Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 619633 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
Ah. I need to get that. But... I still haven't beaten Riven. And it's been years.... gah.
Oh man, Riven is still probably my favourite Myst game...

Same. I love, the art, the world, aesthetic, some of the puzzles are a pain in the ass because it's so hard compared to the other Myst games.

106%'ed Super Meat Boy.

My thumbs are made of soreness and pain.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I have finally finished Dragon Age: Inquisition and all of its DLC.

Trespasser was wonderful.  Even the base game was wonderful, although there was definitely more filler than it needed (I'm a bit of a completionist, so I've no doubt I could have skipped much more, but who does that in a BioWare RPG).

Now I'm debating between resuming the original Witcher - which I have yet to finish - or taking an RPG break for a blast through Crysis 2, which comes well recommended and I've never played.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Now I'm debating between resuming the original Witcher - which I have yet to finish - or taking an RPG break for a blast through Crysis 2, which comes well recommended and I've never played.
Crysis 2! Make sure you try Battutamod (it makes a lot of cool AI changes).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Confronting my fear of distant shipwrecks (they're the uncanny valley for boats) and being in open water I can't see the bottom of in Subnautica.

Swear to god the creepiest thing in gaming is to be at 100 meters from the surface floating and still unable to see the bottom.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Tried a couple of Sega Mega Drive (or Genesis in yank-speak) games.

Fatal Fury on Sega Mega Drive
Nice little diversion, on easy I was able to beat it in a couple of credits (which are limited to 3 or 4 instead of being infinite like in Super Street Fighter II), and lost only to the final boss.
The gameplay compared to SSFII is simplistic (it only uses three buttons) but the plot is more present than in the average fighting game of the time with the villain looking on the tournament commenting on this newcomer that's beating the crap out of everyone and the other two fighters (again only two fighters other than the "protagonist" are playable in single player) show up as rivals during the playthrough.
It probably doesn't hold a candle to the Neo Geo version but it was still fun, I also like when fighting games have a plot.

Akumajo Dracula Vampire Killer AKA Castlevania Bloodlines AKA Castlevania New Generation on Sega Mega Drive
Played on normal and while difficult (I died *a lot*) the password system is much more permissive than I thought: it essentially takes you not just to the last stage but the last substage with all continues and lives giving you essentially infinite continues.
It doesn't however give you the password between levels but only when you either run out of continues or decide to end the game instead when you run out of lives, although I've read in most reviews that the passwords were given between levels.
I gave a quick try to the US and EU versions with an emulator, and it seems that both versions of the Mega Drive Castlevania have a much less forgiving password system than the original japanese Akumajo Dracula Vampire Killer and nobody on the 'net seems to have noticed.
So, since the japanese version is in english (same text as US and PAL version, so no "all you base are belong to us"-level engrish) if you play with an everdrive/emulator or you have a boatload of money (I once tried to search eBay for a copy and GOOD LORD the japanese version is often more expensive than the PAL version, and the PAL version is stupidly expensive) and you are rubbish at platformers like me the japanese version is the best.

The game looks gorgeous, almost at the level of the Metroidvania installments at times and since this is the game that first featured the composer of the later games there is a sense of familiarity even though it's a "classicvania" (linear action platformer).
The boss fights are always interesting, even the mini bosses, the Greece water level throws three minibosses one after the other at you, though once I figured them out they were easier than the ordinary enemies.

"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Xenoblade Chronicles X

If there were any game that justified the Wii U's existence, it's this one. God damn did they nail the scenic exploration aspect.

Also giant robots, quasi-mystical stuff explained as advanced science, and pizza-obsessed aliens with squeaky voices. What's not to like here? (Well, aside from level-grinding.)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Xenoblade Chronicles X

If there were any game that justified the Wii U's existence, it's this one. God damn did they nail the scenic exploration aspect.

Also giant robots, quasi-mystical stuff explained as advanced science, and pizza-obsessed aliens with squeaky voices. What's not to like here? (Well, aside from level-grinding.)

How far are you in? - Ive a 150+ houres and still can't beat a major storyline boss
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Just finished Crysis 2 for the first time, running through on Veteran.  Fun game, though the QTEs did get a little irritating.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

How far are you in? - Ive a 150+ houres and still can't beat a major storyline boss

70 or so hours in, just completed Chapter 9.

I'm a tad underlevelled for the story at this point though, so I'm going on a sidequest binge.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:46:39 pm by Dark Hunter »

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I tried Art of Fighting on Sega Mega Drive
Good grief, I swear the first encounter on normal is impossible and it has limited continues! What the hell were they thinking?
A pity, I was interested because I like the fact that the arcade mode is a sort of Story mode like in Fatal Fury.

I also continued with Akumajo Dracula Vampire Killer (the japanese Castlevania Bloodlines)
I died *a lot* in the first part of the leaning tower of Pisa because I forgot it was a Castlevania game and tried to go head on against the harpies, after that the level went smooth (the Frankenstein monster is one of the easiest minibosses, the big skeleton snake was irritating) and then exausted the three continues *twice* against the Gargoyle boss before beating him.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Art of Fighting...

I'm unbeatable as big nose man.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

70 or so hours in, just completed Chapter 9.

I'm a tad underlevelled for the story at this point though, so I'm going on a sidequest binge.

I am past Chapter 11 and have to pick-up my side-quest/affinity-grind (only for the less than a handful of characters I actually care about - the majority of the military-archetype {insert value here}-cast is terrible; while it makes thematics sense that they are the only people around it still makes most of them stupid*)...

The Boss I am stuck on is in Chapter 12 and seemingly requires your to have an all Skell, all optimized party (not helped by having the story cast along) as it is multi-stage and post a point of no return (so you have to restart the chapter as soon as you loose your mechs) and very, very brutal (it brought back memories of the fight in the Heart of Bionis in Xenoblade Chronicles, if you know what I mean, however without the option to just grind outside the boss-room for houres until you are fully powered up)

* Seriously, the cast of NPCs for your squad is my second biggest drawback of this game, which has a lot of good stuff going for it. Only outdone by the problems with narrative (you are supposed to be on the rush to get the main quest done -because there is a litteral timer- but the timer only advances during the story missions. All of which are narrated in a way to telegraph effectifly reaffrming the stakes and problems because you spend increasingly long peroids of time in between grinding. This would combine better with the gameplay if not for the damn timer setting up a sense of urgency)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:31:30 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Mad Max, combined with some Falcon BMS dogfighting maybe leading up to a campaign run there. Trying to suss out what exactly I like in video games nowadays.

The Boss I am stuck on is in Chapter 12 and seemingly requires your to have an all Skell, all optimized party (not helped by having the story cast along) as it is multi-stage and post a point of no return (so you have to restart the chapter as soon as you loose your mechs) and very, very brutal (it brought back memories of the fight in the Heart of Bionis in Xenoblade Chronicles, if you know what I mean, however without the option to just grind outside the boss-room for houres until you are fully powered up)

From what I've heard, sounds like you're on the final boss. Obviously haven't made it there myself so can't offer advice on that...

Yeah, the cast being made of archetypes is a bit annoying. You have the Earnest Young Officer, the Hardened Female Veteran, the Competent Drunk, the Racist, the Arrogant One, the Kind-Hearted Altruist, etc.

But then you also have L'cirufe, who almost makes up for it all on his own.

I find most of the neat characterization comes from the NPC's. They really did a good job, for the most part, of having a wide variety of viewpoints and attitudes without falling wholly within having each race be just a set of stereotypes. Except the Nopon, who can kind of get annoying (Tatsu, STFU!).

Offline 0rph3u5

I find most of the neat characterization comes from the NPC's. They really did a good job, for the most part, of having a wide variety of viewpoints and attitudes without falling wholly within having each race be just a set of stereotypes. Except the Nopon, who can kind of get annoying (Tatsu, STFU!).

Not much a fan of L here ... more into having Celica around ;)

As for the Nopons, they are a returning element from Xenobalde Chronicles (why ever) except there they were nature-worshipping plant people with a huge permanent settlement and loads of mysticism associated with them - What's in Xenobalde Chronicles X is basically a cut-down version...

As for Lin and Tatsu, they become slightly less insufferable if you know that their interactions (and by extension most of Tatsu's dialogue) are based on comedic genre which is a staple of Japanese comedy but never made really translates when exported.... Also it doesn't help that Nopon Party Member, Riki, from Xenoblade Chronicles had some of the same features but Tatsu has none of Riki's redeeming qualities (Riki was best damn tank you could get as a party member, and his naive/false bravado/glory hog attitude bounced off better from party members in Xenobalde Chronicles)

==================

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The benevolent German Reich is sending four panzer divisions to defend the peaceful nation of Norway after the British invaded it in 1939. Meanwhile, the Panther is scheduled to begin deploying to operational units in March of 1940.

Hearts of Iron 4 is very much off the rails.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

XCOM Longwar 1.0 Ironman mode

Actually i am playing much "The Crew".
Nice racing game, but it is inferior to Test Drive Unlimited in my opinion.
It is a surprise, because this game is mostly from the same persons who created Test Drive Unlimited.

But this game is full of very strange design choices i can not understand.

Also i still play some "No Man's Sky" here and there. But not so much, because i am on a planet full of gold which i want to mine to sell it, for a much bigger ship. But this takes a while...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 06:33:45 am by Deepstar »
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

As for Lin and Tatsu, they become slightly less insufferable if you know that their interactions (and by extension most of Tatsu's dialogue) are based on comedic genre which is a staple of Japanese comedy but never made really translates when exported...

I'm familiar with Manzai routines, but the humor does generally fall flat. A bad Manzai routine is still bad comedy.

Lin I don't have a problem with. Tatsu is only mildly annoying.

Anyway, now I am about to embark on the final chapter. Levelled up my party to at least 50 and have purchased three fully outfitted Lv. 50 Skells, including one equipped with that absolutely gigantic beam cannon thing Lin helped make. Couldn't afford a fourth, but I'll fill that with a heavy Lv. 30 model. We'll see how this goes.