Author Topic: Windows update ruined graphics?!  (Read 1499 times)

Windows update ruined graphics?!
So recently our computer was given that new windows 10 creator tool update. And all of a sudden I had to fix the permissions for the program to run. I did based on instructions here in forum and now the game runs again... BUT... the new graphics no longer are working. It looks like the classic 1996 version again. Any thoughts?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Windows update ruined graphics?!
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Attached

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Nothing in the log jumps out to me; the MediaVPs are present, the game is running at 1920x1200, and no graphical options are disabled on the command-line.

On the other hand, no graphical options are enabled on the command-line, either; are you perhaps feeling the lack of post-processing, soft particles, and/or framebuffer shockwaves?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Are those options in advanced settings I should try to enable?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It's a matter of personal preference; I was just asking if you used to have them enabled and now you don't, for whatever reason.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
No clue if this is your problem, or not, but I Googled your driver version  - at least, I'm assuming that's your driver version from this line in your fs2open.log:
Code: [Select]
  OpenGL Version   : 4.5.0 NVIDIA 382.05
Reason I suspect that is you just updated Windows, perhaps it loaded the latest WHQL driver from nVidia during setup or shortly after?  Of course, if you have different settings now, that would do it, as AdmiralRalwood was suggesting, but I don't think an in-place upgrade of Windows would reset your FS2 settings.  (Although maybe applying the FS2.reg from the permissions fix reset it?  Don't know on that one, can't even remember if the fix involved using FS2.reg)

https://www.google.com/search?q=nvidia+382.05+issues

Notable results:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1007101/geforce-drivers/official-382-05-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-5-4-17-/
Hidden Text: Show
Windows 10 Issues

[DirectX 11 games]: On some titles, in-game V-Sync does not work if Fast Sync is selected from the NVIDIA Control Panel. Consequently, the game frame rate is not locked to the maximum refresh rate, resulting in possible tearing. [200304603]

[SteamVR titles]: SteamVR may crash when launched. [1917936]To workaround, uninstall GeForce Experience or reinstall the NVIDIA driver.

[Power DVD 17]: The display may go blank while playing HDR video in exclusive full-screen mode. [200300818]

[GeForce GTX 1070]: Games (Witcher 3, For Honor) do not recognize the custom refresh rates set using the NVIDIA Control Panel. [1916598]

[SLI][GeForce GTX 1080][Battlefield 1 XP1]: With SLI enabled, corruption appears in the game when switching between full-screen and windowed mode. [1889162]

[GeForce GTX 1080 Ti][Mass Effect: Andromeda]: Random memory errors may occur when playing the game. [1887520]

[GeForce GTX 1080 Ti][Sid Meirie's Civilization VI][G-Sync/SLI/DirectX 12]: Black corruption appears while entering the in-game menu after skipping the cutscene. [200283322]

[GeForce GTX Titan X][Ansel][Ghost Recon Wild lands]: With FXAA enabled from the NVIDIA Control Panel, the application crashes when enabling the in-game Ansel UI. [200283194]

[Notebook][GeForce GTX 970M][Tom Clancy's The Division Survival DLC]: Game crashes, pointing to ntdll.dll when changed to full-screen and to windowed full-screen. [200252894]

[Notebook][GeForce GTX 970M][ShadowPlay][For Honor]: The game silently may crash if the intro video is skipped while instant replay is on. [200247313]

[SLI][Notebook][GeForce GTX 970M][Gears of War 4]: Level loading may hang. [1826307]

NVIDIA Control Panel custom color settings are reset to the default after switching a game between windowed and full-screen mode. [1917071]

NVIDIA Control Panel custom color profiles and ICC profiles are lost when using the Microsoft Game Bar. [1904238

Display monitor is unable to enter sleep mode. [19116554]

[GeForce Experience]: Driver installation may fail when attempting to perform a driver overinstall. To workaround, perform a clean installation.

[Notebook][Pascal GPU]: The display remains blank while over installing the driver, requiring a reboot. [200273603]

Error code 43 appears in the Device Manager after installing the driver with HDMI display connected. [200283276]

Driver install/overinstall requires a reboot. [1757931]

Windows 7 Issues

[GeForce GTX 1080] Battlefield 1 hangs when campaign loaded with Fast Sync
enabled from the NVIDIA Control Panel. [200254350]

[GeForce GTX 1060]: Blue-screen crash occurs pointingto driver (Nvlddmkm.sys) after the system reboots from sleep mode. [1814559]

Issue with nvidia 382.05 driver on GTX 770 2GB DDR5. - Graphics ...
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/778466-issue-with-nvidia-38205-driver-on-gtx-770-2gb-ddr5/
May 11, 2017 - 7 posts - ‎5 authors
Hi friends, Need help as the nvidia driver 382.05 is causing some issues while playing old and new games. I was playing Battlefield Bad Com...

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/6ajana/geforce_hot_fix_driver_version_38219/
Download Hotfix Driver here: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4464
Latest WHQL Driver is still 382.05. Discussion thread here -- Please visit for full changelog: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/697hba/driver_38205_faqdiscussion_thread/
This is GeForce Hot Fix driver version 382.19 that addresses the following:
This hotfix resolves a stutter issue experienced on some configurations while playing Prey
I encourage folks who installed the driver to post their experience here... good or bad.

No performance test from me for Hotfix driver. Please visit the 382.05 WHQL discussion thread for performance number.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Are those options in advanced settings I should try to enable?

I think what you should do now is post screenshots. Everything we can see from the log shows things working properly; the display driver is unlikely to be the cause of any issues here.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns