Author Topic: Thinking about a Sync or Homesick style campaign starring the HoL  (Read 4066 times)

Thinking about a Sync or Homesick style campaign starring the HoL
So I've been thinking about making a campaign, and I'm thinking I kind of want to do a "single stranded capital ship + fighters" type thing. It's normally done with a corvette, but I'd rather use a destroyer, largely because AFAIK only destroyers have fighter bays, and the plot would require the fighters to be able to land and launch periodically.

The other element I'm considering is essentially gear progression. For whatever reason, I'm fond of that little burst of excitement when you get access to a new weapon or fighter, and I liked the occasional scavenging elements in Homesick, so why not make that a central mechanic?

So, there's the basic plot. You're a Hammer of Light destroyer, marooned in Shivan space for some reason, and in order to survive, you have to scavenge and develop new tech. By the end, you have your destroyer decked out with Shivan beams, a functioning shield system, torpedo launchers, and Maxim turrets, and you're flying stripped-down Shivan fighters.

Admittedly I might run into some lore problems with the HoL being willing to not only fight the Shivans, but also steal their technology. I think I can probably justify it though. Really, it could even be a boon -- they semi-worship the Shivans, after all. It wouldn't be a stretch for them to try grafting "divine" technology onto their own ships.

The reasons I want to use the Hammer of Light rather than a random GTVA ship, the NTF, or something, are that I'd prefer to use Vasudans, and also it's come to my attention that at least in the few campaigns I've played, the player never has a chance to assault an Arcadia installation. So I'm thinking that's the first mission. Also, my plan was to use a Typhon, and they're not really used much by the GTVA by the time of the Second Incursion, but I'm having second thoughts -- more on that later.

You're some post-Capella neo-HoL fanatics who have a destroyer for some reason, and you're attacking a GTVA station. The player flies a bomber, and you're only armed with rudimentary weapons. (I actually have a basic, horribly-balanced version of this mission up and running, and I was thinking of only allowing the player Prometheus Rs as standard damage-dealing primaries, but you'll be flying an Osiris, and they suck anyway, so pairing that with the worst gun in the game quickly proved to be a bad idea.)

You succeed. The installation is destroyed, along with its defenses, but reinforcements soon arrive. Some type of experimental GTVA capital ship -- probably a Hades destroyer -- jumps in, and as the HoL destroyer flees, the GTVA fire a massive torpedo into subspace after you. The next mission is just thirty seconds of futilely trying to intercept a meson warhead as it approaches the destroyer. Then it hits, big explosion, and you get sent halfway across the galaxy with a crippled Vasudan capital ship. You spend a few missions figuring out how to fix it, and the rest is history.

Now, I'm not sure if I want to use a Typhon or a Hatshepsut. The Typhon is cool, and underexposed, but it also has all of fifteen weapons emplacements. And since a major part of the campaign is giving the destroyer weapons that it isn't supposed to have, that doesn't leave me with a lot of wiggle room. However, the Hatshepsut, while it looks amazing, is just very...polished. And I feel like the Typhon would be a better fit for something that's going to be cobbled together with duct tape and Shivan spit by the end of the campaign. Of course, a Hecate would probably work best -- they're carrier-focused, after all, and their shape sort of downplays just how big they are.

Yeah, so that's the trouble with using a destroyer -- it kind of messes up the...intimacy? The atmosphere that being stranded in space creates. I mean, sure, you're cut off from support, but there are ten thousand people with you. You literally have enough people to create a genetically stable population. (I think.) Just to put it in perspective, not that that would be a better option than going home. Of course, there are a ton of people on a corvette, too, but it doesn't feel like it, because size feels off in FS. I mean, a Fenris-class cruiser is freaking huge, but you wouldn't know it until you stop and park up next to it, and compare your cockpit to the windows in third person. But destroyers are big enough that you sort of start to realize that holy crap, this thing is the size of a small city. I mean, the amount of interior space there must be in an Orion. Good grief.

But, I want to use Vasudans, so no Hecate for me. Basically, this is a really long-winded way of asking whether you guys think I should use a Hatshepsut or a Typhon for Star Trek Voyager, but IN FREESPACE! And hopefully not crap.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:33:59 pm by Kestrellius »

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Re: Thinking about a Sync or Homesick style campaign starring the HoL
Typhon all the way. You could say it was mothballed before the HoL captured it, making it more plausible that it could be taken in good condition and providing a good reason to raid the Arcadia (to obtain weapons and stuff).

It being more vulnerable to fighter attack than the Hatshepsut is a good thing for being able to make well balanced missions with less fuss IMO. Plus, it looks super cool and hardly gets used.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Sounds dope. I think you should truncate your setup as much as possible. 'HoL destroyer lost in Shivan space' is the story here. Don't waste time getting there!

You could get a lot of mileage out of conflicts within the crew about whether to resist the Shivans. There'd probably be a range of beliefs and eschatologies, from 'we should die joyfully' to 'we need to resist the Destroyers to prove our worth in the greater purpose' to '**** this'.

Use a Typhon. Start designing with the stock model. As you work hopefully you can get someone to up gun it for you.

Ah. Excellent. Thanks, guys. Looks like a Typhon is the way to go.

Yeah I was kind of thinking that something along the lines of "they're testing us; we should fight back" would be the prevailing thought process among those who wanted to resist.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Harold and Kumar get loaded, are lured to a christian mingle dating group thing, get shanghaied by ISIS, highjack the USS Enterprise, and sail it into the Bermuda triangle. Guest starring Bosch!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
A key aspect of cult psychology is the deadline, countdown, or ritual that will bring about the eschaton. 'We have to lead the Shivans to GTVA space' could be one powerful motivation.

An interesting kicker is that when the conditions of the eschaton are satisfied, but the eschaton fails to materialize, cult members actually solidify their allegiance and double down. Cult leaders can spin the event as a failure (we need to be more pure and try harder!) or as a preliminary victory.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Great Disappointment as a case study.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

To be honest, I feel like it would be more in the spirit of Freespace (and cosmic horror in general) to have the HoL actually turn out to be right. Be a decent twist too, really. You're playing along, with all these deluded characters, who think the Shivans are just testing them and will reward them for their faithfulness, and then the Shivans just sort of come up and hail you, and they're like "hey guys, want to go kill some humans with us?"

Then again, I have an unhealthy fondness for The Extremist Was Right/semi-friendly Eldritch Abomination type plots, so.

That's a very good idea about trying to give the Shivans an opening. That would definitely work as a more interesting overarching objective than just "get home", especially since just returning would probably get them all killed, considering their allegiance.

Ooh. What if the stranding was intentional? That would save me having to come up with a plausible spacey-wacey accident to do it.

Also been thinking about some things to add for additional content. I mean, "zomg we're in the middle of nowhere with Shivans trying to kill us" will only get you so far, in terms of gameplay. There has to be something there, or it'll just get monotonous. The obvious idea is a new alien race, but I don't really have the assets to do that. (That is kind of a problem with the FS universe -- it's very small. You have two friendly races, who are basically just the same thing at this point, and a completely incomprehensible alien race. You don't have much wiggle room for exploration plots.) Maybe some Ancient space-ruins? Wonder if the ASW team (or whoever) would let me use those assets... I'm getting ahead of myself, though, as my FREDding is still crap.

My other idea was some sort of parallel to the HoL's position. An Orion-class that was stranded in the same area of space sometime during the TVW, and wound up settling down. That'd be an interesting dynamic because you'd have a bunch of people who still thought of Vasudans as the enemy, and had no idea the Shivans even existed. (They'd still be nearby, but had never attacked or encountered this colony.)

On a semi-unrelated note, there's a theory-ish thing I've been bouncing around. I wouldn't want to see the actual games go in this direction, but it'd work for a side-story. See, I'm not a fan of the Shivans-as-people-trying-to-stop-collapse-of-subspace theory. (It also baffles me why so many people wish that its equivalent had been used for the Mass Effect ending. I mean, sure, what we got was crap, but "dark energy is killing stars" could have been so, so much worse.) I don't like it because a: it's awfully straightforward, and just not compelling, and b: it really limits your options for concluding the story, because you don't actually have a villain. I mean, you're pretty much locked into a downer ending, because either everybody dies to preserve subspace, or the Shivans are defeated, and subpsace collapses.

But I'd thought of a little wrinkle to make it a bit more interesting, which is simply that the Shivans are us from the future. It doesn't really fix the second problem, but it still works as a compelling reveal in a way that the basic explanation just doesn't. Eh, I don't know.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't think anybody really likes the 'Shivans are subspace environmentalists' theory. It was bad when Trek did it, would've been bad if Mass Effect did it, and is not a satisfying motivation for the Shivans.

If you like a huge amount of crunchy bat**** weird theories about everything in FS you should play BP, I'd love to see your analysis.

I really want to play BP -- I like the direction it took gameplay design; the Balor is pretty much everything I'd want in a primary -- but for some reason the installer didn't give me AoA, along with a bunch of other mods it was supposed to install. So I'll need to sort that out.

I actually have a very elaborate theory (less a theory than a continuation fic) of my own, but I'm hesitant to discuss it here. It relies heavily on WTF moments, and if I ever make a campaign out of it -- or, better yet, my pipe dream of buying the rights to the franchise becomes reality -- I don't want spoilers to be freely available on a forum post somewhere. I would be more than happy to PM you about it though.

So would you be okay with me PMing you my ideas? I would love to talk to someone about it.

NGTM-1R: That actually sounds really cool.

Re: Of motivations and Shivans
what just happened

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I just split the two discussions, approximately.  Let me know if you think one or more posts should be moved into the adjacent thread.