Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 908338 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
We wanted to ship an Atreus command mission with the latest release, but Lepanto backed out before it could be finished, and unfortunately we had to kill the feature.

Finally got the tank bug on camera. The attached video is in four parts, because I used the trial version of FRAPS.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Sorry if these questions were already answered.

What's that really big GTVA bomber seen at the end of Act 3? Didn't their bomber doctrine move away from those, preferring faster, lighter bombers?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Here's another video using a debug script. The quality isn't that good, so I included some screenshots.

I've never had the bug after restarting the mission. Might be a coincidence, or might be why the bug's so hard to replicate.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sorry if these questions were already answered.

What's that really big GTVA bomber seen at the end of Act 3? Didn't their bomber doctrine move away from those, preferring faster, lighter bombers?

GTB Gorgon
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Axem

Thanks Ghyl, the video... well the bad quality sorta made it not helpful. I really wanted to read that text... But the screenshots do help. They confirm the problem is the missiles being told to point to somewhere else... As you can see in the screenshot, the point the missile is aiming for is... nothing.

Anyone else who has the cursed touch, please download this script and try and hit the same platforms as Ghyl. I want to see if they are random or they always jump to the same bad coordinates. Gold star to anyone who can record in 1080p and puts it on YouTube. Kudos for just screenshots.

We wanted to ship an Atreus command mission with the latest release, but Lepanto backed out before it could be finished, and unfortunately we had to kill the feature.

So, just to confirm, the mission's not ever going to be finished? Aww...

I'm still curious about how the main beam overloads work, and whether that's a feature inherent to the Erebus.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm still curious about how the main beam overloads work, and whether that's a feature inherent to the Erebus.
I'm not sure there's much gain to be had in asking lore questions about a potentially-placeholder gameplay element in an unfinished mission...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Real LifeTM is going to keep me busy for a while, but here's a little more info. Take 1.zip and Take 1.jpg came from one playthrough (different from the others I've posted); Take 2.zip and Take 2.jpg came from another playthrough. Hopefully the video quality is decent this time.

More importantly, I've figured out how to reproduce it. I only get the bug if I first play "Her Finest Hour" (other missions don't have the same effect) from the tech room, then play "Eyes in the Storm" from the tech room. Don't know why it would make a difference, but that's what I'm seeing.

EDIT: Also, after it happens once, it keeps happening every time I play the mission, which is why I've previously claimed that it happens to me "consistently".

FURTHER EDIT: Yep, that's definitely the trigger. When I play "Her Finest Hour" beforehand, I get the bug 100% of the time. When I do anything else, I don't get the bug. I don't even need to finish "Her Finest Hour" - if I fly around for 5 seconds, then quit to the menu and load "Eyes in the Storm", I get the bug.

Not related: by mashing the "3" key (for example), you can deploy all five flak turrets on the same platform.

FINAL EDIT: It also happens with "Universal Truth". "Her Finest Hour" and "Universal Truth" are both very complex missions. Maybe variables are being used up, or something.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:23:42 am by GhylTarvoke »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Good bughunting!

I've confirmed your results & reproduced on 3.7.4 release, playing all missions from the techroom.

1) Her Finest Hour -> Eyes in the Storm (repro'd)
2) One Future -> Eyes in the Storm (no bug) -> Her Finest Hour -> Eyes in the Storm (repro'd) -> Eyes in the the Storm (repro'd)
3) Universal Truth -> Eyes in the Storm (repro'd, but the drop pods were only slightly off target, the debug script reported the co-ords difference but all the pods hit their platform regardless)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Yes, that's exactly what I got - only slightly off with Universal Truth.

I bet a lot of players got this bug when playing through the campaign (because Her Finest Hour comes right before), then couldn't reproduce it.

I'm not sure there's much gain to be had in asking lore questions about a potentially-placeholder gameplay element in an unfinished mission...

Perhaps there's not much gain to be had, but it's something that I thought was personally interesting, and the Atreus does have some custom modifications - and as mentioned, Steele is my favourite character - so if there was anything on this topic laying around I was curious to hear it, that's all. You're right, maybe there's nothing set in stone at the moment, and maybe there won't be at all! But surely there's nothing wrong with asking?

Offline Axem

Awesome job, GhylTarvoke. I can now reproduce this infuriating bug!

Now how to fix it...  :blah:

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
What's UEX Maitreya?
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
What's UEX Maitreya?
Byrne's super special secret project, I think.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

I bet a lot of players got this bug when playing through the campaign (because Her Finest Hour comes right before), then couldn't reproduce it.

You'd think it'd be more common then. Maybe it's because when playing through the campaign you don't go from HFH to Eyes, there's a dreamscape segment in between.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Hmm, good point. There may be another trigger, because I don't think I played HFH every time I had the bug.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I guess we try try to confirm that with a test pattern like HFH -> OneFuture -> Eyes, or HFH -> Dreamscape -> Eyes (except not sure how the dreamscape will behave from techroom)
----
----

Offline Homura

Can someone tell me how the Beam Jamming works? I found the Jammed AI but it doesn't seem to do anything to the Beam weapons.

Or is every single shot in those missions scripted???

I also spotted the "awacs-set-radius" at Subsystem and Health section of the Event Editor. Does awacs actualy do something? I thought the effects of the awacs is scripted in the missions and just tould to the player by messages. (like communications jamming or removing stealth)
If searched a while now but found nothing in regards. I hope you can enlighten me. thanks

Beam jamming is scripted through SEXPs, the jammed AI is probably some sort of "debuff" AI, with decreased accuracy, turn/fire rates, etc.

awacs-set-radius sets the detection range of the AWACS --> how far it can see in nebula missions and how far it can detect stealth ships.