Author Topic: $no_collisions; $nocollide_this_only  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
$no_collisions; $nocollide_this_only
I've been experimenting with these, and I can't understand how they work. I can fly my fighter through something with these properties regardless of whether that object is moving. On the other hand, when I tried to have a no_collisions Fenris move through an unaltered Ganymede, it failed.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: $no_collisions; $nocollide_this_only
They work as advertised for me. The explanation of them in the wiki is very straightforward and I don't really see how it could be clarified further.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Here's a test mission. I set the Fenris's main hull to $no_collisions. I can fly through everything except the rotating antenna. The Fenris, on the other hand, cannot fly through a Ganymede.

Mission created and tested with 3.6.14 RC6. Built with the media VPs.

[attachment deleted by a ninja]
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Looks like we have a bug there. Removing the $rotate prop from the antenna allows me to fly through it again, so presumably ship-to-ship collisions vs rotating submodels aren't getting correctly ignored. As a workaround, you could add the $no_collisions prop to the antenna as well, since that seems to work.

As for why it still can't (even partially) fly through the Ganymede, I couldn't say. In any case, if you want some class of ship to always be uncollideable, you should probably use the "no collide" ship flag rather than a modified model with added submodel flags. Although if this bug also affects ship flags, you might need to use a copy of the original model anyway.