Author Topic: Subnautica, or How I Learned To Love Deep Water  (Read 20004 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Subnautica, or How I Learned To Love Deep Water
Based on your hairstyle and just hacking the game

I think the player character is...

Lisbeth Salander
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
What's really pissing me off is finding the damn battery charger. I have ****tons of dead batteries and have yet to find the Mobile Vehicle Bay. Seamoth blueprints but no means to use them. I have the SUV of undersea vehicles, the Seaglide, to move me around until I have to go back to base for the umpteenth time.

I really don't like where they moved all of the fragments to. At least the solar panels were easy to find.

[EDIT] Not 5 minutes later I find all the fragments for both the battery charging station AND the MVB. Huzzah.

It's one of the most glorious things I've seen since the several hours of plodding around looking for limestone chunks with copper in them.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:45:44 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
An image from the future: I have had it with these mother****ing sandsharks in this mother****ing biome. So I built a PRAWN and beat them to death with my power armor's bare hands.

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That is a fantastic "oh **** I done ****ed up" face on that shark there.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Since you are apparently fighting mini Kaiju in the deep have you taken the opportunity to name your Chibi Jaeger?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Since you are apparently fighting mini Kaiju in the deep have you taken the opportunity to name your Chibi Jaeger?

No!

Actually, once I've posted up enough stuff, I'm going to give the thread the chance to name the Seamoth, the Cylcops, and the PRAWN.

(I personally vote for Blinky for the Cyclops since it keeps disappearing when I reload the save.)

A Feddie Story

I'm really enjoying this thread, and now I want to play this game. It looks like what No Man's Sky should have been, but all on one planet.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I'm really enjoying this thread, and now I want to play this game. It looks like what No Man's Sky should have been, but all on one planet.

It is nothing like No Man's Sky. :wtf:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

It is nothing like No Man's Sky. :wtf:

Exploring and gathering resources and building stuff in an open world is "nothing" like NMS? Granted, it's got no space exploration and maybe no procedural generation (don't know enough about Subnautica to say), but it definitely has the same vibe to me.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The PRAWN should be named Wikus, no question.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just an FYI to any Subnautica users, there is a fix for the Cyclops-eating bug (Cyclops would be lost when reloading save, especially if you saved whilst in the Cyclops):

(link to original comment)
Quote from: Obraxis
Hey everyone.

We think we now have a fix for this issue. It will be present in Subnautica Build 38363 and above on the Experimental Branch on Steam. If you could check it out when it arrives (a few hours after this post) that would be very helpful.

Thanks for your patience! If you want to know what it looked like trying to fix this issue, @Max gave this helpful picture:

Hidden Text: Show

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I usually had it disappear when I wasn't on the Cyclops, personally. Eventually it stopped.

Anyways.

I don't know what this means, but I'm pretty sure it should worry me.

I located this wreck, on the edge of Grand Reef, and deployed a beacon to mark its location. It's below the 200m maximum depth of my Seamoth, but visible from there, so I can use the Seamoth to transport to site and as a waystation below the surface, and use the Seaglide as propulsion to reach the wreck. There are a couple of things to take care of first, though.

Such as it being moving day. With the addition of the Multipurpose Room to my base, I can now finally, truly, move in. (Also pictured: my front door.)

I've set up a battery recharger and a fabricator in my base. I've not yet added a medikit fabricator, but I already had all my materials storage down here, and also enough medikits to do emergency triage on the whole crew of the Aurora. I am no longer dependent on Lifepod 5 to support my presence on this planet; instead I have made from my own hands the ability to survive here.

It's a surprisingly understated achievement. I don't feel as though I am conquering my environment, exactly. I am, don't get me wrong. I've bent this planet to my will in a significant way by finally creating a base able to do everything I need. This is one of the larger milestones of the game in retrospect. At the time though? It was just part of the push to go deeper, significance lost in preparing to breach the 200m barrier.

One of the first things to do before entering a wreck, which I haven't touched on much, is figuring out how the **** you get in. This is not always trivial and I actually missed it on this one for almost a minute as I circled above and looked at different angles. Here you can spot the accessway I used for entry as a slightly darker area illuminated by the Seamoth's floodlights. (Curiously, they're the most powerful in the game, far exceeding the spotlights on the PRAWN or Cyclops.)

And then we take the plunge. The Seaglide does not operate at full efficiency below 200m, with the engine periodically seizing and kicking back in. This made for some unwelcome moments regarding my O2 level, but in general I gave myself 45 seconds safety reserve to return to the Seamoth, which was enough.

Moonpool fragments. This is for the room I'd dock my Seamoth in for recharge and storage, rather than just leaving it hanging around outside the base.

Here at 244 meters there's a side room, with exosuit grappling arm bits. Well, that's half of what I need to make PRAWN Lagann. There's also a door that can be cut through, which I'm not going to open, having not yet explored the rest of the wreck.

Well. This is new. The wreck has an area of open sea under it. The world Scuba record is something like 331 meters. I'm getting awful close. That green crystal there? Unranite. I didn't pick any up, but there was also Aluminum Oxide around, which as I recall goes into PRAWN manufacture, so I grabbed a bunch.

An ascent to the Seamoth after that. You want to know what those things holding the big balls are? I have no idea. I can't scan them!

There are actually two doors, one on the floor and one the ceiling of that sideroom. Note the difference of four meters in depth.

Jackpot.

Not sure what a Scanner Room does. I'll have to build one.

When I've been out on a deep water foray for days, whether in Seamoth or Cyclops, and it's time to return to base, my first act is always to reach the surface before I set course for home. It has navigational advantages, there's a lot less to run into up there and it's easier to spot the Lifepod 5 beacon which acts as the most convenient waypoint to my base, and safety ones, there's usually nothing nasty up there either. But I think it's mostly psychological; I am not a creature of the sea, but of the air, and without a reason to hold me to the depths to the air I return.

Helm, we're done here. Full ascent.

Fun fact: at a full ascent, given some run-up, it's quite possible to "leap" the Seamoth fully out of the water and several meters into the air. I don't know if this has any practical use (last-ditch Reaper avoidance?) but you can do it.

Set course for home.

Then I got sidetracked on the way home by going to visit my buddies the Reefbacks.

Things I saw on the way back; I finally bothered to scan one of these things.

This planet was not always flooded. I present evidence:

Over near the Aurora, and...uh?

Well. That's the only other Lifepod besides 5 that actually floated, so points for effort?

Interesting tidbit: there was a Reaper Leviathan near Lifepod 4. I fled in the direction of this pod of Reefbacks. It pursued me for several hundred meters...and broke off when I approached the Reefbacks. I'm told Leviathans will actually chase you all the way across the map in some cases. The Reefbacks really do mean safety.

Loot. Note that I've actually exchanged my radsuit helmet for a special rebreather one; you take a penalty to oxygen consumption below 200m without use of a rebreather.

Dawn out front of the seabase.

There's that weird hole in the ground again, not sure what's up with that...

I burned three batteries on the Seaglide while I was down there. The thing is murder on your battery supply. None are fully drained because I switched out around 20% battery, not wanting to find myself with a dead Seaglide on an ascent to the Seamoth while running out of oxygen.

A Feddie Story

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You can scan the big balls, try doing it from the top (unless you're on an older version than me that doesn't have that yet?).

You can also jump the Cyclops out of the water as well.  Fun fact:  This isn't something new.  ;7

(apologies for the potato quality)

Bonus:  private sub?  company sub?  Non-military sub, that's for sure!  (Surfacing starts @ 0:50~0:55)

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
You can scan the big balls, try doing it from the top (unless you're on an older version than me that doesn't have that yet?).

Those screenshots are a couple of weeks old, but IIRC I tried from the sides and below. I might have to try again when I inevitably search Deep Grand Reef.

(I don't recall managing to get the Cyclops all the way out of the water, but it's definitely possible to get most of it.)

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
So, having gotten these things, it's time to, you know, build and use them.

A Moonpool requires 4 Titanium Ingots, 4 things of Lubricants, and an Advanced Wiring Kit. This translates to 40 pieces of Titanium, 12 Creepvine Seed Samples, 1 Computer Chip (1 Quartz, 1 Silver, and 2 Table Coral Samples), 2 Gold.

Here I am making more Titanium Ingots.

That more or less used up my scrap pile and I had to go searching for additional Silver as well. This...kind of becomes a recurring theme.

High guys there any silver in-

-oh **** off!

Sandsharks man, ****ing sandsharks...Hey, they're attacking each other!

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Somebody said letting Stalkers bounce off the Seamoth was a good way to collect Stalker Teeth. They were wrong, by the way; you need to give them some scrap metal. But it did present to me this screenshot while I was trying to get some Creepvine seeds.

Inspecting rock faces for shale outcrops and silver. It's only on vertical or nearly-vertical rock in this biome, so I'm checking the pillars. Note the Biter.

I RTB'd near dawn. I see the random wreckage is back.

Making lubricants. Insert lube joke here.

All right, let's build this thing. I stuck it out front, off the edge of my base in line with the Multipurpose Room that currently houses my fabricators. It needs the extra depth under it; vehicles come in beneath and ascend into the Moonpool.

Time to dock. If you ever played Starlancer...this is nothing like that docking! But it's kind of like how they showed fighter storage in that game.

Here's the Seamoth, docked up. It's suspended on arms from the ceiling, and drops into the water (though not very far or very dramatically) to exit. You climb in through that open top hatch, it's got a little animation for it showing that from your perspective, same for exit. (Note it encouraging you to Hug Your Seamoth. This is good advice. Seamoths need more hugs.)

But this is the important part. A Seamoth needs modules to be a good Seamoth. So we need to build the modification station.

Now, here's the console to customize the Seamoth...and such.

Also, it has a dedicated fabricator for Seamoth stuff.

Incidentally, the floor is now open for Seamoth names. I can't promise it'll show up soon, but it will show up. (MP-Ryan has already locked up the PRAWN, which is Wikus.)

So, what I need: Pressure Compensation to dive deeper!

While here I also built a Hull Reinforcement, and two Storage Modules so the Seamoth can now carry my stuff for me.

Okay, need plasteel ingot for that, so time to go make one.

But this, this has possibilities...

Moved my Fabricator to another wall. I'm reorganizing for when I install the first aid kit fabricator.

Launch the Seamoth!

Notice that I've repainted it for improved visibility on those dark-water dives, and you can see the Pressure Compensator, Hull Reinforcement, and two Storage Compartments from left to right in green, showing what I've got installed.

The base grows slowly. Next I should build that scanner room thingie. But I need more silver.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 01:56:43 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I suggest making an effort to find the nuclear reactor fragments. One is worth 500 energy and charges one point every second or so. I made the effort and built two, so now solar panels are very much unneeded for the main base and ensures successful expansion. And they really don't take much to build, and neither do the reactor rods.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I suggest making an effort to find the nuclear reactor fragments. One is worth 500 energy and charges one point every second or so. I made the effort and built two, so now solar panels are very much unneeded for the main base and ensures successful expansion. And they really don't take much to build, and neither do the reactor rods.

I've got enough solar panels my energy resting point is 750, and nothing has dented that noticeably except an almost-drained Seamoth recharge. I really don't need anything else.

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Mother****ing Sharks In This Mother****ing Seabase/Building Up Part Two

Yeah, about that...

I have a sandshark problem. I decided to move my scrap pile towards the...you know I really need to standardize terms. Okay, the Moonpool is now the front, the scrap pile is at the back. And the sharks? They're EVERYWHERE.

Also each bite is 30% health and I'm starting to noticeably dent my stock of medkits. Which is why it's good I'm building this. Here's the current state of Where The Magic Happens, which is my nickname now for the room with the fabricator and stuff.

Next, I need a power cell charger. Which means I need a wiring kit. Which takes two silver. And I'm out. Time to go looking for it again. Should also rebuild my scrap pile. Seamoth launch!

Scouring along the edges of this cliff, dodging those spike-throwers (real name: Tiger Plants) while looking for Shale Outcrops. I also picked up scrap wherever I found it and put it in the Seamoth's storage.

I habitually carry four medikits. Each one can fix up to 50% damage. The fact I was sometimes running out just trying to swim around the outside of my base should say a lot, and made me glade to pick up the first one fabricated inside it.

Opening up Seamoth storage. Each one has an eight by eight grid, suitable for stuffing in four pieces of scrap or creepvine bits or the like.

Doing some repairs on the Seamoth for damage sustained when I was attacked by sandsharks while docking it.

JESUS CHRIST one of them just leaped out of the Moonpool to try and get at me while I was repairing the Seamoth. This is crazy. I'm going to take the door out front and look at it.

The sandsharks are swarming around the Moonpool while a lone heroic Gasopod tries to keep the area clear for me.

After a quick trip to the Creepvine for some seeds to make Silicone Rubber out of, I start installing bulkheads in my base's corridors, so that if the damn sharks get in (sandsharks actually have small legs, and while I don't know if they can walk at this stage I'm not willing to risk it) they won't eat me in my sleep. The first one goes in the corridor between Where The Magic Happens and the Moonpool.

Speaking of sleeping, this is my living quarters. It serves no practical purpose in the game, you don't actually need to sleep or the like, but I kind of like just having it around. I placed it at the back end of the base, in another Multipurpose Room. Essential features: desk, bed, chair, coffee machine, and Good Advice Kitten. Later I'll add some windows, a bulkhead door, and maybe an aquarium or some other furniture.

It's here, if you're curious. Note even more sandsharks.

The completed Scanner Room. I still don't know what it does. Heroic Lone Gasopod is still struggling against the tide, trying to keep the Sandsharks out.

Decided to build a Water Filtration Machine in Where The Magic Happens. I don't need the water in this mode, but there might be use for the salt it filters and turning it into magnesium. In a Survival playthrough this would be very important.

A Feddie Story

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
PSA: Subnautica has a Discord server:

https://discord.gg/0TYSaqpNv6wffpB1