Author Topic: FSO stops short of last 2-3 items  (Read 1277 times)

Offline pyker

FSO stops short of last 2-3 items
Downloaded and ran FSO installer but the last 2-3 items in the listed files did not copy.

Nevertheless, it said that the install was successful and I clicked "finish."

I don't have any idea what those last couple of items are or how important. Anyway, I find no difference whatever in what comes up when clicking FS2 icon.

Frankly, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer (my wife will enthusiastically concur...!), so what should I be expecting to find after installing FSO?

Thanks!

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: FSO stops short of last 2-3 items
Did you install wxLauncher through the installer? Then you should have a new exe file in your FS2 directory which you can launch. This will allow you to select a mod and modify the enabled features (i.e. shadows).
If you want to play the retail campaign, you should install the MediaVPs and select them in the launcher.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I know wherever the Sync and Transcend options link to doesn't work properly anymore and you have to manually download those at the moment. They don't have any impact on the rest of the installation though since nothing else depends on them being there.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Weird. The Sync and Transcend links work fine for me if I access them through a browser. I haven't tried through the installer.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
What I meant by that was the installer's links appear to be broken. Going to the Sync update thread or Transcend through the campaign list work perfectly. I have no idea what's happening under the hood but Sync might not yet have been updated in the installer and some connection to Transcend is busted.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I'm talking about the installer's links. I've used my mirror monitor (link is in my signature) to check the download links.

The installer is getting the Sync and Transcend links from http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/java/ransomarceihn.txt which points to the official download links for those campaigns. If the download for those mods still fails in the installer then it's either doing something wrong or it was blocked.

EDIT: I know what's wrong. Those links redirect and the installer can't follow redirects. That's why the download fails...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:01:10 pm by ngld »

Offline pyker

NGLD, the new exe is indeed there, thanks!
I think I'll go through the training again because of a different HOTAS and it's been a while...

I am interested in mods though. I especially want some great campaigns and maybe some graphic updates.

What mods do you recommend to get started? I don' want to get overwhelmed right away.

Thanks everyone.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
FS1 port is good, as is Silent Threat Reborn, and those can probably be done while you are still getting your skill back.  Blue Planet is excellent but can be difficult.  Ancient Shivan War is my favorite, and is not very difficult. 

Windmills is good and unique, different from what you may have played before.

There are at least three major releases, non-universe mods, as well: Wing Commander Saga, Diaspora (Battlestar Galactica), and Wings of Dawn.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:01:07 pm by Cyborg17 »

Offline CT27

Derelict and Warzone are also fun campaigns that aren't too difficult.