Author Topic: MediaVPs 2014 vs MediaVPs 3.6.12  (Read 3885 times)

MediaVPs 2014 vs MediaVPs 3.6.12
Can anybody tell me the difference between MediaVPs 2014 and MediaVPs 3.6.12?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: MediaVPs 2014 vs MediaVPs 3.6.12
One is a newer version than the other.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

which one?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
2014 is newer
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

thanks

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Have we seen enough content to justify a MediaVP 2017 release? It's probably good practice to try to keep the year numbers as close to current as possible to minimise this sort of confusion.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline CT27

Have we seen enough content to justify a MediaVP 2017 release? It's probably good practice to try to keep the year numbers as close to current as possible to minimise this sort of confusion.

If there is a new set of VPs released and the new models are put in, would we be able to remove those 'side thrusters' from the new Apollo and Leviathan?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There's not a whole lot of new stuff. Apollo, Levi and the zod gas miner, iirc.

I was kind of holding off on a new MediaVPs release until after the next stable SCP build so we can focus on PBR textures. Which is kind of the problem right now. I really, really don't want to release an official MediaVPs version that requires an unstable SCP version. My opinion is that it would be best to wait until 3.7.6 or 3.8 or whatever they are calling the next official build that will  finalize PBR, SDL, ffmpeg, etc.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam

If there is a new set of VPs released and the new models are put in, would we be able to remove those 'side thrusters' from the new Apollo and Leviathan?

Yes, RCSreaction control system, AKA "side thrusters" effects are done by a table entry in the ship .tbm/.tbl and some stuff from in an effects folder.

Just take the model file and textures and dump it in.

and because they are done in the ship table, you could add them to all the older ships too if you desired.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:58:51 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think CT27 want's then GONE, not proliferating :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CT27

Correct.  I was wondering how does one get rid of them?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
In summary (as I don't have time to type out the details atim) you modify the tbm provided in the download and delete all the entries relating to the RCS thrusters.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Or you could just take the take the model file and textures from the download and dump it in without the tbm, (it works with the Apollo) As I suggested in my post.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I was pretty sure the POF name changed though...
----
----

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I was pretty sure the POF name changed though...
You sure you aren't thinking of the extra models for the variants? Pretty certain the base fighter had the same filename as always.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
doh, I was only thinking of the Levi, I haven't cracked open the Apollo to check it
----
----