Author Topic: Free Space Movie or HBO series?  (Read 5229 times)

Free Space Movie or HBO series?
Just a random thought, wouldn't be cool to have an HBO series for Freespace?

How far away do you think we are from that?  Can anyone think of a good cast list?

Re: Free Space Movie or HBO series?
It's a pretty fun thing to speculate about but it'd never happen thanks to copyright and Interplay being ****heads.

Idris Elba seems popular these days, he'd probably make a good Steele now that Avery Brooks is too old.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I vote the guy from robocop as admiral bosch. The dude from independence day would make a great petrarch too.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline -Norbert-

I'm not so sure this is quite HBO's thing.

With so much of the story happening out in space between ships and fighters an animated series or movie seems more fitting to me.

But whatever kind of medium is used, the most essential thing will be to keep Uwe Boll out of it so it'll at least have the chance to be good.

I vote the guy from robocop as admiral bosch. The dude from independence day would make a great petrarch too.
You mean Peter Weller & Will Smith ? Yeah, that sounds nice enough. ;)

Offline -Norbert-

If they can afford it, I'd love to see Morgan Freeman as Petrarch.

And Edward James Olmos as the voice of Command?

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Lets make a movie ourselves!
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

using the voice cast would be absolutely hilarious for that
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I'm not so sure this is quite HBO's thing.

With so much of the story happening out in space between ships and fighters an animated series or movie seems more fitting to me.

You would probably focus most of the storyline from the capship War Rooms and governing bodies emergency situation meetings planetside.  Plus the advanced experimental tech rooms where they develop all the rip offs of Shivan tech.  Ship-to-ship combat would provide the excitement when needed, but would not be the main focus.

My 2c.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I'm pretty sure this is the wrong board for this.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I suggested this on the Syfy forums a few years back as I was something I would love to see as well. Unfortunately, the thread I started had not generated much interest, so whereas I believe that it could be something epic I don't think it will ever happen. :(
I do not feel... I think!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You would probably focus most of the storyline from the capship War Rooms and governing bodies emergency situation meetings planetside.  Plus the advanced experimental tech rooms where they develop all the rip offs of Shivan tech.  Ship-to-ship combat would provide the excitement when needed, but would not be the main focus.

My 2c.

This is the first time I've seen someone suggest a way to actually script the series in one of these discussions.

Elaborate?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Play it like The Wire, opening with characters on the tactical level and their immediate operational superiors, then opening the scope up into fleet-level and civilian authority into the picture on the UEF and GTVA side. Keep the previous cast levels in play as you escalate so you can show the feedback loop of decisions and consequences on both sides of the war.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
If you got time out of your hectic schedule, Battuta, maybe you could write a script and pitch it to a studio! ;)

Although saying that... might have to ask Interplay first.  :banghead:
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I remember last time this can't up posting something about how the 14 year war against a desert dwelling alien species that users suicidal tactics had great analogistic  potential for telling stories about the wars in the middle east. You could have a war weary public, lots of desert footage not dissimilar to what people were/are seeing on the nightly news, put the GTI in the rule of untrustworthy government agency etc etc.

You'd design a big long 5 year arc that starts with the last year or so of the Vasudan war, and spend the first two seasons gradually building up the Shivan threat (through the idea that the GTI had foreknowledge of them), and leave some thread for the GTI rebellion. Seasons 3 and 4 would be the Shivan War, season 5 would be Silent Threat.

I think it would still be cool, of course, but I reckon if it had come out just a few years ago, before most of the Western troops were pulled from Afghanistan, it would have had a tad more relevance.

Still, a man can dream... :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

My 2c.

This is the first time I've seen someone suggest a way to actually script the series in one of these discussions.

Elaborate?

The problem with movies based on video games is they sometimes tend to focus too much on the front lines where all the action is, like the games do -- but with the games, this is so you have something to do, because that's why you (as an actor) are there.  Notice how games include animated shots / cutscenes to explain most everything they want to involve you with plot-wise that doesn't directly involve you acting on the scene.  However, for a movie, you want more depth than mostly adrenaline-fueled shots so it doesn't feel like a cheap action flick with no perspective, and for a series, you want to know even more than that.

Perhaps you could open the series with the GTI experimenting around Ross128, attracting the Shivans' attention, with the GTA-PVE war sprinkled in to give background.  End Season 1 with the Lucy slagging Outpost Riviera.

Start Season 2 with the intel briefs of both the GTI and PVE leadership (chaining from upper level Generals and them forwarding it to their superiors civvy-side). 

I haven't really thought too much past that, but basically with a series, you would want to see the forest, whereas the games focus on the trees (as that's the level where an individual interacts with the universe in an FPS -- unless you go the RTS route, in which case you see some of the tactical level forest).  Feature films would be between those two levels, probably following a few major players and some generals from some capships or whatnot, as that's all they have time to really develop.

Battuta's idea seems good.

Play it like The Wire, opening with characters on the tactical level and their immediate operational superiors, then opening the scope up into fleet-level and civilian authority into the picture on the UEF and GTVA side. Keep the previous cast levels in play as you escalate so you can show the feedback loop of decisions and consequences on both sides of the war.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Personally in my magical fantasy world I'd pay Otaking to make an animated series/movie akin to what he just finished for Star Wars.  I mean, you look at that and it's just...goddamn.

Offline Vrets

Lets make a movie ourselves!

A silent movie with pipe organs narrating the juggernaut invasion of Capella!

Who is this community's Ed Wood? We need a director with no understanding of our limitations as film-makers.

Sorry about resurrecting this, but seeing the thread title made an old memory resurface.
Back when I was a wee lad, I saw a series called Space: Above and Beyond right after finishing the first playthrough of a vanilla Descent: Freespace. Long story short, I spent the next 10 years persuading everyone who would listen that the series was in fact a loose adaptation of the first Freespace game.
While I now realize it was part childhood imagination and part wishful thinking, I'd still recommend watching the series (It's just one season long) as if it was a Terran-Vasudan War retold by someone who only heard about it third hand.
Anyway, if just one person has fun with it, my mission was accomplished.