Author Topic: Newbie in the house  (Read 2730 times)

Newbie in the house
Greetings FreeSpace pilots of old & new.  I'm an avid PC sci-fi RTS (Stellaris) & 4x gamer - having played  X-Wing/TIE Fighter and Wing Commander at 1st launch back in the day -  and ecstatic to be one of this wonderful community.
I have a few questions, kindly indulge me: 1. How/where do I obtain an Avatar?  2. What is the meaning of 2 to the nth power in the far left poster's id column?  3. I believe I've downloaded all of the FS2 mods thru Hard Light correctly & completely as they all show as  "logs" in my Download Directory, but since I'm playing as a remedial beginner I may not recognize a mod from the initial creation playing through.  Are there subtle seams, folds or pleats that are identifiable? 
:)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:02:45 pm by Beowulf Agate »
Metaphysical Theory:
Everything is One...You.  You are so much greater than the outline of your body.
Everything is Many...Objects. You are to the extent of your skin.
Reality is either or neither; herein lies the illusion

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Newbie in the house
Welcome to the fold!

1. How/where do I obtain an Avatar? 

Profile > Forum Profile, it should be first option. You have to bring your own avatar.

3. I believe I've downloaded all of the FS2 mods thru Hard Light correctly & completely as they all show as  "logs" in my Download Directory, but since I'm playing as a remedial beginner I may not recognize a mod from the initial creation playing through.  Are there subtle seams, folds or pleats that are identifiable?

A launcher (e.g. wxLauncher) should have everything aside besides for the graphics and control options
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:26:08 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
*cough, wheeze, rasp* Where are your manners, 0rph3u5?   ;)

Main battery, target Beowulf Agate.  Commence plasma core insertion. FIRE!

:welcome:

@ ORPH3u5:  I don't understand "A launcher (e.g. wxLauncher) should have everything aside for the graphics and control options".  Don't I choose which mod to apply when I open a game? If so, how? If not, which mod(s) are applicable?  :blah:
Metaphysical Theory:
Everything is One...You.  You are so much greater than the outline of your body.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
@ ORPH3u5:  I don't understand "A launcher (e.g. wxLauncher) should have everything aside for the graphics and control options".  Don't I choose which mod to apply when I open a game? If so, how? If not, which mod(s) are applicable?  :blah:

You use FSOInstaller to download & install FSOpen and all the mods.

Now, to launch FS2 Open, you use a launcher, that passes arguments (options) to the FSOpen engine (like, what mod to load, and what resolution to run at).  The current best launcher is wxLauncher, which you should have been able to install using FSOInstaller.  Find wxLauncher in your Start Menu, and open it.  If it asks, point it at where you installed FSOpen to.  (Please note, FSOpen must be installed in the same folder as a retail install of FS2, although it can also install retail FS2 from a GOG installer for you).

Does that help?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

Small mistake on my part it should read "besides" instead of "aside" (I am a bit off my game today)

(saved by jr2 - thanks  :yes: )

*cough, wheeze, rasp* Where are your manners, 0rph3u5?   ;)

I keep forgetting the command for the welcome beam to remember more FREDing tricks and rules for mission design - it's kinda important :P
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

I keep forgetting the command for the welcome beam to remember more FREDing tricks :P

Don't beat yourself up, one of those two skills is actually useful for more than forum tricks.  ;)  I'll show myself out now.   :warp:

PS: If it helps you remember, we like to : welcome : our guests, yes?

@Orph3u5: I installed wxLauncher in the same directory as FS2, was asked to name it, I named and saved it "Launcher" yet it wouldn't open without an error msg!?  I'm at a loss.  I'm enjoying the game without a mod just like back in the day years ago.  I guess I don't deserve one.  Stay strong bigguy  :nod:
Metaphysical Theory:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Are you asking how to tell what is official and what is fan made?

If so, for the official FS2 experience with the modern graphical upgrades, the mod you want is called (I believe this is still the latest version)  "mediavps2014". For FS1, you'll want fsport mediavps.

Everything else is fan made, though Silent Threat Reborn retells a canon storyline with all of the errors fixed and the missions drastically improved, and in some places entirely replaced/added to). It's definitely worth playing, and is more or less accepted as the definitive version of the Silent Threat storyline, probably more so even than Volition's original ST campaign.

[EDIT]Oh and the 2^n is basically your post count, or the highest power of two that your lost count has exceeded anyway.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 09:46:01 pm by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Thanks BW. I'll give it another try. Have you read me above?  I'm having trouble with my wxLauncher :(
Metaphysical Theory:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
For the best FreeSpace 2 experience, play the FreeSpace Blue remaster included with Blue Planet!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Thanks BW. I'll give it another try. Have you read me above?  I'm having trouble with my wxLauncher :(

You should actually install wxLauncher to its own folder.  Then, when it opens, point it to FS2's folder.  It's one of the only things not made to operate from the FS2 folder, as there are Total Conversions, like Diaspora, that aren't necessarily in the FS2 folder.  wxLauncher can manage multiple game installations based on the FS2 Open engine, and the mods that are installed for each of them.

So uninstall wxLauncher, and install it to \Program Files (x86)\wxLauncher or whereever it wants to go by default, then open it.