Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3028348 times)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Re: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.
It's very interesting. The place where I work has had an open position for the past two months. It has pretty good pay, excellent benefits and retirement and almost unmatched job security and it's located in a growing area.

Despite all this it has generated little interest.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
So I came across a gem of an opinion today

The use of the term "dark" to denote the unsavory, evil and unsafe is, in itself, racist.  I swear, the amount of ignorance on things like this is staggering. You can't wrap your mind around it because it isn't happening to you. Let it have been people of color that shaped the early lay of modern civilization and affiliated "Light" with that which is unsavory, evil. unsafe and see how you would feel about the argument then. I do not believe it to be so outlandish, considering the history of this nation, to perceive it in that manner.

He said it unironically. I can't tell if he's serious or a troll. I want to say troll, but I have no idea anymore... specially given where I came across it
"No"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
By making it about skin tone they themselves have made it racist. Dark is not relegated to skin tone, it is about the absence of light.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Not to mention Dark in video games usually has the allusion of "cool with a tendency towards edgy". And the Dark Templar or Joanna Dark sure aren't bad guys.

Not to mention that christian mythology surrounding dark and light (and indeed, many other mythologies) predates the atlantic slave trade by a rather significant margin.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Tis the eve of Anime Boston; three days of panels,  lines, fine dining and avoiding the nerd slime coating exposed surfaces.

Hopefully I make it out the other side!
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It's very interesting. The place where I work has had an open position for the past two months. It has pretty good pay, excellent benefits and retirement and almost unmatched job security and it's located in a growing area.

On the flip side, I've been looking for a new job and have come across companies that have posted open positions and apparently interviewed people for years without actually hiring anyone. It's typically either to fill some HR quota (if it's a big place), or to interview people from competing companies just to try and find out what they are doing.

Offline WeatherOp

On the flip side, I've been looking for a new job and have come across companies that have posted open positions and apparently interviewed people for years without actually hiring anyone. It's typically either to fill some HR quota (if it's a big place), or to interview people from competing companies just to try and find out what they are doing.

I was interviewed like that at one point. They didn't have an open position yet interviewed me anyways to get information on what we were doing because it directly effected them.

So a few weeks ago I was taking the trash out to the can for our building, and I saw a vacuum cleaner in it. It looked like it was in good condition, so I pulled it out and took it home; plugged in, works fine.

I opened it up and noticed that the bag was full, and needed to be changed. Today, I finally got replacement vacuum bags and discovered why it had been tossed: Not only was the bag full, there were dust/hair clumps backed up in the tube that feeds the bag, and more clumps built up in the head where it meets the suction hose.

So what I infer is: whoever owned this vacuum before, never ever changed the bag, and got confused when it started to lose suction, so they threw it out and got a new one. Because they have no idea how much junk is on the average carpet, or else they never owned a bag vacuum and were unfamiliar with the concept.

tl;dr I rescued a vacuum cleaner out of the trash, it was completely clogged with dust. I cleaned it and now it works great.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I was repairing my Kirby G4 today.  :)  I replaced the "mini emptor" - the plastic housing that connects to the main body and the hose leading to the bag.  I think the old one got stepped on; I cant figure out how else it broke.  The only other major work i have done on it was replacing the impeller once.  I still regret how much i paid for the vacuum, but at least it has lasted for over 20 years.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Tis the eve of Anime Boston; three days of panels,  lines, fine dining and avoiding the nerd slime coating exposed surfaces.

Hopefully I make it out the other side!

I must admit AB was actually pretty good this year, its not usually my favorite scene but the Lady likes going so I dutifully tag along.  They booked a lot of great guests from Japan and I was able to sit in on QA sessions with Masahiko Minami (Producer/Founder of  BONES INC.), Shingo Natsume (Director
of Space Dandy, OPM and ACCA-13), Wakana Okamura (Producer My Hero Academia, Psycho Pass) and Toru Furuya (Voice Actor of Amuro Ray and a 20 page list of other things).  They actually had such a robust schedule of professional content you had to pick and choose your panels carefully.  This had the side benefit of keeping the halls from turning into a gross people sausage which coupled with a better security check in made it a lot easier to get around.  Overall this was probably one of the better ones I've been to. 

We also setup reservations at a lot of great eateries this year including Max Brenner, Solas Irish Pub, Post 390 and Salty Pig.  I'd recommend any of them, Post 390 was an especially great farm to table/fine dining experience.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Woo, avatars.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Hrm... wut shall I scar you guys with for a avatar?

Needs moar chicken!
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I feel like I'm not far from ragequitting my job and burning any and all bridges there to the ****ing ground.  I'm goddamn tired of getting constantly **** on because I'm the only one left not willing to **** over everyone else to get the best deal for myself.  I'm sick of covering for the laziness of my coworkers and then talked to like I'm the one in the wrong for even attempting to hold up the standards and expectations of our job. 

There was a pretty major ****up recently.  Two people did something pretty severely wrong admin wise, knowing it was wrong as they were doing it.  Then at least one of them further failed to control what was going on (literally his job to direct what was happening) and resulted in a violation of a limit and a WHOLE lot of headache.  As a result, some of us end up going to 12's to cover all the extra supervision that is now required as 'corrective actions'.  The first guy that ****ed up not only isn't on 12's, but he's not even showing up to the project.  Slinking back to his 'training' job (bull**** in the first place).  The second guy is on 12s with me, but basically refusing to take the watch.  End result is my ass is the only one down there doing my goddamn job and making sure **** doesn't get even more ****ed up.  Meanwhile the guy who put us here by doing the dumbest thing by FAR that has ever been done in my time here is my 'supervisor' and sits up in the office for his whole 12 hour shift watching ****ing youtube. 

BTW, I'm senior to this guy anyway.  Due to manning deficiencies and the way the shift schedules fell, he started being de-facto 'supervisior' about 6 months before me and has basically refused to stand watch ever since.  So I was already pissed off about that.  Then he causes this really, really big ****up, and he's STILL allowed to skate by not doing anything.  I'm the most senior person left, and have never had a significant break from watch in the entire time I've been qualified because everyone else who has been qualified for at least six months has thrown a fit about how it's not fair they have to do their goddamn job and successfully lobbied for special treatment.  I've stood an entire year's worth more watch than the next closest and still get treated like the whipping boy because I am willing to ****ing do the job I was hired and qualified for.  And I do it right to the best of my ability.  The VERY few times I've called bull**** on this whole mess, they get all *****ed up at me and act like I'm the problem for daring to get upset about getting stabbed in the face all the time, or expecting anyone else to do their job maintaining a goddamn NUCLEAR REACTOR properly.

**** these assholes.  **** this place.  And **** the government bureaucracy that enables it.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Man it's so reassuring to know the well-oiled command structures that stand between potential reactor damage and the public.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
It's not the public's health and safety that is at risk, it's their tax dollars.  There's like 87 levels of sailor-proofing built into this.  We go full retard on the knee-jerk "corrective actions" when level 3 is breached.  Funny thing about creating a culture in which you treat everyone like idiots, is that you start to create actual idiots.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Consider yourself there aren't combat sappers on board otherwise the coolant would be used to chill drinks without your knowledge while the ballast tanks would be used to carbonate them.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline WeatherOp

Felt good to swing the hammer for the first time in months. Gotta be in shape for the demo at a local historical grist mill Saturday.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I missed the Saints Row 2 giveaway on GOG.com. My only consolation is that I probably wouldn't have played it even if I got it for free.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?