Author Topic: RELEASE: Flames of War - Chapter 1 Demo (10 missions)  (Read 18485 times)

Re: RELEASE: Flames of War - Chapter 1 Demo (10 missions)
You could have also just opened the mission in FRED and looked at it. :p What happened to the lust for experimentation?

Duh! :slaps his head hard:
Why do the simplest solutions always seem to be overlooked? :D
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

@ Herra,

Moment of inertia usually has the symbol "I" or sometimes "J" if it is the "polar moment of inertia."  It is for rotation what mass is for linear motion.  The moment of inertia for an object is generally the integration of r2dm over the volume of the object.

Most everyone is familar with the formula for kinetic energy EK=.5mv2
Well, there is a similar formula for rotational kinetic energy EKr=.5Iω2

Maybe you are familar with the concept but use a different name?
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Yeah, I although "moment of inertia" does not include everything that is related to the term. Adding term "polar" increases comprehensibility a lot. I do know what it's about, the english term just confused me a bit. Letter "J" I know better than I would like. :D

Also, what you posted is rotational energy of a rigid body. It's related to momentum, but it's not the same thing... I trust you know that?

Linear momentum is p=mv and similarly angular momentum is L = Jω = M dt

in which J is analogous to mass m and ω (angular velocity) is analogous to velocity v.

J is derived from the mass and shape of the body. Alternatively, L can be defined via momentum (M) gained in a time (dt) (momentum being calculated by simply M = r x F), but in this case it's rather called impulse momentum and it implies a change in the rotational momentum L.

Rotational energy and linear kinetic energy are also related to momentum, as

Ek=kinetic energy, Er=rotational energy

Ek = Integral p dv = Integral (mv) dv = ½ m v^2 + C

Er= Integral L dω = Integral (Jω) dω = ½ J ω^2 + C

If v and ω are constant (as they are in one given moment), C = 0 in both cases, giving the familiar equations for both linear kinetic energy and rotational energy. ;7
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

much algebra...

I think the term "moment" was misleading you because in English that refers to the action of integrating a term about an axis, not "of or relating to momentum."  I gave examples in terms of kinetic energy of rigid bodies because that is one that most people get exposed to in highschool.  Not everyone goes on a masochistic bender in college and tries for hard science or engineering degrees.  ;)

I figured it was probably a language issue, anyway.  That term has been badly abused in English because there are actually three properties that get lumped under the "moment of inertia" moniker.  You have the "I" mass moment of inertia, the "J" polar mass moment of inertia, and then we have something that really shouldn't be called moment of inertia at all, but for some stupid reason it is.  They even use the same symbol "I" for it.  The correct term is "2nd moment of area," and it is property of cross-sections.  I use it in my work all the time to figure out deformed shapes of objects under load, the simplest example being a cantilevered beam.  Ix-axis = Integral [y(x)2]dA

Confused the heck out of me when I was just starting my undergrad because my engineering professors used "moment of inertia" to mean one thing and my physics professors used it to mean something else.  Since I very much doubt any computer (yet) has the horsepower to model ships as deformable bodies in a realtime combat simulator, I expect we're talking about mass moment of inertia here.   :p
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Since I very much doubt any computer (yet) has the horsepower to model ships as deformable bodies in a realtime combat simulator...

Ragdoll FS_Open for the win... :nervous:

:lol:

Would be nice, having ship debris to hang together by some cables and spinning around each other... and colliding into things... :mad2:

But, I think it's time to end this thread hijack here - thing got cleared up, so be it. Thanks for clarification.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I have to thanks you for pointing out the bugs with some of the models and missions. Keep the comments coming!

*I will adress them as soon as I can. Currently too busy with Spellforce2 and UFO: Aftershock, but they will all be fixed before the release.*
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Keep the comments coming!

In the mission looped to "Leave the Door Open" I find myself in a Herc (One) without primaries and secondaries.

That's probably a pilot issue, since I managed to play it with other pilot via Tech Room, but I have no idea if it's related to my pilot or something in the campaign that made the pilot behave so.

Is there any way other than creating new pilot / restart campaign to overcome these problems? It's a pain to create new pilot and edit all HUD and controls setup. :mad:

Anyway, I think it's a nice campaign even though it's just a demo. :yes:

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Strange...you should start with a Herc 2 with standard weapons in that mision.

Are any weapons or other craft appearing in the ship/weapon selection?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Oh, the "Leave the Door Open" starts normally with correct setup that I chose in the Ship/Weapon selection; but the mission after the subspace jump starts with unarmed Herc 1.

In fact, my whole wing is in Herc 1's. Difficult to say about their weaponry, though.

With different pilot the mission starts (from Tech Room) with the mentioned  standard Herc II armament, so it's definitely a pilot issue, but on the other hand, that can be caused by something played earlier, or something in this campaign demo. I haven't yet tried to play the demo campaign through with another pilot, only as individual missions.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
This shuldn't be happening. t

The ships have a red-alert flag so the Herc 2 from the first mission should carry over in the second one.
I'll have to look into this, but I don't recall having this problem myself.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
It's a SCP feature.  Just put $callsign in the message (or briefing or whatever) and it will be replaced with your actual callsign.

You could have also just opened the mission in FRED and looked at it. :p What happened to the lust for experimentation?

SCP? Wasn't it already present in retail?

I agree with the "lust of experimentation" opening other missions with FRED is an excellent way to learn more things.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I checked it.

Mission7 (leave the Door open) has no debrief, and the player wing has a red-alert flag.
When player jump it red alerts to mission 7R.
Player wing there also has the red-alert flag, so everything should work.

I played the campaign trough but didn't encounter this problem.

anyone else getting it?

EDIT:
To all FOW team mebers - report in by the start of hte next week on HC if your'e still in. I got a dozen of you with internal clerance and only two of you have actually lifted a finger... Time to clean house!

Offline neoterran

I'm still in, but i'm still having problems with getting the weapons to show up in the first mission.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Create a new pilot and try then.

Oh, did you get the fix?

Offline neoterran

Oh, the new pilot fixed it.

Okay, I like the new ships, and the setups of the missions, and the backgrounds, but a few things

a.) i would like to see some new weapons or some of the more unusual weapons that have been developed over the years and by different mod authors. playing with subach hl-7 and prometheus R sucks - they're just not fun weapons to use really. even giving some unusual recolors such as the green subach hl-11 in renegade resurgence makes all the difference and gives the campaign it's unusual flavor. For some reason i find firing FS1 era weapons much more gratifying.

b.) mission three had some of the worst slowdowns i have ever seen on any mission campaign so far - it was really just too battle of endor ish. I know i don't have the greatest graphic card ever but I got slowdowns from around 40 fps to like 0. Not everyone out there has the latest Geforce 8800GTX you know :D

Also on the first mission i had trouble scanning any ships as well. this might  be a new bug introduced to the 10/3 CVS... i remember scanning worked before.

Other than that, fine campaign - i'll be testing more - Great job and thanks for all your time trashman... theres some great fighting action in this one :) and Nice unusual ships and ship names!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 12:45:25 am by neoterran »
Chief Grognard.

Oh, the new pilot fixed it.

Okay, I like the new ships, and the setups of the missions, and the backgrounds, but a few things
hi seys atempt to load mission
a.) i would like to see some new weapons or some of the more unusual weapons that have been developed over the years and by different mod authors. playing with subach hl-7 and prometheus R sucks - they're just not fun weapons to use really. even giving some unusual recolors such as the green subach hl-11 in renegade resurgence makes all the difference and gives the campaign it's unusual flavor. For some reason i find firing FS1 era weapons much more gratifying.

b.) mission three had some of the worst slowdowns i have ever seen on any mission campaign so far - it was really just too battle of endor ish. I know i don't have the greatest graphic card ever but I got slowdowns from around 40 fps to like 0. Not everyone out there has the latest Geforce 8800GTX you know :D

Also on the first mission i had trouble scanning any ships as well. this might  be a new bug introduced to the 10/3 CVS... i remember scanning worked before.

Other than that, fine campaign - i'll be testing more - Great job and thanks for all your time trashman... theres some great fighting action in this one :) and Nice unusual ships and ship names!!

i have a problem wish loading the mission hey seys atempt to load the mission
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 03:23:49 am by Sandwich »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You experienced the worst slowdown in mission 3?

Missions 7R and 9 have many more ships, shoudln't they have caused an even bigger slowdown?

I might have to rethink some of the missions then, 13 and 22 have even more ships in them....

b.t.w. - as for new weapons..I do have a lot of those, but I'm not sure it would be a good idea to put them in this Chapter, since it's supposed to be FS2 era.

Allright, I did pull out 3 new ships out of my ass AND some new ship weapons...I don't know if I should add more.
Would a gattling plasma cannon be enough for you?

Offline neoterran

yah, part of the fun of new campaigns is using some new weapons or getting a new weapon to use in combo with the old ones. The other part is the new ships, which you already have plenty of. I think as far as slowdowns go the main problem for me is animated beams, not so much the ship polycount. I guess i'll have to ditch animated beams when there are like 4 ships beaming each other its just way too slow, and running without animated beams speeds it up alot.
Chief Grognard.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I dunno...

Currently, I whipped up a campaign out of all the mission I have made thus far and am testing it, so it shouldn't be too long now. Adding a new gun is easy and I'll leave that consideration for the end.

Anyone else want me to add a gun?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
damn!

I have created a new campaing file with all the mission I made so far (well, allmost all) and am currently testing all the missions one by one (around 20 missions).

That damn Legion bug is still there! And I found a few minor ones too, but most of htem I fixed by now... dang, is this irritating!