Author Topic: Series of odd errors- are they connected?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Series of odd errors- are they connected?
I've reinstalled FS2 and FSOpen from scratch but I'm getting a series of odd gamebreaking issues, for different mods and for different exe versions, and I'm trying to figure out what is going on. If you can see that I'm doing something incredibly stupid, well, I'm aware I might be.

K, First Issue:

Trying to start game with 3.7.0 and the 2014 Media VPs causes an number of error popups, starting with this one:

mv_effects-sdf.tbm(line 16):
Error: Required token = [#END] or [$Species_Name:], found [$Countermeasure Type:   Type One] .

KERNELBASE.dll! IsNLSDefinedString + 3240 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 139 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0_NO-SSE.exe! <no symbol>

Second Issue:

I can start the game using 3.7.2 RC4 under the same conditions otherwise. However, the game crashes (the classic "FSOpen is not responding" crash) when I attempt to load almost every mission from the main campaign. Even when i do successfully load the mission (like the training missions), I can briefly see the Windows 7 loading circle before it disappears and the mission loads.

Third Issue:

I am playing Blue Planet for the first time using 3.7.2 RC4. I've had no issues till the 10 mission, where you try to escape through the Knossos portal while the rest of your fleet launches a feint attack upon the Laramis jump node in N362. The mission crashes when the Duke's anti-fighter beams fire. Not when they're charging, right when they fire.

Fourth Issue:

I just tried to load this mission so I could give you its name, only to discover that the game now crashes upon attempting to load any mission in Blue Planet.

I can view everything in the tech room without a crash in all cases (assuming I can get the game started). I have no bloody clue what is happening. Any ideas? I'm using a machine with a Core-i7 3770, Windows 7, and a Radeon 7850 with 14.7 drivers. I installed everything using the .jar FSOpen Installer and the GoG version of FS2.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:27:36 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Series of odd errors- are they connected?
For the 1st issue, the mediavps_2014 don't work with 3.7.0.  They need 3.7.2RC4.

On the 2nd issue, please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

And that's probably enough for now, the other two issues may be related to whatevers causing the 2nd issue, if we can get that one sorted it may fix the others anyway.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
The missions load with the debug exes, but not with the normal exes. Same pattern regardless if I use SSE or no SSE. I switched back and forth a few times to prove it wasn't a fluke. It's consistent. Posting the debug log.

Is fs2.open only used by debug .exes?

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:48:42 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I can start the game using 3.7.2 RC4 under the same conditions otherwise. However, the game crashes (the classic "FSOpen is not responding" crash) when I attempt to load almost every mission from the main campaign. Even when i do successfully load the mission (like the training missions), I can briefly see the Windows 7 loading circle before it disappears and the mission loads.
Are you doing anything while the mission is loading? Clicking a mouse button, hitting alt-tab, anything at all? The game stops responding to the operating system while it's busy loading, and sometimes it can (falsely) cause the OS to think that it crashed if you make Windows pay attention to it by clicking on the window. It's happened to me a couple times when I got impatient while waiting for the game to start.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
Are you doing anything while the mission is loading? Clicking a mouse button, hitting alt-tab, anything at all? The game stops responding to the operating system while it's busy loading, and sometimes it can (falsely) cause the OS to think that it crashed if you make Windows pay attention to it by clicking on the window. It's happened to me a couple times when I got impatient while waiting for the game to start.
Wow. You're right. I'm an OCD clicker. Mission always loads when I don't click the mouse.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to see if I can make the crash from AAA beam fire in Blue Planet happen again. Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:27:17 am by Mr. Vega »
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
I just finished Age of Aquarius. Guess that crash was a fluke!
-John Maynard Keynes