Author Topic: Just Another Day Development Blog  (Read 233977 times)

Re: Just Another Day Development Blog
@Axem

It has been a long time since I played the original JAD trilogy but I still remember laughing at its weirdness. Since then JAD has evolved into something even more unique and I have to be impressed by your eternal quest for perfection.

While I didn't particularly enjoy the overly long VN cutscenes of 2.22, I was floored by many technical aspects of the campaign.

Thank you for all your hard work! I eagerly wait for the final chapter of the story  :pimp:

Offline Axem

Thanks! I knew not everyone would be a total fan of the story stuff, so I tried to make the gameplay as rad as possible to compensate. It's good to hear that you've been around long enough to see this transition from regular-every-day-crazy to this-is-some-serious-crazy. ;)

(Maybe I'll have like an "abridged" path that just does the gameplay missions if that's all some people are after.)

I'm catching up through 2.22. And now, more than ever, I'm seeing where that sniper-spotter beam cannon mission in Vassago's Dirge gets its inspiration from. :P

Also, one of the characters looks like a cross between Bri from Appleseed and a Patlabor, so it's an automatic successful mod.

Offline Axem

Other way around actually... ;) Vassago's Dirge came out roughly 6.5 years before JAD2.22... But the idea did sort of dawn on me to have a reverse Vassago sniper-spotter mission as the mission was getting fleshed out. And it's okay since I'm just stealing ideas from myself anyway!

Offline Axem

Happy 1-year anniversary JAD2.22.

Holley must make some cake now...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
2017 really did fly by didn't it.

Offline Axem

Holley must make some cake now...

Wow, what did humanity do to you that turned you into a soulless monster like that. :shaking:

2017 really did fly by didn't it.

My only dream is to finish JAD before I die of old age.

Wow, what did humanity do to you that turned you into a soulless monster like that. :shaking:

I WANT IT. FINISH IT! NOW!

;)

Offline Axem

I WANT IT. FINISH IT! NOW!

;)

I got old. :blah:

(I kid (mostly))

No idea when JAD work will begin again. I'm still helping Spoon with the next WoD episode. All that's been done on JAD so far is just rough drafts of some VN scenes. So nothing is in game yet, everything is still in early "pre-production". Sooooo sit tight for... a while.

I mean I guess we're all used to waiting around these parts, so we're all in good company.

No idea when JAD work will begin again. I'm still helping Spoon with the next WoD episode.

Well, that's a good excuse.  :)

Doing God's Waifu work Axem!

Offline Axem

Thanks  :yes:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Can we get a dawn from wings of dawn cameo?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Axem

Dawn's a very busy girl, saving her own universe from evil. So it's not very likely.

Dawn's a very busy girl, saving her own universe from evil. So it's not very likely.

But that means there IS a possibility for a WoD x JAD crossover once both are completed and Dawn has got time again.  ;)

Offline Axem

I mean... it could happen. But I've got no plans for it at the moment.

I'm OK with that; I never liked crossfiction actually, I only happen to like WoD and JAD things. :)

Offline Axem

Happy (roughly) 2 year anniversary of JAD2.22's release!

And just to make some small announcement, work on Just Another Day 2.23 started this month!

In the last big blog post, I expressed some uncertainty about what JAD2.23's form would take. I think I've recovered enough since then to have the creative capital budgeted to finish it in a proper fashion. After the enormous workload of JAD2.22 (which included a partial remaster of JAD2.21), doing any more work at the time seemed too much. But for JAD2.23… there is not as much new stuff required. I've got a clear vision of what to do and how to go about doing it.

To give you a rough idea what to expect, there's going to be 6 space sim missions, and 9 VN "missions". I sure hope you like a lot of text! Because that's what you're getting!

So it's gonna get done! My goal is releasing sometime this year. Could be any day. Could be tomorrow! (Actually likely not!)

But I'd say I'm maybe 20ish% done so far. A lot of the VN text was slowly written over the last year and a bit, so getting that in game is going fast. And the space sim missions are going to be fairly straight forward, no silly things like overcomplicated multi-area missions, or stealth missions, or multi-area stealth missions.

So that's how JAD's going. How are you?

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Excited at the thought I might get to play more JAD this year.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull: