Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 29178 times)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
This is the review I needed. Nothing else in this thread has made me decide to not purchase this game, at least until there's a fantastic sale, and even then maybe not...

You literally have no idea how my brain melts everytime I instinctively try to pitch downwards to find a suitable landing space only to be forced to level out at some height that's too high so I have no bloody clue where I'll be landing when I hit the magical "E" button

Maybe the devs were cutting corners in regards to collision physics or something, I don't know. I just know that if I want to run into a Down Syndrome Goat, I will smash into that thing like nothing else matters! But no, game won't let me do that

Game will also occasionally send me into space when I take off from the planet's surface. That's always entirely amusing however
"No"

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Sidenote: The flying IS JUST THE GOD DAMNED WORST. If I want to fly ten feet off the ground LET ME FLY TEN FEET OFF THE GROUND. If and when I crash, it'll be my fault! Stop imposing weird restrictions on me game!

So the simple planetary flying just for the hell of it that I did in Elite yesterday isn't possible?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Bad flight mechanics and no shooting indoors (lol, WHAT the **** is that?) are definitely insta-dealbreakers for me for a game that is little other than flying around exploring, from the sound of it.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
So the simple planetary flying just for the hell of it that I did in Elite yesterday isn't possible?

You're forced to fly at a certain height from the ground and trying to see what "?" P.O.I. becomes a mess of rolling around
I haven't discovered free look yet, I'd imagine it's in there, haven't found it

Landing is a pain. Here's examples of wtf landing moments

But all that relatively flat area? Na, unsuitable. Lets stick your ship in a rock now
"No"

Remember Spore? It originally had the lofty aim of doing almost exactly this, if not to as fine a detail level as you're probably thinking. Instead, it delivered Penis Creature Studio...

NMS = Spore 2 Confirmed.

http://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-players-are-finding-dick-monsters-1785093816

So that's what Spore was for. To populate NMS' worlds with dicks! Genius!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
What gameplay is there for flying the ship, apart from... flying around? Are there enemies in space? And how free are you to fly about in space, i.e. can you fly to random points or are you forced to go from planet to planet?

The game looks too simple for a $/€ 60 game.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Are there enemies in space?
Yes.

And how free are you to fly about in space, i.e. can you fly to random points or are you forced to go from planet to planet?
Yes, you can fly in whichever direction you want with your pulse drive... but there's little point in flying to random spots in space because every spot seems to be equally full of the exact same random asteroids everywhere.

The game looks too simple for a $/€ 60 game.
I definitely recommend waiting for a sale (and for performance issues to get fixed; if you're lucky, you can tweak the settings to get rid of them, but waiting for them to be patched out entirely is a much better idea).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
because every spot seems to be equally full of the exact same random asteroids everywhere.

Seriously, what the hell is up with this? Did the entirety of the Universe blow up and scatter homogeneously pieces of everything everywhere?
And why does it always constantly feel like I'm stuck in a nebula? Why is there this massive fog in my space!
"No"

Seriously, what the hell is up with this? Did the entirety of the Universe blow up and scatter homogeneously pieces of everything everywhere?
And why does it always constantly feel like I'm stuck in a nebula? Why is there this massive fog in my space!

Sounds like you're playing Transcend :V

Sounds like you're playing Transcend :V

Hahahahaha. I was actually kinda thinking of Homeworld but that fits the description much better.

Offline Mikes

First game I asked for a refund on Steam ...

Worst case of "trailer does not match game at all" in a long time for me.

60$ for that? no way.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Yes, you can fly in whichever direction you want with your pulse drive... but there's little point in flying to random spots in space because every spot seems to be equally full of the exact same random asteroids everywhere.

So apart from random enemies to destroy, is there anything worthwhile to do in space? Contact other people/npc, mine asteroids, pirating, or any other stereotyped space activity?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator

So apart from random enemies to destroy, is there anything worthwhile to do in space? Contact other people/npc, mine asteroids, pirating, or any other stereotyped space activity?

Well you can flick through your inventory while you're waiting for your pulse drive to carry your ship across the 120 seconds worth of space to get to the next planet. That's about it. I had the fortune of playing someone else's copy rather than having to buy it myself, if you really must play it this is how it should be played imho.

Space Engineers - £18.99
No Man's Sky - £39.99

I'll let that speak for itself.

After 20 Hours i still like it.

Except from technical side... the first days i was only able to play it with a SSE4 Emulator, because i have Phenom II.
Then the first experimental patch show up that do not need SSSE3 CPUs at all and it runs like a charm. Even with my GeForce 660 Ti GTX i was able to play on 1080 with Max Details (but with disabled Anti-Aliasing) with 30-40 FPS for hours.

Then the last beta patches were downloaded... and after half an hour of gameplay my performance goes down into unplayable areas.
There they have still much to do.

But from gameplay, i like it so far. The three planets in my starting systems seems similiar, but were different enough to explore them and to reach 100%.
Yeah, maybe there is not to much to do except of scanning, to sell resources for extensions of Suit and Ship and to mine resources you do not have already, but until now, it was enough.

And i think there will be bigger updates, so, the nearer i come to the center, the more possibilities i will have, which is also a interesting view of "progression".
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft

https://giant.gfycat.com/UnnaturalChillyAmberpenshell.webm

You can do this
There's always that
But yeah, as Buckshee said, there isn't a whole lot to do in Space other than constantly avoid bloody asteroids and shoot ships. That said, the five star sentinel response to your actions is pretty intense
"No"

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
That video is very illustrative of NMS. Nice visuals and some cool ideas, marred by some things that should be easy to fix and some simplicity presumably brought on by the spore effect. If you made space combat richer, bring it closer to a full featured spacesim, and make it so you don't have to freaking open your inventory every six seconds to recharge your damn shields.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Luis Dias

So apparently the game is a pure **** port on the pc, plus it fails utterly where I absolutely didn't expect: on the interface.

Come on people, way to waste such an opportunity.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
On the bright side, they did fix the Phenom II problems so that's at least a plus
"No"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Kotaku's take on the game is a fairly interesting read.  Basically the reviewer initially sank a few dozen hours into it and wound up feeling immensely disappointed...and then they went back to it with an entirely different gameplay approach and wound up really enjoying it.  It sounds for all the world like the sort of game that only really clicks for certain people, or for people playing it a certain way, neither of which meshed with what the game was initially billed as.  I think those saying that it would had been widely praised if it had been born as a $20 indie title instead of a super-hyped $60 AAA affair are exactly right.  I didn't even follow most of the hype myself, and it's not really my style of game, so I don't think I'd bother with it even with a substantial discount.