Author Topic: FreeSpace Files Support Thread  (Read 12283 times)

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
FreeSpace Files Support Thread
After nearly 15 years and four versions, I've decided to finally close down FreeSpace 2 Sector. It hasn't been updated much in the last 3 years, but despite that it is still the largest consumer of bandwidth on Sectorgame's server. But don't fret, I haven't forgotten about the FreeSpace communtiy entirely and I haven't just thrown you guys in the trash - Because I've created a new website in it's place, an archive of sorts. And then steps in FreeSpace files. FreeSpace files is basically everything that was stored on FreeSpace 2 Sector 'F2S' (mods, campaigns, images, fanfiction etc) rolled into one easy-to-use and tidy file manager. It doesn't have all the information that F2S once had (such as desriptions, ratings, screenshots etc) but I figured after so many years it's probably no longer necessary to have that as a requirement.

What FreeSpace files CAN do however is provide a constant around the clock access point for FreeSpace mods and projects. This is something that I couldn't do with F2S because the scripting was old and limited (built in 2006) and it was designed for a small server with limited capabilities. It is now a lot easier to obtain mods from the site, and even easier to add new content. All you have to do is login with a global username and upload the files, and then you're golden. You don't need to login to download content, and hotlinking is allowed. One thing I will stress though is that this new site won't work on older browsers.

What can you can upload to FreeSpace files? Anything, so long as it's related to FreeSpace. Mods, campaigns, music, artwork - you name it. There are no usage limits, and files can be as big as you want - The only limitation is your connection to the server, which is located in Europe. There are also some rules that apply when adding new content - You can see those on the main menu.

The F2S archive has been fully restored to FreeSpace files, so just about every mod out there is available on the server. There maybe some duplications or corrupted files, and overtime I'll weed those out. It's also possible to upload images and audio files to the server. A lightbox feature will allow you to browse through images, and an audio plugin allows you to play .mp3 and .wav files without downloading them. The site hasn't been fully tested yet, there are still some features that haven't been ironed out (such as the download folder button) and there maybe some missing files or simply broken packages I haven't seen. With time those will be caught and fixed.

Please remember the site is a work in progress and some parts are not finished yet.  :)

http://sectorgame.com/fsfiles/

Project Groups

As part of Sectorgames continued hosting for FreeSpace community projects, FreeSpace Files also features a private group exclusively for modders to use. If you want to setup an account, please PM me and I'll create a login for you. Private groups are secure and not open to the public.

On a side note, the Sectorgame forums have recently been semi-restored ( http://sectorgame.com/forums ) incase any former members were wondering what happened. They were broken for nearly a year (caused by php upgrades to the server) and I've just gotten around to restoring the database. I will be working on a new theme for the forums and Sectorgame homepage in the coming weeks, which coincides with a larger restoration project at Sectorgame. So far only the site moderators were aware of the forums being back online.

Over and out  :nod:

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:19:40 pm by Hunter »
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Goodbye to FreeSpace 2 Sector
Glad to see you back Hunter. I definitely missed FS2S when it was down.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oh cool, a new place to mirror stuff like FSMods, without the weird clunky interface that really was what was stopping me (and I think a lot of people) from using FS2S.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
Yeah, it was a pretty old interface :)
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Cool, added to my bookmarks
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Thanks for the effort, added to favorites as well   :nod:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
 :v: salutes you Hunter. :v-old: does as well.

Also :yes: for Truespace 3.2. Even though I already have it, there are a lot of young'uns who'd never believe that Steve - o's craft come from it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:43:43 pm by Colonol Dekker »
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
Hey there Dekker  :D I still have numerous old unused models built with that program.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Because if hard light were baby lol 5. We'd be vorlons or shadows and super skilled. All the young races with their fancy wings 3d.....

I just woke up :/
Absolutely well done on all that fan fiction too. Amazing stuff.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

I got into fs2 back in 2001 as a kid and just joined the community and played FS1 as a mod into fs2 and loved it! I definitely want to play every campaign in chronological order now and im glad i found this site! It would be great if you could link the downloads to the list of campaigns in chronological order

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Use the wiki. Make a list. Hunter's done enough work. :yes:

Also
:welcomered:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Use the wiki. Make a list. Hunter's done enough work. :yes:

just saying to new members that enjoy the storyline in chronological its a little difficult to pinpoint where the downloads are and how to initiate them at first took me a few hours of reading and looking around the web to figure it all out and for people not as patient as myself id imagine theyd give up, just a suggestion to make it more new-user friendly

Offline Axem

Well the issue with playing them in chronological order is that there are so many user made campaigns and very few actually interact with each other on a meaningful basis. There is no real story line among campaigns, most of them are in their own little pocket of continuity. There are a few campaign continuities like Cold Element and Blue Planet that have their own long term story lines which it would pay to play them chronologically, but in general its not necessary.

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
just saying to new members that enjoy the storyline in chronological its a little difficult to pinpoint where the downloads are and how to initiate them at first took me a few hours of reading and looking around the web to figure it all out and for people not as patient as myself id imagine theyd give up, just a suggestion to make it more new-user friendly

Well it's not finished yet, I may still add some additional functions such as description popups or even screenshots which would be more reminiscent of FreeSpace 2 Sector, but even with all that extra information a fresh newcomer would still have no clue where to start with FS Open, for example. FreeSpace Files is exactly just that: 'files'. It's for archiving all historic mods, and for modders to distribute their stuff on a stable and reliable system.

I still have all the multidata files from back in the years covering 3.3k pilot & squad pics. Brings back some nice memories.

Thought it might be something to put up there as well ?

www.ffighters.net/files/multidata.zip

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
You might have mine!!

* Colonol Dekker downloads eagerly to look for any JK47 stuff.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
OMG loaskull_jk47_lightsmall.Pcx. .....

Tears of joy. That means we crossed paths once.
Damn doublepost.

Edit. .. nosebleeds from the stuff. So many of my old ones.

Seriously.  Give the man a medal.

(Lol "sus 2 (better pic)" was one of mine too)

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:18:30 pm by Colonol Dekker »
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
Upped :)

ive uploaded old campaigns stuff freespace 2

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
Yeah I noticed - Thanks!