Author Topic: Expected AGM-41 Damage?  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Candor

Expected AGM-41 Damage?
I really hope I'm not about to embarrass myself - but what sort of damage should I be doing to the Heavy Missile Launchers in Mission 2 with each AGM-41 missile?

I seem to only be doing about 2% of its health as damage with each hit, but I've seen Lets Plays where each missile is doing a big chunk of damage. And it seems weird from a mission design point of view, if this is intended behaviour.

Should I be looking to see if I've made an installation error somewhere or ?

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Re: Expected AGM-41 Damage?
I usually take out a launcher per direct hit.
Just to make sure, you do know that some of your missiles aren't AGM-41s, right?
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Candor

I usually take out a launcher per direct hit.
Just to make sure, you do know that some of your missiles aren't AGM-41s, right?

Oh I know I have some others too. I've seen some one-hit kills, but maybe mine are sometimes hitting other bits of the model, or being shot down?

Also, if I lose lock, the missile misses - but I seem to lose lock when I'm on the last missile in a load-out location and auto-switches?

(Sorry for noobish blathering)

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I usually launch mine from very close range (maybe about 100 meters or so), and head-on at the launcher.  Sometimes, the missile will lock on even though you aren't at a good angle (ie from the side), so it won't do a whole lot of damage.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Also, if I lose lock, the missile misses - but I seem to lose lock when I'm on the last missile in a load-out location and auto-switches?
If you lose lock, nothing happens to missiles already in flight; if you're missing, it's for a different reason.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Pay close attention to the lock. You can be locked on but in a position where it will hit the top of the arm rather than the underside (where the launcher actually is). If it hits the top, you'll only get a low amount of splash damage done to the launcher.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
It's sensitive to the angle, as Karajorma explained. Unfortunately this is a game mechanic that isn't obvious or well explained, especially if you aren't already familiar with the ins and outs of the Freespace engine.

Offline Korwin

The missile should take out the launcher in 1 hit, but it's VERY sensitive to the direction you're firing from. Unless it's perfect, it will do close to no damage.  There are 2 heavy launchers per arm, for 12 total. They are on the TOP SIDES of each arm's tip. You need to fire from the TOP and slightly to the SIDE (the side that the launcher is on) to get a square hit. Getting closer helps. I was also frustrated by this, but after a couple of restarts I was able to do the mission with 100% AGM effectiveness.