Author Topic: Just Another Day Development Blog  (Read 234828 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Just Another Day Development Blog
Is it sad that my first thought about the PhD was "Derek Smart!"?

Offline Axem

What is sad talking about His Holiness President of the GTVA: Derek Smart XVII PhD on this board?

Offline Lorric

I've no idea what you're going to use it for, but I love it. It looks like a real product so much. I want to reach out and pick it up and unbox it. :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'd just like to state for the offical record that I have never called Lunar unit, Moon unit.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Since I saw you mention this on IRC the other day...

:wakka:

(also, this trigger a bug, if you right click anywhere FSO crashes :nervous:)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Axem

It gets me out of supporting 640 res so I'm glad you like. :p

The crash is probably because there's technically just 1 button on that mainhall screen, the exit button.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Does it even matter if it crashes? I mean, you're totally gonna do something other than exit the game anyway?
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
true - but the crash may occur in other situations as well, maybe it'll occur anytime there's a mainhall without all the retail buttons defined? (ok, so that's probably unlikely to affect many people either, fine! :))
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Axem

Why does this stuff take so long?!

Oh, that's why. Nevermind.

Actually I'm glad Spoon told me to redo part of this mission that I set in stone months ago. Even though it meant throwing away something like 3+ weeks of work done a year ago... I just spent 1 week of work and immensely improving the mission. Before it was a "well its not bad, but I don't want to replay it" and now its a "I love playing this mission".

Man being a perfectionist is so hard...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm basically the worse thing that has happened to JAD

Ya'll thank me later..!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Axem

If this was a pro game dev studio, I would have been replaced ten times over already for going over budget, over scope and told to "stop changing the missions" every 3 months.

Yes it's true, Chris Roberts is my spirit animal.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Perfectionism is what awesome campaigns are made of.
That, and tons of sweat.
And blood, but no tears at all.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Axem

This month's amazing update highlight:

• Spoon added pugs, then removed them.

Tune in next month when I detail how I decreased a weapon's power usage by 0.1. Which one? The answer may surprise you.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Tune in next month when I detail how I decreased a weapon's power usage by 0.1. Which one? The answer may surprise you.
...Prometheus R? That would surprise me.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Axem

It would surprise me too. I haven't decided which weapon I'd alter yet. That's why I said it'd be next month.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Hey, Axem, it's Next Month-ember.

It's dead, isn't it.

:nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Axem

Hey, I've still got 13 days to decide which weapon to buff by a totally insignificant amount! Stop pressuring me! I don't work well like that! I'm going to make dumb mistakes!!

*Axem changes Maxim fire wait to 0.01*

Crap.

Offline Misuzu Stella

• I like to lampshade things
Axem can't control all these leaks of inside information

Incoming sugar rush

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
-finishes Christmas candies-

Hmph, that CANNOT be a very healthy, fulfilling diet! At least mix in some protein bars with all of that teeth-crushing rubbish!

Srsly, though, looking good so far. I know you're busy with admin work and all sorts of other stuff. But I'm hopefully not alone in wishing that you'll eventually finish JAD, your original pride and joy.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Axem

Axem can't control all these leaks of inside information

Oh noes, muh new and secret powerups. :( JAD is ruined!

Why is it always these cheeky blonde girls that leak my top secret info? Why can't you be more like Epsilon 1? He's so obedient and patient!

But just to give a bit of context to that pic. You can see there's the old Beam Bar and Capella Sun-Bom powerups along with some new ones. Salt Mine Potato Chips (gradual health regen), Plasma Cola (unlimited afterburner (Mango flavored) or unlimited weapon energy (Anima flavored) for a period of time) and Atomic Bull energy drink (invincibility for a period of time).

Srsly, though, looking good so far. I know you're busy with admin work and all sorts of other stuff. But I'm hopefully not alone in wishing that you'll eventually finish JAD, your original pride and joy.

I've been doing a lot of work on it lately, and I've really been meaning to show some stuff off but there's always something I just want to tweak. Juuuust a bit. Won't take more than 15 minutes.

*6 hours later*

Perfect.