Author Topic: PCS 2 Wishlist thread  (Read 26255 times)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Transformations on "helpers" nodes aren't supported.

But it doesn't have any transformations. It's just a helper, placed at 0,0,0 which is where detail-0 and its pivot point is.

EDIT: Erm... I fiddled with it some more and now the bbox appeared correctly when imported. I don't know what's going on. I'll let you know if I encounter the problem again.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:26:34 am by zookeeper »

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
You CAN shuffle around hierarchy in PCS2.
Just drag and drop the subobjects around.

To get it to import you just need to parent everything to say, detail0...
You can set up all the other hierarchy later, assuming everything is split into separate objects already.

WARNING: Droid803 is not responsible if PCS2 crashes on you or screws up your model. Just saying that I've rearranged hierarchy in PCS2 before, and its entirely doable. Feature already exists.  :rolleyes:

As it is when PCS2 imports a model file any root level objects that dont start with something like detail or lod (i think lod works) is ignored.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
You CAN shuffle around hierarchy in PCS2.
Just drag and drop the subobjects around.

To get it to import you just need to parent everything to say, detail0...
You can set up all the other hierarchy later, assuming everything is split into separate objects already.

WARNING: Droid803 is not responsible if PCS2 crashes on you or screws up your model. Just saying that I've rearranged hierarchy in PCS2 before, and its entirely doable. Feature already exists.  :rolleyes:

As it is when PCS2 imports a model file any root level objects that dont start with something like detail or lod (i think lod works) is ignored.

Just name them all detailX, fix up the header later.
If you absolutely insist on not doing ANY hierarchy AT ALL...

Was that so hard?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

or maybe the tools i use for modelling just cannot define hierarchies at all?

and yes you will say something like" get real tools, or get blender or, something like that, this is a wishlist, i m just saying what i wish for.

for me blender albeit really powerfull, is way overly complex and way too hard to use. on some of the apps i use, to make a good model in 15 minutes with textures and all, takes half hour, on blender i m still trying to find out how i can select vertex that are hidden from view using box selection and how to select faces instead of vertex D:

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Maybe it's because you consider a 'good model' something you made in 30 minutes.  Unless you're talking about a cargo container, I'm not sure what kind of quality work you can do in any app in that amount of time.  Unless you're The Flash.  If so can I have your autograph?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Blender is rather quick. Most of the Sobek was modelled in about 45 minutes.

...then I scrapped everything but the neck and started over.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Im not getting into the which 3D prog is the best etc debate because thats a discussion for another thread but to the rest of the post

presumably you can still name the objects otherwise you cant set the names to detail# which means that PCS2 will ignore all your objects anyway.

what droid is saying is to stick detail in front of everything, import to PCS2 move the turrets and other objects into the correct place in the hierarchy and rename as appropriate
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Im not getting into the which 3D prog is the best etc debate because thats a discussion for another thread but to the rest of the post

presumably you can still name the objects otherwise you cant set the names to detail# which means that PCS2 will ignore all your objects anyway.

what droid is saying is to stick detail in front of everything, import to PCS2 move the turrets and other objects into the correct place in the hierarchy and rename as appropriate

O_O! i love you headie! (IN THE NOT GAY WAY) i though naming on the program i used wouldnt work at all, but it does and i can export straigh to collada from it and it works on PCS2 O_O

THANKS A LOT MAN seriously! O_O

Offline zookeeper

One of my few remaining wishes would be to be able to replace submodels by importing a replacement from another file. For example, if I find that a single submodel happens to be missing a poly, I could fix that more easily if I could just replace that submodel by importing a replacement from another file. Currently there's currently no simple and practical way to do it (I think the submodel load feature is supposed to allow it, but it seems broken), so I have to re-convert the whole thing (which isn't a lot of work, but always leaves a bit of room for error).

Also, it'd be nice if the submodel numbers were re-generated every time the hierarchy changes.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Maybe it's because you consider a 'good model' something you made in 30 minutes.  Unless you're talking about a cargo container, I'm not sure what kind of quality work you can do in any app in that amount of time.  Unless you're The Flash.  If so can I have your autograph?

the fastest ship i ever did took 2 days, one day mesh, 1 day texture. im not sure what it was (may have been the original vulture), but these were the pre-htl days so it was only like 400 polies.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

Well it's still kind of silly, but at least there's a known workaround. But what about being able to import an .obj?

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
One of my few remaining wishes would be to be able to replace submodels by importing a replacement from another file. For example, if I find that a single submodel happens to be missing a poly, I could fix that more easily if I could just replace that submodel by importing a replacement from another file. Currently there's currently no simple and practical way to do it (I think the submodel load feature is supposed to allow it, but it seems broken), so I have to re-convert the whole thing (which isn't a lot of work, but always leaves a bit of room for error).
How is it broken?  (It adds rather than replaces)

Also, it'd be nice if the submodel numbers were re-generated every time the hierarchy changes.
I'm sure automatically reordering submodels would annoy plenty of people.

But what about being able to import an .obj?
What about it?

Offline zookeeper

How is it broken?  (It adds rather than replaces)

Exactly; it only adds, and cannot replace. Although frankly half of the reason why that's a problem is because the delete function doesn't work: when I attempt to delete a submodel, it asks whether I want to delete all its children as well, yet even when I say "yes" it doesn't delete the children as well. If the delete function would be fixed then I suppose I could always add the new replacement submodel(s) and delete the old, but that'd still leave me with a broken-looking (probably has no functional difference, though) hierarchy because the new submodel(s) appear at the end of the submodel list, instead of the list getting re-sorted alphabetically. When importing a fresh file, submodels get sorted alphabetically.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Delete with children worked for me.

You're probably better off reimporting and doing a global import if you want to preserve order.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
How hard would it be to get PCS2 to open FS1/ST Retail POFs?

Currently, it just essentially opens to a 'blank' instance of PCS2.

If you need some retail models to work with, I have them all.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: PCS 2 Wishlist thread
My simple request for new version of PCS2:
I need a tool for clearing main model from subobjects [turrets etc.]. I was thinking about as a button that switch on a small window with list of subobjects of model. You could tick submodels you want to delete on list and than remove them with one click on proper button. I need it for returreting ships. Removing subobjects one by one, turret after turret is a bit frustrating especialy when I have something like 50 turrets [+ maybe destroyed versions]. PCS2 also sometimes crashing when I remove something. Is this possible to do?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
these days all i want are vs2010 project files.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Delete with children worked for me.

You're probably better off reimporting and doing a global import if you want to preserve order.
It doesn't always work, especially if you have a lot of children. They usually get distributed to a higher level in hierarchy.

One small question, I'm kinda out of the loop (i'm still using Nov 7,08 build), but has anything been done with glowpoints?   What I'm looking for is a way to import the on/off/displacement timings in max. That way I can create a script or something that will let me quickly build christmas-light landing lights (blinking in sequence)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline zookeeper

One small question, I'm kinda out of the loop (i'm still using Nov 7,08 build), but has anything been done with glowpoints?   What I'm looking for is a way to import the on/off/displacement timings in max. That way I can create a script or something that will let me quickly build christmas-light landing lights (blinking in sequence)

For what it's worth, I haven't heard of anything of the like having been done.