Author Topic: Last updated VP??  (Read 21652 times)

Offline iVoid

Yes, I did get a bit carried away, I apologise. But it is one thing to make suggestions and another completely different thing to do demands and I did not make demands. I also made those suggestions to get your opinions. Do you think it would be worth it or not? Mjn's opinion is clearly that there is no such thing as a communication problem, does everybody else agree? It wouldn't make sense to just start without even asking, and debating is what threads are for, is it not? If nobody else is then yes, I am willing to make those threads to help out, but I won't do it if when I ask a member of the FSU team about the status of something they snap so easily... I can understand getting angry about people saying stupid stuff like simply "UPDATE NOW!", but getting worked up when people are trying to be reasonable? Some members of the team seem very oversensitive.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:38:19 pm by iVoid »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Okay, so for starters: This thread isn't getting locked, people asking for it to be, just stop.

mjn.mixael: go take a break. Enjoy some sunshine. Play with your kids. I get your point and where you are coming from, but now it's getting a little out of hand in here, so take a breather.

Phantom Hoover: Whether or not anybody agrees on anything (much less to disagree) is irrelephant, but thank you for the reply anyway. We do want updates and progress out there just as badly as you do, but that doesn't stop us from being busy folk in our own right. As I mentioned, with the exception of moving, I've dealt with everything Bob did and then some.

iVoid and everybody else: FSU as a group, we're gatekeepers for the most part. That the majority of us are also content creators has been an unimaginable bonus as of late, but it hasn't always the case. We're just these people, doing this thing. And that doesn't mean that we have to be the only ones ever doing anything.

Because at the end of the day, it is a community project. Anybody and everybody can volunteer whatever, whenever. So in some regards, some of us are going to be a little sensitive to complaints that we're not getting everything done when people expect it, because it is rather frustrating feeling like we're the only ones that care when we're the only ones that are the ones doing it.

As previously mentioned, while not optimal, anybody else could have put together a VP collection of all the currently released ships into a bolt-on VP for the existing MediaVPs as a "tide folk over" effort, general good will, whatever.

What's out there right now is out there to be used, which is why it's out there. While what we are doing is very fairly large, putting a few ships into a package would be a wonderful way (and a vital part) of getting people used to the other parts of content creation and distribution, especially if they can eloquently and politely address "newcomer" shortfalls in the system that we have already gotten used to or adapted in such a way as to forget.

Given that tempuratures inside and outside have been rising of late, I'll be more than happy to continue engaging on any further conversation on this issue, which is why I feel it is important that it stays open. We'll address internally what we feel we need to, no worries about that. But as for what is external, lets discuss it, shall we?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Of the ships in the MediaVPs Changelog sticky, would I be right in saying that the:

Charybdis
Colossus
Poseidon
TC2
TSC2
Cerebus
Watchdog
Alastor
TTC1
Hermes
VAC4
Aeshma
Basilisk
Dragon
Nahema
Nephilim
Rakshasa
Taurvi
Astaroth
Trident
Belial
Shivan Comm Node

Are unfinished or currently unavailable?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:01:55 am by Killer Whale »

Rakshasa is definitively available. I think you also missed the Knossos as a finished but unavailable asset.

EDIT - see below
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:30:09 am by X3N0-Life-Form »

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Knossos is available here, it's not in the MediaVPs changelog though, any reason for that? Not accepted by FSU?
Ah, just found the rakshasa. Looks sweet.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Those download links for the Knossos don't appear to be working anymore.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Arpit

Those download links for the Knossos don't appear to be working anymore.

Huh, they are working for me right now.  :confused:
Check again 'coz I can't attach it due to the size limit.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I can't test the link right now but if it doesn't work I'm pretty sure the new knossos is included in ASW 2.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Well I downloaded it today, converted the pngs to dds's, then spent a while mucking around the F3 lab trying to force catalyst to do AA on the darn thing (I gave up) so yeah, it worked for me.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
the F3 lab trying to force catalyst to do AA on the darn thing (I gave up)
In FSO you're stuck with shader based anti-aliasing. At the moment FSO only offers FXAA, but perhaps one day they will include SMAA too.

Some people claim they've managed to get some form of driver controlled AA to work with Nvidia cards, but never seen any proof of it working on AMD cards. At one point I thought supersampling AA worked, but no dice.

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
I can't speak to all the assets on that list but the ones I've had a hand in have been collaborative efforts and while most of those are done and fairly well tested by now they have not been released to the public yet. I think that has more to do with the way in which they were developed than just us holding on to them. You will notice that those assets that have been released have had only one or two authors at most and thus permission and credit is easier to dish out and the developers have more control over when and how they are released. A lot of those Shivan assets where collaborative efforts made between myself, and both the Inferno and FSU teams before I joined either of them so releasing them outside the media vp's is complicated.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
FTR I haven't looked at this forum since my last post.

I do not get why the FSU SVN is private, I mean I get why anonymous commits are forbidden obviously, but I don't get why anyone cannot get the unstable MVPs (source files) at any time for any reason. this is not like most other projects, everything in it is known and publicly available, there are no plot twists or surprises. As has been said we can hypothetically make them ourselves. so why the secrecy? it would be a hell of a lot easier for people to contribute if they could get working copies of the development files in their current state. FSO is open source, why isn't the FSU? I think that would address a number of issues.

I think it might be a good idea for FSU to move to a multichannel release process, similar to how chrome does it this might practically speaking require transitioning to git, but the benefits are you would have a much smoother and regular release cycle (this makes management easier for YOU, all of the big companies moving to a rapid release cycle is NOT just a fashion trend). you would have a stable branch, a bugfix branch, and a dev branch. all new work is done on the dev branch. bugfixes happen in bugfix, when bugfixes are ready to be released they get merged into stable, and then stable gets merged back into dev. stable will be the state of the last publicly released MVP set, bugfix would be what beta testers use and dev would be what developers use (except in the case of major version releases, in which case beta testers would use dev, or a release candidate branch could be used). keep in mind all of this could be completely automated and managed simply by applying tags to a commit.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I do not get why the FSU SVN is private, I mean I get why anonymous commits are forbidden obviously, but I don't get why anyone cannot get the unstable MVPs (source files) at any time for any reason. this is not like most other projects, everything in it is known and publicly available, there are no plot twists or surprises. As has been said we can hypothetically make them ourselves. so why the secrecy? it would be a hell of a lot easier for people to contribute if they could get working copies of the development files in their current state. FSO is open source, why isn't the FSU? I think that would address a number of issues.
Because of bandwidth limitations. Those who use Zacam's SVN for their projects experience slow download/upload speed frequently. If you allow public access to even one of the big projects, the remaining bandwidth disappears and causes grief to project members trying to do their work. Not to mention to Zacam and rev_posix themselves.

I think it might be a good idea for FSU to move to a multichannel release process, similar to how chrome does it this might practically speaking require transitioning to git, but the benefits are you would have a much smoother and regular release cycle (this makes management easier for YOU, all of the big companies moving to a rapid release cycle is NOT just a fashion trend). you would have a stable branch, a bugfix branch, and a dev branch. all new work is done on the dev branch. bugfixes happen in bugfix, when bugfixes are ready to be released they get merged into stable, and then stable gets merged back into dev. stable will be the state of the last publicly released MVP set, bugfix would be what beta testers use and dev would be what developers use (except in the case of major version releases, in which case beta testers would use dev, or a release candidate branch could be used). keep in mind all of this could be completely automated and managed simply by applying tags to a commit.
It would, no doubt about that. But the problem is, where would you host the svn (or any other kind of version control), how much it would cost and who would pay for it? SVN however is still most suitable in handling game assets that consists mostly of binary files. More so than Git anyway.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
How large are the MVPs, even without all the source files and testing subfolders you guys are sure to have ? 4-ish GB ? Triple that at least with aforementioned source files and subfolders.

Yeah, that's not gonna work nice on a public svn, unless you get it hosted on Google's own servers.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A current "build" of the mvps with all the bells and whistles runs to ~5 GB of data.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
where would you host the svn (or any other kind of version control), how much it would cost and who would pay for it?

is there any current information on any of these questions? list of hosts and how much they would cost? or is this a complete unknown?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, go Google it and then tell us how much you are paying for.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Talking about pay-for-work at HLP is more or less taboo. We are a community centered around the enjoyment of modding, so once a modder gets paid for his contribution here, what makes HLP unique will simply dissolve into another Kickstarter venture.  We do not want that...

R

Exactly my point, though I may not have been clear. This thread had seemed to devolve into a complaining fest, by some, about how people (with jobs and families and lives) were not going fast enough to suit the posters. This is a community, not an "Everybody do things to please me" blog site.

However it's good to see things have calmed down :)

Offline iVoid

Of the ships in the MediaVPs Changelog sticky, would I be right in saying that the:

Charybdis
Colossus
Poseidon
TC2
TSC2
Cerebus
Watchdog
Alastor
TTC1
Hermes
VAC4
Aeshma
Basilisk
Dragon
Nahema
Nephilim
Rakshasa
Taurvi
Astaroth
Trident
Belial
Shivan Comm Node

Are unfinished or currently unavailable?
Other than those on that list, I've also been unable to find working download links for the following ones:

Hades
Typhon
Osiris
Mara
Seraphim

Can anyone please confirm this?

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Hades and Typhon are on the latest FSPort-MVP and the Osiris is the FSPort-Upgrade subforum: Download it now!.
Mara and Seraphim have not been released AFAIK.