Author Topic: Hammer of Light  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Snarks

I'm a little puzzled about the extent of the Hammer of the Light's capabilities. We know they constitute a sizable part of the PVN, taking a large number of warships, possibly even up to 20% of the PVN if we're feeling generous. Any amount higher would seem closer to a civil war than a fanatical, paramilitary cult. Their closest comparison would seem to be the NTF, but unlike the NTF, the HoL didn't seem to control any planets. Some oddities include their ability to acquire shield technology really quickly, their ability to defeat the Vasudan fleet at Vega, and an apparent ability to maintain logistics despite seemingly having no planets. Am I missing something, or is the HoL just a little underwritten? Any organizations in real life that would be comparable? A custom campaign that explores more about the HoL? Perhaps the HoL is closer to the GTI rebellion than the NTF? My biggest gripe is that they seem to be closer to an actual state with an industrial base than a bunch of fanatics taking off with warships. You'd think there would a lot of mutinies and internal conflict on ships seeking to defect.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Yes, the Hammer of Light is a bit scarce on canon details; we don't even know that there wasn't an NTF-esque civil war. Basically all we know outside of the FS1 campaign, which tells us very little, is Operation Templar, which tells us that the HoL has/had access to destroyer-sized vessels and "outposts", at least one of which was based on a station. All in all, not much.

A custom campaign that explores more about the HoL?
Without spoiling anything, the Hammer of Light comes up in Blue Planet.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I always found it best not to think of the HoL as a monolithic block... not only as the FS2 tech entry also suggests (It divides the HoL up into a religious and military branch), but also chronologically. While the few canon sources on the HoL we have suggest they have a "strong following among the PVN" (FS2 species.tbl), I would suggest not think of that as straight divide through the PVN with constant figures. There are at least three major events in FS1 which could have done a significant deal for the HoL-cause and given them stepwise the capabilities they have in later missions.

- The HoL first appears in "The Hammer and the Anvil" (FS1's sm1-08a.fs2) with only a few fighters and they are more a guerillia force using the confusion of which Vasudans are friendlies now. "The Darkness and the Light" (FS1's sm1-09a.fs2) does add to that with picturing the HoL forces as guerillia fighters with only a single cruiser as their centre of operations. (Note: this is the Beta Cygni HoL, so far away from central Vasudan systems)

- In "The Aftermath" (FS1's sm2-01a.fs2), the Lucifer is first introduced in its indestructable glory. That the ledgend of an "all-powerful" enemy is proven true might have turned more to the HoL.

-"La Ruota della Fortuna" (FS1's sm2-03a.fs2) states that "The Hammer of Light has decimated the Vasudan fleet at Vega." (where they had been gathering before). While 'to decimate' implies destruction, the how is up for interpretation - it may also mean some kind of mass defection. This shows the HoL as sizeable threat, instead of just some guerillia fighters.

- "Exodus" (FS1's sm3-01a.fs2) deals with the destruction of Vasuda Prime by the Lucifer. This is maybe the greatest pro-HoL push-factor the story gives - the literal end of their world as happened to the Vasudans which might have turned a lot of them to a doomsday movement.
(It is never made clear if Vasuda Prime was still the primary cultural reference point for the Vasudans, or still the centre of their galactic population, so take it with some seasoning. But on the other hand, the bombardment of Vasuda Prime is the first and only reference to planetary attack by the Shivans and that right at the origin at the Vasudan species, might be a pretty big symbol)

Through all these events the HoL might have build up its forces instead of arriving fully formed as X% of the PVN's strenght. Also we don't know how much of the HoL "silently snuck back into the PVN's camp" when the Lucifer was destroyed. FS2's tech room only suggests that to the die-hard anti-terrans it was a fight to the death and that the religious side of movement changed gears and became more obessed with their texts.

As for their supply base, FS1 does put an emphasis on the existance of the container depots as supply source - instead of convoys as FS2 does. This means that it is not neccessary to have an industrial base to wage war for a time, as supply depots already exist which can be raided and approriated. As the Great War actually does not last very long (like 3 months), it is quite unclear if the HoL had an economic support structure that it needed for an prolonged conflict. The FS1 tech entry for the Toth however suggests that they at least ccontrolled the ship yards in Altair, which gave them ship building capabilites.

Of course there is another problem with estimating the relative fighting strengh of the HoL - the absolute fighting strengh of neither faction in the Terran Vasudan war is never canoncially stated.

A custom campaign that explores more about the HoL?

"Shrouding the Light" by Blaisse Russel
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:01:27 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If you want more Hammer of Light, go play Shrouding The Light.

In fact, go play Shrouding The Light anyways. It's worth your time.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

...the HoL didn't seem to control any planets....

According to the FreeSpace Wiki (which references the FreeSpace Reference Bible), the HoL was based on Altair V. Given, this is from the FreeSpace Bible, which is somewhat sketchy at best (not to mention that Altair V is one planet over from the "uncharted" Altair IV), but it is what it is.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's one of the great things about the HoL in canon. You can easily work them to fit whatever role your story requires. I mean... if you care about such things as sticking to canon. In fact, that's one of the great things about FS-Verse as it is. There are a lot of tidbits that got a quick mention leaving all of the creatives in the community to write and create interesting stories and campaigns!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
I know this is a little off-topic; but I can't believe I never caught the shout-out to Forbidden Planet in that.  Altair IV and the ruins of an ancient civilization...
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Decimate translates as "removal of a tenth."  It originates as a Roman Military punishment in which every tenth man in the unit in question was to be beaten to death by his comrades as drawn by lot.  It typically was used to punish a large group of soldiers for a severe infraction without overly depleting its overall combat effectiveness.  It gets incorrectly used in modern times as a synonym for utter annihilation, but really infers 10% losses.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

If people widely understand it to mean 'utter annihilation' then that's what it means.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.