Author Topic: Ace Combat 7 - All the strangereal please  (Read 33741 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: Ace Combat 7 - All the strangereal please
There isn't even a pre-oorder page on Steam, though, I wanted to at least put it in mi wishlist.

If you're looking to play sim-like Asssault Horizon is definitely not what you're looking for. It uses a system called "dogfight mode" which makes your plane fly on rails and this system is forced on you quite often. It also has horrible door gunner and AC-130 gunner segments straight out of cod, I can't imagine those playing well on a joystick.

They do play well on a joystick actually, at least personally I didn't have any issue with those sections.

I hated the elicopter missions though.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
"Osia attacks indiscriminately, and has remorsefully injured countless innocent civilians"

Well at least they're remorseful about it

That is some good ****. I bet we'll also have confirmation about a strong Erusian foothold in Erusia.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
"Foothold" is obviously the correct term when your subhuman enemies have no homes and only the most tenuous grasp on existence.

How many planes can I date in this game???

More importantly, which Idolm@ster girls will be on which planes? There's no point if you can't fly a pink F-22 raptor with Haruka Amami on it or at least a Su-33 with Miki Hoshii.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Agreed
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
*sparkles* Behold *sparkles*

Looks like Ace Combat to me....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
ah yiss
Urutorahappī!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Time to show the other squadrons that we get wet, wild, and do dirty things

Just be glad we're not still dancing with the angels.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I wanted to replay that but no PC ver :(

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
If you've bought it legit then emulate I say!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Is there a 360 emulator?

Xenia exists as the only 'working' 360 emulator. AC6 is unplayable on it though, if you're really lucky you might get in-game and get the HUD to load. Then if you're extra lucky you'll get about 10 seconds of gameplay at 7 FPS before Xenia crashes.

For Ace Combat emulation you're pretty much stuck with the PS1 and PS2 classics since those work pretty well. The PS2 games now support hardware mode with a higher internal resolution too if you're using PCSX2 dev builds with mipmapping.

AC's immersion and combat chatter is second to none. It's really amazing as to how much it adds to the sense that you're a cog in a massive warmachine... like another well known action sim we love. ;)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah except the line writing and delivery is tosh.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

?
Urutorahappī!!

Were we playing the same AC games? The ones that are all about propping you up as the ultimate superbadass who is stated to be able to turn entire wars BY HIMSELF.
Because that's not what a cog in the machine usually does.

You do, but that's a rep you earn. Even in the later missions, allies are a big deal. It's no different from FS2 in which Alpha 1 is apparently the cog on which the entire GTVA turns, yet is part of massive allied operations. AC5 even has a kill counter for your wingmen, and while they'll only earn about 1/5 of your the kills during a normal campaign, they're not doing nothing.

Nobody in FS ever says something like "I feel like Blaze could win the war by himself, it's scary".

In Ace Combat, your action is the most important, you can and most of the time need to blow up every fighter, tank, guard tower, and battleship yourself. You can essentially ignore any allies as they're either invulnerable as story characters or not important, you can do absolutely everything yourself if you pick a jet with enough missiles. You encounter massive battleship or flying fortresses and proceed to take them down yourself or with a few wingmen. AC is at its core a power fantasy.

Maybe nostalgia goggles are clouding your vision here a bit, because allies at no point matter in any AC game I've played. Maybe some of handheld spinoffs have allies that do something, but I doubt it.

In Freespace you shoot some fighters and some bombers. Sometimes you do a bombing mission where your bombs contribute like 20% of the total damage to a capship. Most of the time you won't have the majority of the kills in a mission. You're not going to take on massive capitalships yourself or with only 1 wing and come out ahead. That's the big difference. You even fail quite a few missions and are completely helpless to do anything. Despite JAD's memery, Alpha 1 is definitely not the crux of the GTVA. The most you do in the retail campaigns is not die while shooting down lots of strikecraft, but you almost always have support from friendly capitalships whose beams will do most of the work against hard targets. Yes, you can get the SJ Sathanas on your fraglist but that's only because beam damage doesn't count for kill awards in retail. You're not really the one who killed it.

Nobody marvels at your skills. Nobody says you can win the war by yourself. Nobody talks about you like they're talking about a superhuman. Nobody is going to call you a demon or feel fear for the first time only in your presence. Enemies aren't going to panic just because you appeared. Freespace presents you with the limits of what a single pilot can do, in both narrative and gameplay.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:45:15 pm by FrikgFeek »