Author Topic: just started playing - game works, but...  (Read 3092 times)

Offline blarg

just started playing - game works, but...
Hi,

I just picked up Freespace and installed the mods using the installer and started playing the FSport.  I played the first Freespace many years ago (when it was new) and really enjoyed it.  I was really happy to have found this FS modding community and am really looking forward to some more FS action.

I'm having an odd HUD problem and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

On the left side of the HUD, over the throttle indicator (the thick bar on the left) I have a super-imposed energy display (G and E).  Id there a fix for this?

All the ships I'm looking at have areas that are blown-out white.  I think they're supposed to be shiny but all I'm getting is white.

any ideas?

oh yeah, right now I'm just playing on my laptop which is an i7 4600 with Intel graphics.  At some point I'll set up a Steam box, but at the moment I'm just trying to get it up and running and see if it's worth spending the money on a dedicated PC gaming console.

Offline Yarn

Re: just started playing - game works, but...
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Part of your issue is the graphics accelerator. You might have an i7-capable laptop but Intel accelerators are trash and meant to provide enough power to use Aero and light games. Play without MediaVPs and uncheck everything that says 'enable' and check everything that says 'disable' in the graphics section of the launcher commands. You can take the MediaVPs out of the question by going into the FSPort mod folder and editing the mod.ini file by removing the entries for the FSPort MediaVPs in the primarylist field and the FSO MediaVPs in the secondarylist field. Though, to be honest I don't know how much that'll affect Silent Threat: Reborn.

I've had the HUD gauge thing happen to me before... I don't remember how I fixed it, but I think it had something to do with a conflict of HUD gauges. This was years ago, though, so without a .log I can't quite pinpoint the cause. What are you running your resolution at?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:36:44 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline blarg

I figured it out.  Looks like there was an error in the HUD table file that came with the doenloader.  I was able to make a couple if edits and got it looking like it should. 

The lighting issue was just the lighting option I selected... I changed to DaBrain and was able to turn on all options and run at 1920x1080 with no problems.

Like I said...I'm pretty new to this.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Do you think you can post a before and after of your edits?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline blarg

I've made other changes since I got it working, but I think that the problem was:

Code: [Select]
  +Afterburner Energy: default
   ;Position: (575, 735)
  +Weapon Energy: default
   ;Position: (850, 735)

I deleted "default" from those lines - that fixed it.  Then I started playing around with moving the HUD elements around and found a couple of HUD configs I liked elsewhere on this forum.

If it helps, I bought FS2 on Steam, installed it and then used the auto installer (it's a .jar) to install everything else so that's the config file that came down with the latest downloader.

I'm running in 1920x1080 by the way.

Offline Yarn

For FSPort and the MediaVPs at least, the installer shouldn't be installing any custom HUD tables. Are you sure you never added any yourself?

I suggest you look in the following folders and remove any files with names that contain "hud_gauges" or "-hdg" (ignoring folders that don't exist):
  • [your FS2 folder]\data\tables
  • [your FS2 folder]\mediavps_3612\data\tables
  • [your FS2 folder]\MediaVPs_2014\data\tables
  • [your FS2 folder]\fsport\data\tables
  • [your FS2 folder]\fsport-mediavps\data\tables
  • [your FS2 folder]\fsport-mediavps_2014\data\tables
  • [your FS2 folder]\fsport-str\data\tables
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline blarg

When I started researching my HUD problem I didn't know enough about FSOpen to add a HUD table.

I found one in \Freespace 2\data\tables

no hdg files.

Maybe I did something weird before I found the downloader.  I DID tell it to download "everything".

*shrug*

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
What's the build you're running?

Offline blarg

FSOpen installer 2.1.10

FS_Open executable 3.7.2

wxlauncher 0.9.4

FSPort 3.5 with mediaVP_2014

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Huh. Strangeness, indeed. I thought it was an old build oddity but I guess not. Perhaps some installer verification is in order as well.