Author Topic: Best video recording software?  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Best video recording software?
As title says. I'm looking for something good to record some ingame footages. Fraps actually sucks as it left a watermark, and a trail version won't let me record long videos. I checked Overwolf too, but it's not supporting Freespace.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Best video recording software?
I used XFire's builtin recording software for recording FS back when I did it. Worked pretty well but the filesizes are huge (uncompresed?) and need to be processed in video editing software and encoded I think?
Worked well enough for fiilming short segments for cutscenes, but might not be ideal for let's play type full videos.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

OBS (https://obsproject.com/) can be used to record to a file in addition to live streaming. Just takes a bit to set it up.

Offline majorvader111

• Don't Puckle With Shuckles
If you have a nvidia graphics card you can use shadowplay
STRAYA... Home of Death, Trash Internet & The Police State Downunder.

Not an option then. He uses radeon :P

Offline majorvader111

• Don't Puckle With Shuckles

Not an option then. He uses radeon :P

hmmmmm well then i would not have a idea for a good free one. You might have to use OBS like Zero Said, it takes abit to set up but its the best free one
STRAYA... Home of Death, Trash Internet & The Police State Downunder.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
OBS is pretty handy for recording as well as streaming
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OBS (https://obsproject.com/) can be used to record to a file in addition to live streaming. Just takes a bit to set it up.

OBS is pretty handy for recording as well as streaming

+1 for OBS and hooray for cross platform support. I found the defaults worked fine (although I should say that I can't record smooth 1080p, possibly due to a weak-ish CPU?)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
OBS is an excellent piece of software, though make sure your quality settings are altered depending on if you are streaming or actually recording. If you leave the quality as default, the recorded footage will be very low quality, though this is easily fixed. OBS is also more resource intensive than other recording software, especially if you aren't using NVEC or the Intel codec to record footage.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
OBS is cool. Thank you guys :D

Edit: How to adjust proper video quality? No matter what i'm doing, I have very low quality and framerate of my video.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:31:20 pm by Betrayal »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

OBS is cool. Thank you guys :D

Edit: How to adjust proper video quality? No matter what i'm doing, I have very low quality and framerate of my video.

Generally speaking bitrate (found under Settings / Encoding) has the largest effect on video quality. You can try doubling it and the resulting video should look better, but of course this will also increase the file size.

Here's a guide from their site that might help: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-make-high-quality-local-recordings.16/

Use MSI Afterburner with the MagicYUV or UTVideo Codec :).

Lossless recording, hooray.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele