Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 908479 times)

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Hello, All:

I just wanted to say that I have played FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2 many, many times and been following the SCP for several years now, but this is the first time I have downloaded and played Blue Planet. I downloaded AOA, completed that, and just completed WiH-P1. I have a few things to say about it:

1) The story line is awesome. AoA was very good - WiH-P1 is nothing short of stunning.

2) I can't wait until the voice overs get done - the story could be hard to follow when things were going on onscreen. Also, the font can be exceptionally difficult to read against certain skyboxes in-game (I really need to make the HUD Bright Pink :)). It would be very nice if there was some way to review a dialogue log of some sort after the mission, to see things I may have missed while in-mission.

3) The difficulty level is. . . punishing. I normally play through the normal FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2 campaigns on "Medium" and they are easy-to-moderately challenging. I had to set the difficulty for these down to "Very Easy" and still there were a few missions on each side I had to retry >5 times to finally get. I realize this * may * be on purpose, but. . . wow (and I used to think I was good at these games :))

4) The only truly negative thing I have to say is: having to manually enter the fighter bay (EVER) sucks. There is no other way to put it. It just plain sucks. It can take a while to get there, especially if I am far out. On some ships, the fighter bay is difficult to locate, even when you have the "Fighter Bay" subsystem highlighted in the HUD. I have a nasty habit of running into the ship repeatedly while trying to get to and even actually get IN the fighter bay when I finally find it (There was 1 mission it took me over 10 minutes to find the thing - it was apparently in the top middle of the ship as opposed to the sides). It would be very nice if we could just ALT-J these and it be assumed you landed.

Great work, people! Very much anxiously looking forward to WiH-P2, though I imagine it is still quite aways off.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
2) I can't wait until the voice overs get done - the story could be hard to follow when things were going on onscreen. Also, the font can be exceptionally difficult to read against certain skyboxes in-game (I really need to make the HUD Bright Pink :)). It would be very nice if there was some way to review a dialogue log of some sort after the mission, to see things I may have missed while in-mission.
Press F4 while in-mission to review the message log. You can do it just before the end of the mission or when you want really.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Press F4 while in-mission to review the message log. You can do it just before the end of the mission or when you want really.

Thanks very much for the tip! Much appreciated. I should also say that watching video of your Homeworld 2 Blue Planet mod made me dust of Homeworld 2 and play through it again. I haven't played it in 8 years and I forgot how brutal (and fun) that game can be :) Very much looking forward to a playable version of your mod as well!

Offline Kolgena

If that doesn't work, you have to redownload bp2_core (and possibly visuals2 if you haven't done that either) again. I only updated visuals1 at the time because I thought only that changed in the minor update.

Thanks! This fixed it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What do you mean?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I think he means the ship lab. Just press F3 when you are in the mainhall.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
4) The only truly negative thing I have to say is: having to manually enter the fighter bay (EVER) sucks. There is no other way to put it. It just plain sucks. It can take a while to get there, especially if I am far out. On some ships, the fighter bay is difficult to locate, even when you have the "Fighter Bay" subsystem highlighted in the HUD. I have a nasty habit of running into the ship repeatedly while trying to get to and even actually get IN the fighter bay when I finally find it (There was 1 mission it took me over 10 minutes to find the thing - it was apparently in the top middle of the ship as opposed to the sides). It would be very nice if we could just ALT-J these and it be assumed you landed.

I had that same problem when I was first given the objective to land on the Indus. Once I found out where the fighterbay actually was, though, it was no longer a problem.

Most Blue Planet missions make it such that you are usually less than 5000m away from the ship where you are supposed to land on. Abusing ETS settings can speed things up a little, and most BP-era ships can cover large distances quickly. Mind you, if you consider 5000m to be far out, you haven't played the KING of far-out skirmishes...
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Darius

Might be he is talking about the Sathanas disarming mission. The player can be pretty far away from the Orestes at the end of the mission depending on which direction they went. The Raynor's fighterbay entrance isn't immediately apparent either.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Out of place question: how long does it take you guys to make a high complexity mission like, say, Delenda Est? A month?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline crizza

Might be he is talking about the Sathanas disarming mission. The player can be pretty far away from the Orestes at the end of the mission depending on which direction they went. The Raynor's fighterbay entrance isn't immediately apparent either.
True, but there you have all the time you want to return to the Orestes, while in Delenda Est you realy have to turn tail and burn towards the Indus.

Offline Darius

Out of place question: how long does it take you guys to make a high complexity mission like, say, Delenda Est? A month?

Well for me it takes longer than others to do complex missions, mainly because I'm getting familiar with stuff that I've never used before. There's one huge mission that I've been trying to complete for the past six months now. Others probably get done around about a month.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The complexity of the missions in WiH2 cannot be overemphasised. Delenda Est may seem complex, but comparing it to nearly any mission in WiH2 is almost like comparing Surrender, Belisarius! to Windmills.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Well for me it takes longer than others to do complex missions, mainly because I'm getting familiar with stuff that I've never used before. There's one huge mission that I've been trying to complete for the past six months now. Others probably get done around about a month.

If you don't mind me asking, is this a BP mission?

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
is it possible that either the Karuna or the akula itself (mission collateral damage) can take lesss hits now? So i tried this mission 5 times and the akula didnt surive a single time long enough to see the ranvir firing with its main guns on those corvettes. Before the last update the akula surived long enough to be eaten by a SSM-Strike.
Wut? The Akula is supposed to fight the Corvettes long enough till the Ranvir gives them a run for it's money. It never happened to me that the Akula was destroyed before that uber-SSM.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I confirm the Akula gets hulled long before the Ranvir can finish his own corvette in current version.

I'm confident the BP team is working on all those new issues.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline crizza

Strange...it survives...just played the mission...

Offline -Norbert-

What difficulty settings are you all playing on? Maybe the problem only occurs above a certain level.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
What question is that. Hard or Insane are the only difficulties worth being played.

Offline Darius

The fate of the Akula is run via a roulette - it has a 1 in 4 chance of getting Heavy Armor 60 (60% of damage), and the rest of the time it has Heavy Armor 80. The Akula's surviveability in the initial battle was quite variable to begin with - maybe it's just been a particularly bad run for the ship?

I'll look a bit more into it and see if it's anything else.

Offline Gorman

After downloading the newest version and replaying the WIH for a third time - It's a Masterpiece.

In the newest version, on hard level, the Akula is destroyed most of the time by those 2 Corvettes. Only Once out of 5 it did survive long enough to by ripped to pices by those magnificent SSM Strikes.

I just love Collateral Damage - first break left to avoid Cho flak, then watch GTVA Shock and awe.

GTVA simply deserves to win.