Author Topic: Radar Icons-dots only  (Read 2308 times)

Radar Icons-dots only
every mod rader is only with dots,what did i do worng?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Radar Icons-dots only
Depending on the mod, custom assets tend to not have any associated icons so they default to a dot. Which mods are they?

asw act 1 and 2 ,blue planet,fs port 3.5

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
If I'm not mistaken, those don't have their own table for ship icons. They'd need something like MV_RadarIcons.vp which contains radar-shp.tbm that you can get for MediaVPs 2014.

That table would then need to be filled with entries such as this for each ship being used:
Code: [Select]
$Name:         GTF Ulysses
  +nocreate
$Radar Image 2D:    radar-fighter

to post a log?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That shouldn't be necessary. It isn't a matter of something being done wrong that prevents it from loading, but that the mods don't have anything to be told to load.

For example, UEF ships in Blue Planet are shown on the radar as dots, but most GTVA ships have icons. It's loading that table from MV_RadarIcons.vp in the MediaVPs 2014 folder. Let's say it's overwritten by adding a new radar-shp.tbm to Blue Planet's Data/Tables folder.

Those two Sathanas icons are actually Narayanas, because I made the table telling it to do this:
Code: [Select]
#Ship Classes

;;UEF

$Name:         UEFg Narayana
  +nocreate
$Radar Image 2D:    radar-sathanas

#End

With a proper list containing the rest of the species references and ship classes you'd then eventually have radar icons for all ships.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Regarding Blue Planet, I am pretty sure there IS a radar icons pack for Blue Planet. My BP installation is pretty messy, but from somewhere I have  "AAA BP Complete 2015 2D SuperRadarIcons" and "bp2-radaricons" vp archives.

I don't think ASW has any radar icon packs.

I also think that FSPort 3.5 should have working radar icons - I don't remember whether is it in FSPort by default or via MediaVPs2014 compatibility patch though...
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
You're right about the bp2-radaricons.vp, I've forgotten about that. My BP install was done through the installer, and while I did see an icons table, I believe it was the kind used for briefing maps. There wasn't anything I could immediately recognize as being radar icons.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
ASW has an own radar-icon pack aswell you have to download.

But afaik it is not included in the FSOInstaller.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

There have been some modpack changes since the original release of BP2 so those radaricons might not work perfectly. I've tabled my own set with a Karuna icon for the frigates made by myself and a fortress bomber icon for the Gorgon, Nephilim, and Seraphim made by Caiaphas if I recall correctly.
If you're still having problems I can upload those somewhere and give you a link.

I also played with radar image sizes and 3D radar 'blip' sizes to get the icons to scale up according to ship size. So a frigate icon is roughly ~2.5 times larger than a fighter icon so they stand out more and don't get lost when you set radar to infinity in a big mission.

Here's an example of what it looks like.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:09:04 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded