Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 612090 times)

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Re: What are you playing right now?
I barely played XCOM 2, what did they do to the DLC

When I've had the energy, I've been playing Cosmic Star Heroine, a fun little JRPG styled game from the devs of Cthulu saves the world. It's heavily inspired by Chrono Trigger if that peaks your interest. It also has a very nice combat system that's about as fast a turn based system as I've seen and encourages speed.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

In terms of Freespace? I'm rerunning JAD. :D

For other games, I picked up the Armored Core series from 4-5:VD pretty cheaply for about 50 bucks. Between that and Wolfenstein: New Order, I have a busy summer ahead.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I loved AC 4 and 5 (didn't play VD). AC4 is an incredibly hard game from what I remember. Also there's still rumors about AC6. Not that I don't love Brigador but I could use a decently budgeted mech game every so often.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Aside from the complexity and customization, I sort of like the fact that the ACs DON'T handle perfectly and turn on a dime. You have to strategize your builds, minimize weaknesses, and actually pilot your unit with some skill. Trading blows with ACs is a good way to get scrapped.

As for other games coming out soon, Ace Combat 7 I'm super excited for. Putting laser pods on F-15s and sending them against sky robots? Yes please.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
AC 4 answer would be amazing on ps4vr.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
That would be crazy. Flying around arms forts in VR...FROMSOFTWARE THIS IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY FOR VR
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've sunk over 70 hours into my Just Cause 2 save, and I'm just now starting to approach 100% completion on all the map locations.  Dear lord this game is huge.

As much as I love AC4 and 4FA, I do like walking in a clunky mecha mech. And the story of the older games is allot cooler to me. More distinct.

'What are you playing right now?'

Freespace.  Why...are there other games?
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline Rhys

'What are you playing right now?'

Freespace.  Why...are there other games?

The only true answer

Just finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. If you haven't heard of it, it's a relatively short, modestly priced ($30 USD) hack and slash/puzzle game with a central theme of mental illness. A lot of games have tried to depict what psychosis is like and none of them have gotten anywhere close to what these developers have managed to pull off. They actually worked with various psychiatrists and people suffering from mental illness to make the experience as authentic as possible, and speaking as someone who's experienced some mild psychosis before, they really nailed what it's like at times. They make use of binaural ASMR-like audio to give you the impression that there are voices right beside you as you play (wear headphones!). They rarely stop talking and will constantly command you, comment on, question, and criticize your actions. It was so surreal. I had to put the game down a few times because it got a bit overwhelming, but the story kept bringing me back.

Hey, thanks for this. I was wondering whether or not I should pick it up becuase I've had a close relative suffering from psychosis, and mental ilnesses are not uncommon from where I live. Sounds like it's tactfull!

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Lately I bought a bunch of Gamecube games and I've been playing Star Wars: Rebel Strike
The land missions, either on vehicles or on foot are a pain in the neck, they either feel like useless padding or like in the case of the two final Luke missions stupidly frustrating because of the platforming.
While until now I managed I still have trouble aiming with the thumbstick, it's basically impossible being precise with the thing.

The unlockaable vector arcade is rather interesting, there are also the two sequels but I have yeat to unlock them.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I never bothered with that game because of all the negative buzz I heard about those segments.  Rogue Leader was great though, and jaw-droppingly gorgeous for its time.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I never bothered with that game because of all the negative buzz I heard about those segments.  Rogue Leader was great though, and jaw-droppingly gorgeous for its time.
It's mostly that the on foot sections are very meh (the controls and camera are bad but they are also super-easy for the most part apart from the two that have platforming), but the space shooting has some nice set pieces.
I'm not sure how I feel about the AT-ST and speeder bike sections, the former feel clunky the latter too much like racing stages and I'm not a fan of racing games in general.
Besides it's rather cheap to get and it's Star Wars.
Meanwhile I unlocked the other two arcade games, I don't like the ROTJ one that much but the TESB one is kinda neat, it feels much more varied than the first Star Wars arcade.
I think the problem is that there are a bit too many on foot sections, while there seems to be only a couple of speeder bike levels so they don't overstay their welcome there are many on foot shooting sessions even in the middle of mostly space shooting based levels.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Castle Story finally released. I'd call it enjoyable somewhat? But pretty slow due to bad AI. Workers easily get stuck if you're not careful because they are too dumb not to dig straight down to a point of no return :doubt:
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Forged Alliance Forever is lovely.

I am a fair bit rusty though :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Okay why did no one tell me Age of Empires IV is now a thing.

*Watches trailer*

*Sees Relic*

"OOooohhh!"

*Sees Microsoft/Windows 10*

"Ewwwwwww..."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Indeed.  The same is true for the original Age of Empires revamp they're doing.  Hopefully saner heads (or let's face it, desire for money) will prevail and they'll wind up on additional platforms down the line.

Forged Alliance Forever is lovely.

I am a fair bit rusty though :lol:

Shame I was treated like **** by the playerbase :D It's a fairely decent platform.

*Watches trailer*

*Sees Relic*

"OOooohhh!"

*Sees Microsoft/Windows 10*

"Ewwwwwww..."

I honestly did not need this in my life. I was ready to move on. Also ew Relic.