Author Topic: What to call the Terrans who live in the GTVA?  (Read 6746 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: What to call the Terrans who live in the GTVA?
Viewpoints matter....

I once, during an early campaign development some years back, thought it was a good idea to base a terminology from the Earth-viewpoint on "marooning" (the act of leaving some alone in the wilderness) but my wikipedia-serach turned up that "Maroon" is actually already a term for the people and their culture that were escaped african slaves in the Americas, so it is a "use with caution"-situation as I have no idea if this is a self-designation or a deregatory term (I never did that research as I simply scrapped that part of the story because it was no adding anything to the plot)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
That doesn't really make sense.

"Yeah, us Terrans are currently fighting those Earthers."
"Uh... aren't they also Terrans?"
"Of course not; they're not in the GTVA."
":wtf:"

That makes perfect sense. They're not Earthers; they're Earth's Terrans. Adjectival Terrans.

Spacenoids

Not while your soul is weighed down by gravity!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Negative,  I am a meat popsicle.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
That makes perfect sense.
I don't think our definitions of "sense" match up, then.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Terra is old speak for Earth/ground.  Terra firma -  solid earth
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline 0rph3u5

Terra is old speak for Earth/ground. Terra firma -  solid earth

It's Latin ... and it is "earth" (when you need no information on wheter it is soil or not) or simply "land"; in oposition to "mare" (= sea); "orbis terrarum" is the term for the World/Earth
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
My point being expressed here is earthers = terrans.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline 0rph3u5

My point being expressed here is earthers = terrans.

And your point is based on a false ethymology (not to mention that the "old speak"-comment betrayed a hint of anti-intelectulaism that is unbecoming in the information age IMO)...by the latin root of the term, "Terran" would be a "land-dweller"

The designation Terran or Terra Firma for the planet is from the Renissance/Enlightnment period, when Europeans rediscovered Astronomy as a science and translated greek and arabic works into Latin; because there was no proof that any one could ever reach the other observed planets, the dichtonomy of land-sea remained fixed in the world view, even as it expanded. As such the only know life-supporting planet became analogue to "land" as the only place of possible settlement and living.

By extension of the analogue, Terran would for a sci-fi setting work as a term for all planet-dwelling humans, heck even for all planet-dwelling lifeforms - not just for "humans from Earth".

==================

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Countless groups,  individuals,  works of fiction already use terran as an analogue collective to the human race, agreed. Don't assume my casual use of language in previous posts equates to a lack of intellectual capacity though. That's borderline tut tut tut.

I'm not engaging in any further discussion seeing as you appear to have a reciprocal view as myself ad others but are nitpicking.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Whatever name works for you, works for you. There is no one definitive name for the GTVA Terrans; I just wanted to know what different people thought.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline 0rph3u5

Don't assume my casual use of language in previous posts equates to a lack of intellectual capacity though.

Never said anything about you lacking intellectual capacity or ability, I said this:

(not to mention that the "old speak"-comment betrayed a hint of anti-intelectulaism that is unbecoming in the information age IMO)

I accused you of not finding out the that "terra" was a latin word, instead using to "old speak" which is imprecise. Considering that finding out the precise distinction (of which language it comes from) would have taken less than a few keystrokes (or picking up a dictonary), I can only assume that you did it on purpose.

Your response even confirms that, as you wrongly equated that me saying "using the term 'old speak' is anti-intellectual" with me supposidly saying "you are stupid". Anti-Intellecutalism is a mode of behaivior betraying distain for intellectuals, not the lack of capacity to be one.

(It may be noted, that I work in a field were the precision of language is paramount [e.g. I work for an Ethics Board], as much I am very sensitive to the proper use of terminology - doesn't improve my grammar and spelling though ;) )

Countless groups,  individuals,  works of fiction already use terran as an analogue collective to the human race, agreed.

This is the best of a common definition I could find: Earthling (Wikipedia)*
But I have yet to find an explicitly stated reasoning for chosing "Terran" over any other term. Considering its use in Science Fiction dates back to the 1950s when it was a pulp genre in most literal sense of the word, little I can find on the creative processes that lead to its use.
For that reason I defaulted back to the latin root of the world and cultural context that gave way to its present use - but as I pointed out, nothing there limites the term "Terrans" to humans, aside from the fact that anthropocentrism is still a cultural default to most.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:49:30 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

You're being really condescending about this for some reason; please stop. I don't even know what you're saying, except being really pedantic about the use of 'terra' to refer to Earth.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Calm down, it's not worth an internet fight over.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't think our definitions of "sense" match up, then.

Well, yes, but I suspect it's because you're not reading at this point. I offered a demonstration in the next sentence; if you have objection, make it instead of being merely snide.

I mean, I'm all for snide, but I try to actually explain why I feel it necessary usually.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:00:05 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I offered a demonstration in the next sentence; if you have objection, make it instead of being merely snide.
My objection is that it doesn't actually make sense, hence why I said our definitions of what that means obviously don't match up.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

Never said anything about you lacking intellectual capacity or ability, I said this:

(not to mention that the "old speak"-comment betrayed a hint of anti-intelectulaism that is unbecoming in the information age IMO)

I accused you of not finding out the that "terra" was a latin word, instead using to "old speak" which is imprecise. Considering that finding out the precise distinction (of which language it comes from) would have taken less than a few keystrokes (or picking up a dictonary), I can only assume that you did it on purpose.

oldspeak - "imprecise".

"I can only assume that you did it on purpose".

What the hell am I reading here.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Spring's almost over guys.  Time to turn down the testosterone drips. :p

I once saw a Marine bar fight that ended in a stabbing.

What caused it? A math problem :P

Offline qwadtep

I once saw a Marine bar fight that ended in a stabbing.

What caused it? A math problem :P
The equality of certain repeating decimals to the closest whole number is serious business  :D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
The only military math in bars is either,  my change is wrong,  or you plus my woman equals trouble.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.