Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
FreeSpace Discussion / Re: Space train concept
« Last post by Mongoose on July 15, 2018, 11:35:45 pm »
Clearly he's going for this:

(I mean yeah Galaxy Express 999 fits the spirit more but come on)
FreeSpace Discussion / Re: Completed Blue Planet - AoA......wow
« Last post by ionia23 on July 15, 2018, 11:09:11 pm »
Still working my way through Act 1 of War in Heaven.  I have to say, this is what i'd expect if Issac Asimov and Larry Niven wrote the storyline, but had the production handled by, I dunno, David Lynch.  Absolutely astounding.  Brain? Eh, who needs 'em.  The folks behind this campaign are nothing short of pure genius.  talk about nailing it.  And not just because it looks pretty.

« Last post by Lorric on July 15, 2018, 08:04:11 pm »
In terms of resources expended to move the cargo, it is extremely efficient. Relying on a slower paire of ships to guide the "freight cars" to their destinations, the cars themselves would be cheap, barely hulls with minimal systems. Full starships are much more complicated because of the environmental systems and supplies needed for the crews.

Well within one's borders, it would be a viable option. There is also historical precedent for armored and armed trains.
Depends what you want, you kind of showed the options you have here, it could be some cheap, unarmed civillian tug pulling a train of cargo containers that just needs disabling like most transports do, though unlike those ships that need to be kept intact in order to get the cargo, a train can just be blown off the front then the pirates can move in and scoop up the cargo or even attach their own tug.

Or the other end of the scale, a massive, thickly armoured train with destroyer class weaponry on it right the way down the train. Additionally in a long train some of the carriages could open up to release fighters. Or swarms of missiles... :pimp:

A train could have a problem in that it could have engines at the back burning carriages behind. Colony Wars has engine wash and cargo transports with trains of cargo. The game also has tractor beams, so that's how the issue was solved there, the tractor beams connected the cargo and the cargo was far enough back to not suffer from engine wash.
Getting Started / Re: New player having some trouble
« Last post by sixstringedmatt on July 15, 2018, 07:48:33 pm »
EDITS: I have been able to launch MediaVP by running Knossos as administrator.

I am getting warmer on the controller support. Can anyone lend a hand? The below was found out after selecting "No Joystick" under Knossos settings.

- Using GlovePIE in non-retail FS2, the dual sticks aren't operating separately from one another (eg, I have left stick mapped to thrusters, right for mouse control) and both sticks are doing mouse control
- Using Glove PIE in retail FS2, the dual sticks operate as expected, but now the triggers on the ps3 controller (set up to be IDed as a 360 controller) don't work.

What's going on here?
FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support / Re: Intalling and the intaller
« Last post by kylekatarn77 on July 15, 2018, 06:48:57 pm »
See, that is the confusing thing and I hope that I am describing items with the right terms. Using the website I posted before, I tried to download and run the free space open installer. When I asks what I want to download, I see listings for different items but not he media VP me for freespace 2. I also donMt see blue planet or a few others in fact.
StarShatter Open Source Project / Re: Things to do in the source code
« Last post by Darkmage on July 15, 2018, 06:31:40 pm »
What dev environment are you guys using? e.g can we get it to compile in something like codelite on Windows first then move the project over to Linux once it's building?
Just Another Day / Re: Just Another Troubleshooting Thread
« Last post by Axem on July 15, 2018, 05:52:30 pm »
Glad you were able to complete it. :) The Selkie should be available... I'll add that issues and the one with the Ninth to my to-fix list to look at in the next week or so.
Just Another Day / Re: Just Another Troubleshooting Thread
« Last post by Volta on July 15, 2018, 05:36:54 pm »
I finished the game again without any problems now  :yes:

But i found another bug in the 'Escape from high school' mission if you advance to the school to catch the ninth beta tester without the conversation text being finished (extra problematic for people that want to rush it and have text to speech on by default) it just cuts to a blackscreen and not even restarting seems to fix the issue, the only way to fix it is to restart the game but then again you can avoid it by not rushing super fast.

And now to JADXA: is it normal that i can't choose alex's ship in any of the arcade missions? i was pretty sure i could play as him in the pre-knossos builds.
I also suffered a crash on the reflection boss when i shoot like a full load of rainbow rockeye missiles on him when he was reflecting my shoots.
I don't think i noticed anything else right now, so if you excuse me i am gonna see a doctor before i become also infected by the beta tester virus  :lol:

Thanks for making such crazy wonderful mods!
« Last post by Trivial Psychic on July 15, 2018, 04:59:07 pm »
If you do pursue this, just make sure that it doesn't have to take any evasive maneuvers or in fact any maneuvers at all.  If you have one tug ship with a long row of daisy-chained, docked cargo modules, as soon as the tug makes a turn, the cargo becomes one giant baseball bat a la Colossus.
Getting Started / Re: New player having some trouble
« Last post by sixstringedmatt on July 15, 2018, 04:27:12 pm »
@Ryhmes: thank you on all fronts! I will follow your steps later today and report back if i have trouble.

@mjn.mixael: Thank you - it seems to streamline @Rhymes steps if I wanted to play MediaVP for example, right?

@Galemp: will give it a go. I also posted in reddit and someone let me know the controller codes change from retail to MediaVP and I need to either fix a string in the config file (any idea where I could find that?) or update Knossos - to my understanding I am using the latest built already though.

in all cases, I'll do some poking around and report back later today!

Cheers,
Matt
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10