Author Topic: Colors!  (Read 9460 times)

Offline Dain

Marvellous, the Y-wing really is a lovely ship.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Take a look

It's in a book

A Rebel Rainbow!
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dain

Thought, Diaspora had random pilot textures:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=76700.0

Can the same thing be done for astromechs?

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Thought, Diaspora had random pilot textures:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=76700.0

Can the same thing be done for astromechs?

Yes - we have our models set up so the droid is a separate texture and we've got several to choose from.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Z-95!  Original Red:

Colors:

Yellow is surprisingly hard to get right.  I'll keep working on it.

Brand-X also provided an alternate green texture for this ship:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If you're already separating the colours out into their own layer, I think you're super close to implementing textures that'll work with the current FSO team colours implementation. AFAIK, for the current team colours you just need the colour-changing parts of the texture in different channels in the -misc texture? Red channel for base colour, green channel for stripe? For what you've done so far, with the exception of the red dot on the B-wing you'd only need the red channel configured.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Texturing#TextureName-misc-xxx

Having said that, I really like what you've done so far with all the textures  :yes:

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
If you're already separating the colours out into their own layer, I think you're super close to implementing textures that'll work with the current FSO team colours implementation. AFAIK, for the current team colours you just need the colour-changing parts of the texture in different channels in the -misc texture? Red channel for base colour, green channel for stripe? For what you've done so far, with the exception of the red dot on the B-wing you'd only need the red channel configured.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Texturing#TextureName-misc-xxx

Having said that, I really like what you've done so far with all the textures  :yes:
Thanks, I appreciate the support.  And yes, that's part of my reasoning for doing this method.  The end results from doing the recoloring first looks better, but until we can use texture replacements for team colors, that can serve as a placeholder.  Plus, it will work for additional team colors that I have no intention of pre-rendering.  At some point I'll convert these to team color format and make the appropriate tbl entries for them.

Some of the colors turned out a bit too bright here

I take it your not working from the original layered source file.
Are you editing .tgas or .dds files?

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Some of the colors turned out a bit too bright here

I take it your not working from the original layered source file.
Are you editing .tgas or .dds files?

Correct.  Brand-X made them originally, and I don't believe we still have those anywhere.  I'm working off of the dds files.  If I had his original files, this whole process would be far easier.

I'm working off of the dds files.  If I had his original files, this whole process would be far easier.

Zookeeper did the conversions so maybe he still has the .TGA files you can use instead.
.DDS is already compressed so each time you resave the file the quality is being degraded.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
For brand's stuff we had psd files at one point, not tga, as he loved him some photoshop.  I would be surprised if we don't have them somewhere still, they were on the ftp I thought.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
For brand's stuff we had psd files at one point, not tga, as he loved him some photoshop.  I would be surprised if we don't have them somewhere still, they were on the ftp I thought.

Well...thank you for pointing out that I've been making this WAY more difficult on myself than I needed to.  I thought we didn't have them anymore but turns out we do!  Let's see what I can do with these...shoot I may have to buy a copy of photoshop now.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
sorry you were working so fast I thought you had them already or I would have spoke up sooner :p
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
sorry you were working so fast I thought you had them already or I would have spoke up sooner :p

I'm just that good!

Also, Adobe moved to a cloud subscription model for photoshop?!?  Yeah screw that.  I'll find another way.

.PSD is the photoshop source file I spoke of.
.TGA are exported from photoshop but flattened without working layers and have a smaller file size.

If you have the .PSD I can open them and change the color layer to match what Buggula did.
Or he can go find himself a copy of Photoshop.

Offline Crashdown117

• You can't take the sky from me
    • Steam

I remember that some years ago Adobe made the old CS2 version of Photoshop (and those of other programs as well) available for free download due to the validation servers being shut down, support ending or something like that. They had the installers for quite a couple different programs as well as serial keys for them, but I don't have the link anymore and I can't seem to dig the website up on Google. They may be rather old versions, but if Google (or Bing or whatever you use) doesn't fail you like it did to me, they may be just what you need.
"Flying is easy, landing is hard" - Delta-07

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

I remember that some years ago Adobe made the old CS2 version of Photoshop (and those of other programs as well) available for free download due to the validation servers being shut down, support ending or something like that. They had the installers for quite a couple different programs as well as serial keys for them, but I don't have the link anymore and I can't seem to dig the website up on Google. They may be rather old versions, but if Google (or Bing or whatever you use) doesn't fail you like it did to me, they may be just what you need.
Yep, I think I have a solution, working on getting it set up.  If I was able to do this with crappy sources to work from, imagine what I'll be able to pull off with the original thing!  I'm actually really excited, even if it means recreating some work.

Offline Dain

I have an old copy of PS. My offer to help out on some retextures for variety still stands! I have some ideas for some more scummy/neutral Y-wings/Z-95s.

I have some ideas for some more scummy/neutral Y-wings/Z-95s.

Not sure what you mean by 'scummy', but neutral Y-wings and Z-95s without markings sounds like a good idea for pirate craft.

Offline Dain

Sorry, as in a wretched hive of scum and villainy :P So yes, pirates and suchlike.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:07:32 am by Dain »