Author Topic: Post a link to your mod's install txtfile here!  (Read 12831 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Post a link to your mod's install txtfile here!
If you've got a mod* that you want to add to the FreeSpace Open Installer, you're in luck.  You can instantly** incorporate your mod into the FSO Installer repository by following these very simple steps:

• Follow MjnMixael's instructions to create a text file
  • Validate the text file using the FSO Installer, by running java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar validate
  • Upload the file somewhere where it will be publicly visible, then post a link here
  • Goober5000 will add the link to the FSO Installer repository
That's it!  Also, for no additional charge, Goober5000 will helpfully review your text file before integration and let you know if it contains any "gotchas" that you may want to change before going live.

* Mods based on FreeSpace only, for the time being.  Total Conversions are possible, but the functionality isn't finished yet and will be available in a future release.
** For large values of "instant".

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: Post a link to your mod's install txtfile here!
Will mods finished after the final version of the installer be able to do this after they release?  Are the downloads chosen by the installer from the code or does it pull the list from somewhere else?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The mod list is pulled from the remote site whenever the installer runs; it's not stored within the installer itself.  So the installer will always have the most up-to-date list, regardless of the version you're running.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If the .rar creates its own folder, then FOLDER should be /, not jad2-21.  Also, you (or Axem) will need to host that text file from someplace where the file is directly readable (i.e. not something that is a webpage).

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The rar doesn't contain the dir jad2-21 so I'm pretty sure that's OK.

As for the hosting (*shakes fist @mediafire - why do you work for images but not .txt files!*) yeah, I'll have to sort something else out...

Edit:
Right - Dropbox should be OK since such a tiny file should never get anywhere near their download limits...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/psbkl1dot1rjyds/jad221.txt
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:06:17 am by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In that case, you need to remove the directory from the hash values.  All file paths are relative to what you specified under FOLDER.

Right - Dropbox should be OK since such a tiny file should never get anywhere near their download limits...
No, DropBox is not okay, because if you go to that link, you get a webpage. :p  As I said before, the file needs to be directly readable from that link.  No webpage, no download, just straight up TXT.  Most likely Axem will need to put it on his own webspace.

Offline Axem

It's probably best that I have full access to it anyway, if JAD ever needs an update I can modify the file!

I'll uh... do something with this.

Thanks though, niffiwan!

Will it be possible to rerun the installer down the road and have it validate, update all the files and campaigns as they get changed?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
In that case, you need to remove the directory from the hash values.  All file paths are relative to what you specified under FOLDER.

:sigh: I'll get it right someday... I'd really like to see a "local-install" option so that new files can be tested "offline" by the creator, I may have a go at hacking up a patch for the installer to do that.

No, DropBox is not okay, because if you go to that link, you get a webpage. :p  As I said before, the file needs to be directly readable from that link.  No webpage, no download, just straight up TXT.  Most likely Axem will need to put it on his own webspace.

:hopping:

Although, I tested that link using wget and it gave me just the .txt file... perhaps dropbox has some shenanigans that provide different download options depending on the client?  But...

It's probably best that I have full access to it anyway, if JAD ever needs an update I can modify the file!

I'll uh... do something with this.

Thanks though, niffiwan!

Yeah, probably best that you host it.
----
----

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Will it be possible to rerun the installer down the road and have it validate, update all the files and campaigns as they get changed?
Yep.

Although, I tested that link using wget and it gave me just the .txt file... perhaps dropbox has some shenanigans that provide different download options depending on the client?
Really?  That's interesting.  You might be right about shenanigans.

Offline Luis Dias

Yep.

Is it going to query the user with something like "Your version of Blue Planet is outdated, do you want to install the newer version?" with an option to see details or...?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Something user-friendly.

Anyway this is off-topic for this thread.  This thread is intended to be about incorporating text files into the installer.

Q: Is it possible to incorporate multiple mod folders (in this case, ASW I and II) into one install txtfile so that it shows up as one mod in the installer? Seems tidier that way.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Each mod folder will show up as its own mod in the installer; in other words you can't have one selection install to more than one folder.  But you can list multiple mods within one text file.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, you could install to the Root Folder and make sure all your zip/7z include the subfolders.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Q: How do we compute the hashes? Is there some (cross-platform) software we can use? Can we use the ones from fs2_open.log?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:58:44 pm by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There are numerous hashing utilities available for many platforms.  Many common scripting languages also have access to hashing algorithms that could be used to automate it somehow.  I integrated Digest::SHA into the nightly build code to generate SHA-256 hashes for release builds.  *nix platforms generally have shasum available fairly easily, or md5(sum) as command line tools.  Windows users have access to a few utilities with Explorer integration, but don't ask me where to find one as I haven't needed one in ages.  I could whip something up in Perl that could work, although something in Java or native code might be more useful to a broader base.  If it was built in to the installer I bet that would be the most usable solution ;)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There's a commandline for the Installer to do it as well.. though I don't remember what it is.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There is mod file validation, I've used that.  There's also hash generation?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays