO and select "none" in the joystick select dropdown.

If for some reason you'd like to play FS2 without the graphical upgrades you can do that too.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

I do as FrikgFeek says but I set my joystick in the launcher  (because I map only the axis in FSO so my controller needs to be recognised) the rest of my options are just keyboard keys that I map to the joystick via xpadder and it's working flawlessly. Perhaps you should try to use FSO with wxlauncher as he suggests

Oh wow, so you are using your joystick to get accurate axis input, as well as using xpadder for the rest?? I was just planning on mapping the num pad to my left analog, but i am thinking your way might allow for a more sensitive/accurate feel..  so i looked into FSO and just downloaded the wxLauncher along with the fs2_open_3_7_0_NO-SSE file. Now I have a big long list of files and applications all in the original fs2 programs folder. I am trying to follow the wiki to get it all set up. Hopefully I will have it figured out soon. I am using an i3 with native gfx and chose the original fs2 originally, hoping it would be less intensive on my laptop. Ive just had my coffee and Im about to dive into it all now. Thank you all for your quick responses. I am used to forums that fetch vague, irrelevant, one-liners; and take half a week to do so. I still have yet to actually experience this majestic looking game, but I am already incredibly grateful for  its community. Ill update soon.

Right quick though.. I am very intrigued by the large amounts of mods and expansions that seem to have been based on this game; do any of you have suggestions on what your favorites are, or which ones are best to experience first? Do any feature online co-op, or v.s.?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Christ we have way too many disparate installation instructions.  That's definitely worth chucking into the Let's Talk thread.

fs2_open_3_7_0_NO-SSE ... are you really running a system with a CPU over a decade old?

Ok.. now Im confused. Did I locate the wrong file then, I take it?? I just want to play this damn game. It came out in 99, I really didnt think I would have a problem playing it on my laptop. I understand that there are all these new developments with Freespace, but I would be happy just playing the original campaign. My only roadblock was the inability to recognize xpadder. I did go ahead and download wxlauncher and attempt the manual installation the wiki describes. I even got it to open and run in 1366x768, and I got it to recognize xpadder (which was the original issue). Now the only problem is that I have no sound.

I feel I am getting close. As soon as I get the sound working, I should be able to finally enjoy this game. I am determined. I will play this game. Thank you all for your input. Any advice on the sound issue would be great, and I would still be interested to know what your favorite versions/mods were.

Chances are, unless the cpu in your computer is over a decade (or perhaps more) older, it should be able to handle SSE2 or even AVX, which will mean better performance, which is main reason this was mentioned: low level stuff involving which commands your hardware can understand.

Anywho, what kind of sound card do you have on the system?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Do you have OpenAL installed?

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Are you using wxLauncher to choose the controller that FS uses?
I am trying to play the original freespace 2
If he's not using FSO, I highly doubt he's using wxLauncher.

Why would anyone not play Freespace 2 Open?  :D