Author Topic: An Old Friend, the GTF Hercules Mk III  (Read 7088 times)

An Old Friend, the GTF Hercules Mk III
Somehow, I was able to finally access my old external backup drive from my older PC in my garage. I was able to retrieve many old templates, POF models and such. One was the GTF Hercules Mk III POF model. I converted it and worked it up to what you see here. Maybe I should call this the Mk IV :)

https://p3d.in/f4K9e

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Re: An Old Friend, the GTF Hercules Mk III
Great work!
Always did want to see an update on this model.
The Irresponsible Captain Nathan
http://steamcommunity.com/id/IrresponsibleCaptNathan/
Team Leader - Star Wars Original Trilogy Mod
http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-the-original-trilogy-mod

Thank you :) I have always liked the basic shape and wanted to give it some love.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Looks like it could use more polies in some areas (guns and cockpit, especially), but it's a pretty good start.

Here is further work. Note, I called this the Mk IV as I still have the same one above. This one is wider and more polies added plus I have a Terran cockpit in this now too but still working on that. Once I get that cockpit situated, I'll add more definition to the cockpit area.

https://p3d.in/adU7H

Jadehawk

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Any chance of smoothing out the guns? With 8 sides per gun, they're noticeably angular. The wider design looks good, looking forward to see more work on it.

The guns are easy to do as they are separate objects.  I'll re-do them with a more refined example later today.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Hmm, if they are separate objects, how about making your fighter models use external weapon models? :) Not FS-y, I know, but it's a nifty feature that doesn't really get used to its full potential.

you know...when you're in the Weapons Tech in game, you see all these different weapons you can use. Yet, your ship has the same looking gun no matter what you selected. Would be nice that your weapons on your ship also changed based on what you selected. I dunno if FS2 can handle such a feature?

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It can, that's what Dragon was referring to.  Have a look at this table setting: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Ships.tbl#.24Show_Primary_Models:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

That's.....totally awesome! But, that means I need to create several models of the given gun type yes? I looked at that link and just got lost in all that! Anyhow, off to model some more. Stay tuned!

Jadehawk

Ok, had some quality time with this model. Again, I saved multi copies in case I need to back track. So this is Mk IVa.  Yes I know about the minor issue just behind the canopy. That has been fixed.

Comments?

https://p3d.in/Tohx5

All the best,
Jadehawk
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:28:36 pm by Jadehawk »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That looks amazing. :) I wonder if Inferno is still using the MkIII... This model probably much better than whatever's in the SVN right now.

Thanks! :) Did some tweaking and small details added. I re-did the twin seeker domes between the missiles. After all is said and done and if you all approve, I'll call this design FROZEN.

https://p3d.in/fJabF

Please everyone comment now so I can move forward to the next phase!

All the best,
Jadehawk

Looks very nice. Also I think the models for primary weapons basically attach to primary hardpoints, so it'd more come down to having a version with room to attach models and one without?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I love that design.  It looks more modern, but also still heavy-duty, like the Herc I was.  :yes:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The best of your models so far :yes:. Great work!

Inferno uses it's own 6k polys model with 2x2 primary gunpoints setup. Some sections looks rather underdetailed compared to Jadehawk's model but it's still pretty decent HTL.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Maybe it'd be a better idea to switch to that one, then, once it's finished. It'd require some alterations to the gun setup, but Jadehawk's model is the best approach to the Herc III that I've seen so far.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I think you could save some polies on those guns fairly easily by reducing or removing those fin things, but overall, this is a really cool take on the Herc 3. Get it ingame! :D :yes:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:35:19 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Thanks fallas! :)
OK, baring no further attention to some concerns, I'll go ahead and complete the cockpit integration and start the UV Mapping.

Humm, I've been thinking of adding some non working doors for the landing gear. You know, just detail that gives you the idea it's got some.  Cool?

All the best,
Jadehawk