Author Topic: How to rename debris in a debris field?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
How to rename debris in a debris field?
Name says it all! I want ao debris field in a mission, but for plot reasons I'd like it to be labeled "Unknown" and not "Terran" or "Shivan". Is this possible?

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Re: How to rename debris in a debris field?
I never did this, but I think you'd have to modify an (or create your own) entry in Asteroid.tbl (http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Asteroid.tbl#Asteroid_and_Debris_Data)
Potato!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I never did this, but I think you'd have to modify an (or create your own) entry in Asteroid.tbl (http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Asteroid.tbl#Asteroid_and_Debris_Data)

That plus, you may have to have a species_def.tbl to match (link); vice versa it is required (used to be? The last time I tried to add a species to FSO was with 3.6.14 )
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Name says it all! I want ao debris field in a mission, but for plot reasons I'd like it to be labeled "Unknown" and not "Terran" or "Shivan". Is this possible?
Simple "Unknown" is not possible. You may add species "Unknown" to your species_def and get "unknown debris" instead.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline 0rph3u5

Also if you are unafraid of crashing the engine and/or dropping the framerate down to 0, there is always the solution to frankstein your version of the Asteroid Editor using Events ... but that way lies madness MADNESS!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:56:44 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Yeah... I may just have to give up on the debris field. I don't really have the time, energy, or guts to mess with the tables that much now.

Thanks anyway!

Offline 0rph3u5

Yeah... I may just have to give up on the debris field. I don't really have the time, energy, or guts to mess with the tables that much now.

Thanks anyway!

That's no way to go about ... (think of it from teaching standpoint what I am about to isn't either)

Here have the tables needed to add a fourth species (see attachments: Asteroid.tbl, icons.tbl, sounds.tbl, species_defs.tbl); they are already set-up for that species to be "Unknown"; most data is -because I don't know what you need- the data from the Shivans.

To be safe, please put them in a clear mod and run the debug-build over them. Most error messages should give you the exact line where you need to edit (note that debug doesn't recognize the comment lines begining with ";")

[attachment deleted by admin]

==================

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Oh wow, you did all that for me? Thanks a ton!

I'm in a coffee shop now so I can't start too much modwork (it's distracting in here) but I will plug them in at home and make them work. :D

Offline 0rph3u5

I had it lying around, it used to read "Ancients" instead of "Unknown" ... you might also want to check if that's a FS2 or FS-Port sounds.tbl .... I honestly don't remember

(even if it is the port one, you only have move over data on the end about the fly-by sounds)

==================

Offline HLD_Prophecy

On trying to launch I get this error:

Code: [Select]
Too many icons in icons.tbl; only the first 140 will be used
ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_SSE2-DEBUG.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_SSE2-DEBUG.exe! Warning + 491 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_SSE2-DEBUG.exe! brief_parse_icon_tbl + 272 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_SSE2-DEBUG.exe! game_init + 1650 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_SSE2-DEBUG.exe! game_main + 524 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_SSE2-DEBUG.exe! WinMain + 328 bytes