Author Topic: Nebulon B Frigate WIP UPDATED June 05, 2015  (Read 106047 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Nebulon B Frigate WIP
YEAHHHHHH!!!

It's great to see this thing done or nearly so. Tremendous work, PHRiSCo!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Are we allowed to make critiques yet? I'm a bit concerned about the abrupt transition from the horizontal elements to the vertical elements. A nicer transition would be appreciated. I made a little .gif to illustrate:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Which way actually looks like the movie model?  This isn't a model we have a lot of wiggle room with, gotta pretty much get it spot on.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline PHRiSCo

Yeah I built it using specs from various resources, as close as I could with poly limits. A nicer transition might be cool, however you should of told that to Nilo and Joe 30 years ago. :)

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I like it a lot.

EXCEPT:
the engine section looks a little too big to me.
just a small critique, and just me

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Don't make me get the cat'o'nine...
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

There was an image posted earlier back in this thread that looked like the profile of the movie model. It was also more triangular.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Reposted for clarification:

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
PHRiSCo, it looks like the shape of your forward section is a bit closer to the EGVV schematic in profile than the stills of the filming model.  Would it be workable at this stage to stretch and adjust certain elements out in order to match the B&W photos?  This overlay Brand made a couple pages back should illustrate the general difference in shape, though I know you aren't working just from the EGVV stuff:

Offline PHRiSCo

Updated May 02, 2010

Nice flow.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
 :yes2: :D :yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
One of my favorite SW ships and you did er' proud
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Looking awesome!

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Much better!  Keep it up!

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
awww yeah ninja.
that's looking good.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Awwwwwesome

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
This may sound a bit out of left field, but given the nature of the mod's re-imagining for ships never seen on-screen, (E-wing, Z-95, Assault frigate(?))  would it be too much trouble to suggest that an imperial version would have a more 'complete' looking outer hull, not unlike how early Y-wings had panels the alliance deemed unnecessary?
It looks like the alliance keeps a spine of hull plating going down the main section of the front to hold the modules together, I would think such sloppiness in design would not be tolerated by the empire in their deployments of the ship.
It could go a fair way to help differentiate the factions use of the similar ship, and add more of the relative strung-togetherness of the rebel fleet vs. the imperial navy.

Offline Archaic

remember kids, only you can prevent threadomancy

Yes, I'm a n00b, and no I'm not an aeronautical engineer (yet), but I DID stay at a holiday-inn express last night!

Found a fascinating critique on the Nebulon B design, particularly relating to it's size and scale. Long story short, based on the shots of it provided throughout the original trilogy (IV, V and VI) it is significantly smaller than all of the references list it. Here is a link to the critique (attached to deck plans).

http://www.colonialchrome.co.uk/Ships/Generic/G_KDY_Nebulon-B.htm

Not saying anything is wrong with the model here, whether you want to go with listed references (which, to me, make more sense) or the visual models used in the movies (Admittedly the cheapest way to portray an image, marketed to folks who would simply take the references as fact and not bother analyzing the movie with a ruler) is entirely your prerogative, and neither, in my mind, is necessarily correct. I just wanted to share this information, as it was certainly an interesting find for me!