Author Topic: Countdown to Inferno: Fiction Teasers  (Read 24368 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth

How did our hopes for a glorious reunion turn to ash? How did we and our brothers in Sol head down the path to war?

Here, you'll see a series of snippets fleshing out the modern Infernoverse. You'll find out how the GTVA and the EA came to war, see what the man on the street feels about the events unfolding around them, and meet some characters whom you'll run into later.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:45:02 pm by Lepanto »
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Re: Countdown to Inferno: Fiction Teasers
Gateway: The Gates of Janus

Engineering Team’s Lounge, Working Quarters, Deck 317
Sol Gate, Delta Serpentis
5:32 PM Terran Standard Time, April 22, 2390

“To Earth.” Dr. Emily Velasquez raised her glass of Aldebaran nectar, savoring the faintly sour scent. After untold energy drinks and all-nighters, the good stuff was that much better.

“To your home.” Her colleague, Dr. Nebwawy, hesitated for a moment before returning the Terran’s gesture. They could barely hear the clink of glasses over the din of their colleagues’ raucous cartoon marathon.

“Oh, and to a trillion GCs’ worth of government funding.”

Nebwawy was as silent as usual, but Emily noticed him returning her toast with great relish. The gangly, beige Vasudan paid the wider celebration no mind.

Emily brushed that one annoying strand of black hair out of her eyes. She'd spent an hour fretting over her green, semi-casual ensemble, and was happy to have a semi-private chat with her coworker rather than risk spilled drinks at the main party. At least the outfit nicely accentuated her tan, slightly-pudgy figure.

Out the lounge’s massive viewport, another Earther diplomatic transport arrived from Sol through a cyan vortex. Fifth one since the Gate had fired up. The compact, slate-gray vessel- Corvus-class, Emily recalled- flew by the viewport. Dr. Velasquez stood up and waved; she thought she caught a glimpse of gray-uniformed EA crew waving back through the viewports.

The Terran engineer chuckled. “Pilots are pilots, Earth or Alliance.” She took a sip of her nectar, making sure to swish the Vasudan drink around her mouth to get just the right tangy flavor.

Nebwawy let the conversation hang for a few interminable seconds. Even after Emily's eight years working beside the Vasudan metallurgy expert, he was still as hard to read as ever.

“Four decades ago, Khonsu of fond memory proposed a great work. One by which both our species would be safeguarded forevermore.”

Emily took a few seconds to parse his reference, then her smile went taut. “I know, a people birthed in sorrow and all that, but can’t you just let us Terrans have our one moment of peaceful reunion with our lost brothers? Sheesh.”

“Merely a timely caution, Emily. No fleet or great project can shield us from this harsh cosmos. We cannot let it catch us sleeping.”

Emily avoided his gaze. I do not want to have this conversation again.

She glimpsed four trails of plasma, pulling off from the defense fleet and stopping behind the Corvus. The EA transport came to a sudden halt.

Eager for a distraction, she gestured to the scene outside the viewport. “Look, our glorious fleet just caught some Earther smugglers. Better not turn into a diplomatic incident.” She forced a chuckle.

Nebwawy gazed intently at the little tableau. Then he swiftly stood up, motioning to another group of plasma trails approaching the Gate. And another. And one of the massive Hecate-class destroyers, rumbling into motion.

Emily’s shoulders tensed. “It’s just an exercise, right?”

The dulcet tones of the PA cut off Nebwawy’s response. “All personnel, Code Zeta Four. Repeat, Code Zeta Four.”

Shutting down the Gate, and all personnel to duty stations? But why, unless-

A massive cerulean vortex sprang into existence, disgorging a grey-plated and t-shaped warship. For four slow seconds, the behemoth thundered past the viewport, like an onrushing storm blotting out their vision.

Our Father, who art in heaven…

“What do the Earthers think they’re-“ “-told you they’d backstab-“ Engineering Team’s celebration devolved into chaos as they dropped popcorn bowls and bolted for the exit. The screen cut out as the Gate’s emergency protocols kicked in, while the lights dimmed and turned a harsh red. Blue exit paths flashed into existence on the walls and flooring.

Emily was still transfixed, gripping the table as warship after warship followed the behemoth. A cloud of plasma trails boiled out from the EA fleet, engulfing and extinguishing the Allied fighters. Silver flashes cut through the blackness, stabbing into the Hecate. The old Terran warhorse weakly returned fire, striking a decelerating H-shaped destroyer with her azure lances, but to no visible effect. Flashes of fusion bombs heralded the Hecate’s end, as her ruptured reactors consumed her in a fireball. All over in three minutes.

She felt a vicegrip on her shoulder, a surprise from the gangly Nebwawy. “We leave. Now!”

Forcing herself to her feet, Emily turned away and bolted out of the lounge with Nebwawy at her feet. “Thanks.”

A brief nod. He was plainly keeping pace with her, as they chased after their departed colleagues. A noisy mass of humanity was boiling out the doors and pressing in around them, cutting the two off.

“All station personnel, we are under attack. This is no drill.”

“Nebwawy, guess you-“ “-oh, sorry, sir-” –she slipped past an elderly Hispanic man as they rounded the corridor- “were right.”

For once, he looked her in the eyes. “Now, we wake.”
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline CT27

Sol Gate
Command & Control center

"Sir, the gate opened!  A giant Fenris on steroids is coming through!"

;)

Offline mr.WHO

Giant Fenris  on steroids? You mean Nemesis?

Offline CT27

Giant Fenris  on steroids? You mean Nemesis?

That was just a joke post because that's how I've heard some refer to Nemesis here.  It wasn't part of Lepanto's fiction.  If he wants, I'll delete the post.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
No problem. As long as everybody knows it's supposed to be the Nemesis, the terminology is irrelevant.

Constructive feedback, anyone? Inquisitive fluff questions which I may or may not be inclined to answer right now?

Offline Luis Dias

Sounds cool! Can't wait to avenge that Hecate with ma lazors!

Btw, why are all fictions about the new SolGate designed with the GTVA making the connection? I mean, I know I know, Petrarch and so on, but still. It would be cool to have a new node being created out of nowhere from Sol, with ships and their crazy shivan technology they managed to retrieve from the Lucifer wreckage.

This can also be cool.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Thanks! Oh, you will get the chance to blow up plenty of gray stuff... :D

Well, INF originally kinda invented the whole GTVA-built Sol Gate concept that everyone's been using, and it's a core part of our setting. Though I concur, having Sol build the gate might open up a number of fascinating new campaign storylines, depending on Sol's motivations.

Offline CT27

No problem. As long as everybody knows it's supposed to be the Nemesis, the terminology is irrelevant.

Constructive feedback, anyone? Inquisitive fluff questions which I may or may not be inclined to answer right now?

I presume that "H-shaped destroyer" was the Lindos class destroyer from INFR1?

Secondly:
Do you think it's possible for one of the fiction pieces to show debate in the EA about going to war?  I mean, we know which faction wins obviously, but it might be interesting to see some in the EA wanting peaceful coexistence.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Yup, for anyone who hasn't been following the screenshots: The Lindos is back, and about as beamzy as ever! Keep your fingers on those Stiletto IIIs, or lose your mission-critical capships!

The EA's motivation for war will be explained later. EA internal politics are complex. No further comment at this time.
Spoiler:
Thanks for the idea, though.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Is it worrying that the countdown has "years" marked?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Luis Dias

Well it hasn't "decades" marked, so that's a positive?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
It's an in-universe countdown. :p I'm hoping that we can release our first act (13 missions) by the end of 2015 at the least.

Offline mr.WHO

Having wait so long for Inferno, now I somehow desire INF:A2 for more EA related stuff. Am I too greedy?

EDIT: It's irony, but I think that EA logic for war with GTVA is very similar to TEVs in Blue Planet. They need the GTVA space to expand and to prepare against Shivans (more Icanus to build) and they don't want to be cornered stagnant in their home space.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:27:08 pm by mr.WHO »

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Thanks for your enthusiasm for Inferno!

Woo does have vague plans to remake INF:A, but it probably won't happen for a while. Don't worry, you'll be seeing plenty of the EA in the somewhat-near future! :D

We're not copying BP's reasons for war, I can assure you of that much. Again, the nature of the war will be elaborated on in future pieces.

Oh, and we probably ARE bringing back the Warlock, though probably in less of a heavy-combat role.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I approve of this methodology of getting HYPE as the guy who arguably wrote the first Inferno fanfic, lo those many eons ago. (No, really.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline CT27

Oh, and we probably ARE bringing back the Warlock, though probably in less of a heavy-combat role.

That's awesome news! :)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I approve of this methodology of getting HYPE as the guy who arguably wrote the first Inferno fanfic, lo those many eons ago. (No, really.)

I vaguely remembered that! If it weren't for the Nemesis's launch possibly being set during the INF:A war rather than peacetime, I would immediately and arbitrarily dub it NuINF canon.

And thanks for getting HYPED!

Do other people like these fiction teasers? The more enthusiasm they get, the more I'll write!

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
I like them.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Yes! Write moar.
I like to read stuff that expands (or complicates ;)) understanding of events in campaign. :)