Author Topic: Nebulon B Frigate WIP UPDATED June 05, 2015  (Read 106047 times)

Offline PHRiSCo

Nebulon B Frigate WIP UPDATED June 05, 2015
UPDATED June 05, 2015

Ok! I'm back on this sucker. I've working on it in my office spare time and determined to finish! Progress this week is below in p3d!

UPDATED July 28, 2013

A few more details on the front of the engine hull, now started detailing the connector.

UPDATED July 27, 2013

I decided to stop ****ing around and finish this project. I'm getting much closer. This is taking a long time, but it'll get done soon. Finished the front of the engine hull modelling.

UPDATED August 29, 2012

Still slowly getting in geo tweaks when I can. Basically my final geo workflow is as follows; I've downloaded all the reference I can possibly find, and I'm going through each image, combing through and making the final changes as I go. I've done a lot on the forward hull here, but also some in and around the connecting rod and the engine hull.

7702 polygons.

UPDATED again August 17, 2012

UPDATED August 17, 2012

So I lied... I'm still making revisions to the geometry, based on new reference I hadn't seen before. (Found on this site, weird.)

I've completely reworked where the spine meets the forward hull. Made changes to the bottom area of the forward hull. Random tweaks here and there. I'm still going to do a few more hours of work on it before I'm completely satisfied.

I've also encoded into a better codec, so the video is much clearer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZhQNW6WX4

ok I lied... I just found some incredible reference and I want to make some small tweaks. Stay tuned.

UPDATED August 16, 2012

VIDEO!
http://youtu.be/ab75eafR_FM

UPDATED August 15, 2012 (Rendered AO turntable, revisiting geometry)

UPDATED flat textures

UPDATED January 09, 2012 (Modelling 99% complete, faux textures applied for effect.)
I'm so sorry guys, since my last update life has been a hurricane. True Crime was cancelled by Activision, then I went over to a small company and shipped 2 small titles, Bass Shop Pro The Hunt: Trophy Showdown, and The Strike: Tournament Edition as the Lead Character Artist. Now I'm back with United Front Games finishing the True Crime project under a different banner with Square publishing. I've been super busy but decided to attempt to finish this thing off in the next few months. Go ahead and critique, I'll take notes and possibly tweak some geo before I lay out my UVs for texturing.

May 02, 2010 (Extended the front section to better match reference material from set shots.)

March 25, 2010 (Geometry tweaking, don't get a lot of time to work on this lately.) *added requests

November 25, 2009 (Geometry = Complete. I think?)

July 21, 2009

July 01, 2009 (Just screwin around)

July 01, 2009

June 30, 2009

June 30, 2009 (Higher Res)

June 30, 2009

June 30, 2009

June 27, 2009

June 26, 2009

June 26, 2009

June 25, 2009
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:36:20 pm by PHRiSCo »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Nebulon B Frigate WIP
I don't think I've ever seen this style of 3D modeling in action.  It's cool to see a bunch of blocks start to take shape into something familiar. :)

I know you just started on this, so it's just basic shapes still, but it looks like a blaster. I know there'll be a dramatic difference in the next few pics, looking forward to it.

Offline PHRiSCo

I don't think I've ever seen this style of 3D modeling in action.  It's cool to see a bunch of blocks start to take shape into something familiar. :)

You've never seen box modelling before?

Offline PHRiSCo

updated 06/26/2009 11:00pm pst

I may or may not do more this weekend.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Just out of curiosity, you're not modeling with a drafting/solid modeling app are you?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline PHRiSCo

Just out of curiosity, you're not modeling with a drafting/solid modeling app are you?

naw i'm just using max.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

You've never seen box modelling before?

Not straight from the beginning like this, at least.  Most modelers around here tend to post a first shot that's somewhat further along, so I thought it was neat to see the original basic shape. :)

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
indeed, hope though that you are going to scale up the fron bit which looks a little small in the most recent update.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:42:38 pm by MR_T3D »

I think the front isn't finished. What's there is the armor panel that connects the many tubes and pods together.

Offline PHRiSCo

I don't mind critiques, I most welcome them! But not when I'm just posting progress and have put a couple of hours into a project.

Just save it until nearer to the end, or I'll stop posting progress, it's up to you. If everyone voices their opinions through the course of this model, this thread will fill up to fast.

Thanks.

Offline jacek

Nice start  :)
I was checkin' your website and all that I may say is... you could create nice models and scenes so keep it up!  :)

EDIT: BTW. I love watching progress... so don't stop it!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 05:57:56 pm by jacek »

I'm loving the first pic, all those neat little details. Can't wait to see the model in its final stage (no texture just model). Are you planning on doing some fighters?

Offline PHRiSCo

Updated 06/27/2009 5:44pm, now to hockey! :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Nice work there, PHRiSCo. One suggestion though: Could you use [lvlshot][/lvlshot] instead of [img][/img]?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Nicer!
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oh nice. It's so awesome just looking at it gradually get more detailed one step at a time. :yes:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
One thing to keep in mind before you get too far phrisco, is that there are two variants of this ship.  The original battle-ready version with a hangar for TIEs and the modified medical version.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline PHRiSCo

Once the base is complete it's not a difficult thing to change the geometry. I guess I'm doing the medical frigate first, I'm sure most of my reference is for that.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok.  I'm not even sure if the battle version was supposed to have an internal hangar, or external racks like the Carrack.  Might just end up being whatever we can make work.