Author Topic: Universal Nonsense (Sphoileh's ahoy!)  (Read 3139 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Universal Nonsense (Sphoileh's ahoy!)
I just had a random though: What if what Noemi and Sam hear during that part of UT is different because they are hearing conversations from different realities?

Ex: Uni-A has the WIH one; Uni-B has the AoA one.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
Re: Universal Nonsense (Sphoileh's ahoy!)
That's a can of worms.  If the Shivans and Vishnans are truly multiversal beings then this could indicate the first signs of a schism between factions within their respective hierarchies.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
...Yeah, I don't think so.  The narrative that the Vishnans have given up on their human experiment is significantly cheapened by the idea that only *some* of this unified hierarchy of multi-dimentional manipulators of space is in on the memo to not help humans.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Or that they recieved different messages is a indicator that the communication between Humans and Shivans and/or Vishnans is not as clear as either thinks it is - that the aliens messages within the heads of the protagonists are interpreted differently because they are not explict enought to stand without interpretation

Sam and Neomi making something different out of the same message might also be a statement on how different the two of them are and how different their relationship with the "outside forces" is, in spite of some similarities (LaPorte's "guidance" by Ken is in part more explict and of a very different qualitiy than Sam's guidance by the Vishnans)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:33:54 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline qwadtep

Nagari has to be translated by the receiver's psyche. Sam is high on Vishnans, so his brain interprets things in a way that favors the Vishnans. Laporte is much more neutral and gets an unbiased look at the encounter.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Laporte is much more neutral and gets an unbiased look at the encounter.
I'm not sure "neutral" is even close to an accurate description of Noemi.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Laporte is much more neutral and gets an unbiased look at the encounter.

She is far from being unbiased ... even if you discount Ken as a figment of her deranged imagination (and not as an acutal person manipulating her from childhood onwards), you have to appriciate the impact the GTVA invasion of Sol had on her psyche and state of mind; to condem the Vishnans for interfereing with the UEF leaders but in a manner that impedes the war effort from her point of view, has a certain kind of logic
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Nothing is true.

Offline Nyarly

• Generic basement-dweller
Everything is permitted.

Do not taunt Magic Boulder.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
One Future.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Her Finest Hour.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Well I wouldn't say Lappy is unbiased, more like high on Shivs...

Also, C-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!

Offline leoben

I guess she's high on a fusion of Shivan+Bosch? Sam believes that the Vishnans are judging humanity and that humanity is failing that test. Ken says the exact same thing, so far so good.

But I still don't understand something. AoA ends with a massive showdown between the Vs and Ss. The Shivans want to eradicate humanity, as they're not worthy. Vs say no, we want them to succeed. But 18 months later, they suddenly change their mind? Like they were surprised that Bei didn't manage to persuade the GTVA to adopt the buntu way? How did that celestial conversation go?

- Yo Shiva
- don't talk to me *****, you pissed me off
- yo dawg, don't be like that man, I think you're right culling them sons o' *****es.
- Aha rly?
- ye, I want you to go in there and tear'm a new one.

At which point the Bosch entity came in and said:

- yo shiva, don't do dat.
- not fckin around anymore Kenny, humanity is goin' DOWN
- nonono wait, got a business proposition for ya
- I'm listening...

and then what?

Regardless of the stupid way i portrayed whatever happened between the Vs and Ss (sorry for that), I'd like to think that the writers are giving these almost omnipotent entities a bit more credit.

What if...the reason for no contact between humanity and the Vs is because Ken found a way to isolate them. 'destroy the GTVA'. He didn't say defeat. He said destroy. That sounds an awful lot like the old Bosch, not like a savior of mankind. Whichever way I look at it, destroying the GTVA is not saving mankind. I think Ken is trying to gear up Noemi to fight an enemy to the bitter end that shouldn't be fought. Or at least, for the wrong reasons.

If that's true, what's his endgame?

It comes down to: how much of what we've seen in UT is manipulated vs actual reality and truth. To what end is Noemi being manipulated? Believing that only Bei is manipulated here and not Noemi is being childishly naive.

Thoughts?

Offline -Norbert-

Well.... destroying the GTVA might very well be for the good of mankind in his eyes.

If he believes that the GTVA is corrupted beyond redemption, he might be willing to sacrifice them to save the rest of mankind.

But since he told Neomi to choose one side and destroy the other, I don't think he really wanted her to destroy the GTVA specifically. Unless that seeming choice was really a test to see if she would make a choice that would save mankind, or one that would destroy it.

The problem is knowing which one will save and which one will destroy mankind.

Or could it even be a double bind? Could the ancients through Ken make it appear as if one side had to be destroyed for some of mankind to survive, but it's all just a ruse, another test? Could the truth be that if one side - no matter which one - is defeated, we have proofen ourselfs beyond redemption and will be wiped out and the only way to avoid extinction is once again finding a way to coexist, just like back in the great war?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Could the ancients through Ken
When did the Ancients come into this?

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so