Author Topic: How do you think Admiral Petrarch will be remembered?  (Read 9215 times)

Offline CT27

How do you think Admiral Petrarch will be remembered?
How do you think Admiral Petrarch will be remembered by the GTVA and what kind of legacy will he leave behind?  Will the soldiers of the Aquitaine miss him?

During FS2, I remember pilots would sometimes critique command as a whole, but not Admiral Petrarch specifically.  So, I'm guessing Aquitaine's people didn't mind him as CO.

Offline Darius

Re: How do you think Admiral Petrarch will be remembered?
Petrarch's monologue in the ending cutscene suggests he has some degree of oratory skill with an ability to express empathy to those in straits. An educated and sober-headed man.

I'd  imagine he'd be quite popular to officers and crew in his fleet.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
He's not only a thoughtful and well spoken man, as shown by the ending monologues, but the fleet under his command participated in some of the most important actions in the second Shivan incursion. Given the often overwhelming odds, I could see the GTVA giving him some sort of recognition for his service.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline qwadtep

His skill strategic innovation in using the Hecate as a rearline carrier in support of other assets was rivaled only by his tactical innovation of losing to Molochs.

Offline Darius

Blame Petrarch for letting the Moloch get close to the Aquitaine, but blame the ship's CO for her anaemic performance against the corvette.

Offline Kie99

Anyone with Alpha One under their command would be remembered well barring something extraordinary.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Now that I think about it how did those Molochs jump in so close to the node?
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
And why couldn't the GTVA be bothered to have a solitary cruiser, or reserve squadron to defend their fragile command ship before it was disabled?And in the same breath they send an Aeolus to defend the transport carrying the parts to fix said destroyed. We will never know.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
His skill strategic innovation in using the Hecate as a rearline carrier in support of other assets was rivaled only by his tactical innovation of losing to Molochs.

You work with what you have, and that was more down to the Hecate being a problematic design in subspace war.

Petrarch will be remembered as the Second Shivan Incursion's essential man. He was there at every critical juncture and it was his people who made whatever victories the GTVA salvaged possible.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline CT27

Think he'll get a destroyer named after him eventually?

Offline Kie99

Probably not, there's no real precedent for naming destroyers after people in-universe, is there?  The Eisenhower is the only one AFAIK and that went up years before FS1.

Offline qwadtep

Probably not, there's no real precedent for naming destroyers after people in-universe, is there?  The Eisenhower is the only one AFAIK and that went up years before FS1.
Not canonically, I don't think. There are a couple named after historical figures, notably science vessels like the Einstein, but by and large they're either mythological figures or historical ships (Eisenhower, etc.)

BP has the Marcus Glaive, though, so maybe in that continuity.

Offline Kie99

Not canonically, I don't think. There are a couple named after historical figures, notably science vessels like the Einstein, but by and large they're either mythological figures or historical ships (Eisenhower, etc.)

BP has the Marcus Glaive, though, so maybe in that continuity.

Fair point, come to think of it the medical ships are also named after important figures in the history of medicine, and there's the Boadicea, although that's never named in game.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I know, introduce a Galactic Terran destroyer Petrarch in mods!
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
HELL!  I think Petrarch deserves an entire destroyer CLASS named after him.  Something like the next generation Orion class that can hit hard, take a beating, and still command an entire theatre of flight OPS and warships.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
Yes, and it will be filled with Vasudan design features. Or Shivan? Or Ancient?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline CT27

HELL!  I think Petrarch deserves an entire destroyer CLASS named after him.  Something like the next generation Orion class that can hit hard, take a beating, and still command an entire theatre of flight OPS and warships.

How about if the fanmade Icelus class ever got made in FS canon...naming that after Petrarch?  It's supposed to be a better Hecate.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Could be one of the candidates. And it will appear in either Blue Planet, Inferno or FreeSpace: Reunited (after Shattered Stars is done with).

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

How about if the fanmade Icelus class ever got made in FS canon...naming that after Petrarch?  It's supposed to be a better Hecate.
Doesn't feel hard-hitting enough for my tastes.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline CT27

Doesn't feel hard-hitting enough for my tastes.

Are there any fanmade destroyers then that worthy of the title "Petrarch class"?