Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Test Builds / Re: Unicode text support
« Last post by m!m on December 13, 2017, 09:52:59 am »
I'd like to report a couple of problems I could find so far. I understand there's a workaround for each of these but it would be great if FS2 Open can handle them.

“Token too long” error is a little too unforgiving. There are only 14 letters in the line but the error message says “Length = 42”. I believe this is UTF-8 related problem... Some Japanese characters (including hiragana, katakana and kanji) take 3 bytes in UTF-8.

Code: [Select]
Warning: Training-2.fs2(line 832):
Warning: Token too long: [プライマリウェポンを選択しろ].  Length = 42.  Max is 31.

File: parselo.cpp
Line: 301
As you correctly stated, the issue here is that the amount of characters you see is less than the amount of bytes it takes to store the characters. Unfortunately, there is no general solution for this apart from reducing the length of the string. There are a lot of places in the parsing code where a fixed size array is used for storing a string and there simply isn't enough space to store the entire string. That was no problem before since ASCII text is stored pretty efficiently but if you need characters that are encoded using 3 or 4 bytes then you run out of space pretty fast.

There is a way of fixing this by using a variable size string but that type is sufficiently different from the current code that it doesn't work everywhere without major changes.

I don't know what “MAX_BRIEF_LINE_LEN” means but it seems Japanese briefing text is too long to display (actually they are not that long). Cutting them in half can fix this error.

<snip>

FS2 automatically starts a new line when it encountered space (the one which appears when you hit “space” key) in Japanese text. Obviously you can avoid this by not using space at all.

<snip>
FSO probably doesn't know how to properly find word separators in Japanese text since that code is only written with Western languages in mind. It is possible to fix this by using an external library which knows how to split non-English text properly but that requires adding that library to FSO and integrating it into the code which is additional work. I hope that I can get around to that eventually but for now you probably need to help FSO a bit by adding spaces at the right places even if that makes the text look weird.

At least the first issue should be possible to fix without extensive changes to FSO (I hope) so could you upload your translation mod here so I can take a look at it?
The Scroll of Atankharzim / Re: RELEASE: GTSC Schrodinger
« Last post by Nyctaeus on December 13, 2017, 08:53:19 am »
:bump:

Downlonad link updated with correct color profiles of reflectmap and some minor changes.
Test Builds / Re: Unicode text support
« Last post by Nikogori on December 13, 2017, 08:46:49 am »
I'd like to report a couple of problems I could find so far. I understand there's a workaround for each of these but it would be great if FS2 Open can handle them.

“Token too long” error is a little too unforgiving. There are only 14 letters in the line but the error message says “Length = 42”. I believe this is UTF-8 related problem... Some Japanese characters (including hiragana, katakana and kanji) take 3 bytes in UTF-8.

Code: [Select]
Warning: Training-2.fs2(line 832):
Warning: Token too long: [プライマリウェポンを選択しろ].  Length = 42.  Max is 31.

File: parselo.cpp
Line: 301

I don't know what “MAX_BRIEF_LINE_LEN” means but it seems Japanese briefing text is too long to display (actually they are not that long). Cutting them in half can fix this error.

FS2 automatically starts a new line when it encountered space (the one which appears when you hit “space” key) in Japanese text. Obviously you can avoid this by not using space at all.

FS2 Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP) / Re: PBR and DDS file formats.
« Last post by Nyctaeus on December 13, 2017, 08:16:40 am »
:bump:

I'm reconverting the Schrodinger for proper -reflect format and I've noticed that albedo from this presets is incredibly dark:

Is this intended? Comparing to my previous exported textures, this results will be deffinitly darker ingame than desired result.
The Modding Workshop / Re: What are you working on?
« Last post by Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet on December 13, 2017, 07:04:37 am »
Oi!
I've taken a bit of an art change from purely futuristic spaceships to something that looks more like today's jets but in space.
For this one (F/A-12 'Gremlin'), I've taken a bit of inspiration from the F-14.

I had "Danger Zone" playing in the background while trying to get this picture.

"Watch the birdie"
General Discussion / Re: DeepMind does it again
« Last post by Luis Dias on December 13, 2017, 04:31:51 am »
regardless of all the issues being brought, the games were truly entertaining, and I honestly believe that there's something to be said about deepmind's own "organic" pattern seeking algorithm. It does give rise to beautiful chess, see below

The FreeSpace Upgrade Project / Re: Cutscene Upgrade [RELEASE: EndGame (FS1)]
« Last post by Oddgrim on December 13, 2017, 03:30:40 am »
Mmmm pixels! love them!, you're making good progress I like what I see :)
Getting Started / Re: Music Composer / Sound Designer
« Last post by karajorma on December 13, 2017, 02:53:31 am »
They probably tell bots to look for <dot> com now.
Gaming Discussion / Re: How EA ruined Mass Effect (Split from SWBF2)
« Last post by -Joshua- on December 13, 2017, 02:42:00 am »
They did add a D option in the extended cut which is Shepard refusing to choose by the by :)
Getting Started / Re: Music Composer / Sound Designer
« Last post by jr2 on December 13, 2017, 02:33:45 am »
Thanks for the quick replies.

Ultimately I'm looking for visual content for a music/sound-for-games demo reel.  Definitely not expecting to be paid for working on the mod, but ideally the demo content I help create will launch some paid work.

My gut says the best path would be to find a team working on (or PLANNING to work on) a total conversion mod, who are in need of some audio.

Any suggestions, referrals, etc. would be amazing!  Feel free to pass along my email, too - <e-mail address removed>

Generally a good idea to not put your e-mail in plain text (you'll get spammed by bots that crawl the web looking for exactly that).  I usually do something like user <dot> name <at> site <dot> com or somesuch.  (I put my e-mail in plain text on a forum ONCE.  It took months for the spam e-mails to finally slow down.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10