Author Topic: INDRA II  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Deora11

I just wanted to know, what exactly is INDRA II?

From what I have gathered, INDRA II seems to be something along the lines of Combat Simulations, which I would ""ASSUME"" is after basic fight.

Another theory, I thought, was it was kinda of a Combat Evaluation Test; which is meant to keep fleet assets up-to-date with standard combat procedures and tactics.

My 'nerdiness' for how the Federation's Navy works has got the better of me.

Just wanted to know. :)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
...Whilst quiet and determined, Lieutenant Commander Byrne exhibits strategic competence of an Officer far beyond his years in exercises such as the INDRA series, maneuvering the Tarakan always to provide maximum fire support to the remainder of the Strike Division. Byrne has consistently held his position in such exercises with vigour, consistently disregarding his own life in favor of others, and resisting the urge to break ranks to mount a counter-attack at risk of leaving his charge open to enemy assault.
Admiral Byrne is a commander with the mindset of a philosopher, whose tactical genius is little realised by most even within the Federation itself. Whilst not a battlefield revolutionary, Byrne's management skills shone in the INDRA series of exercises conducted prior to the war, with his ability to dispose the Fleet in a manner in which to allow it to fluidly respond to threats in three dimensions. Byrne's strong integrity and rigid discipline in line with orders is atypical of many officers, as observed during both the INDRA exercises and his conduct during the war. Unwilling to mount a large counter-offensive, Byrne issues and continues to enforce strict standing orders regarding to the defensive posture to be maintained by all Fleets.
...The Commodore's actions during the INDRA series of exercises lend a window into his Manstein-esque strategies. Deploying his force quickly and aggressively, he has onsistently compensated for his lack of flank support with overwhelming speed and aggression. Utilizing a combined arms concept, Commodore Calder has successfully engaged superior numbers of cruisers and frigates with the Zhongxing and her FrigRon maneuvering in a 'rolling scissors' to provide mutual fighter and bomber cover as the FrigRon's air complement is deployed in an offensive fashion to provide light support for the frigates.
Excellent shooting, Ranvir. It's good to see all that gunnery drill at INDRA II paid off. We're hurting but still intact.
Between his squadrons and Netreba's feint, the Tevs are occupied. It's INDRA 2 all over again, only this time Calder is on our side. We just need to do our jobs.
Seems to be a series of wargame exercises conducted before the war. INDRA II in particular seems to have involved (at least) elements of 2nd and 3rd fleets facing off against each other, with 3rd fleet apparently winning, and Calder being in a command position.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Sometimes backronymed as Interfleet Naval Defensive Readiness Action, though in recent years FLEETNET may tell you it's Netreba's death ride again.

Offline Deora11

Interesting.

Guess the only way the hone the Navy's skills are against each other.

I am surprised the Navy held up so well against the Meridian and 16th, due to the fact that AWACS support wasn't involved, and the Navy's lack of preparation around Beam Weaponry. 

The INDRA series would only be effective on outbreaks within the Sol theatre alone; revolving around Kinetic Weaponry and heavy missile fire. An invasion by the Shivans through means other than the node would certainly have be disastrous; though saturation of a targets Beams systems would have proven effective.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:05:35 am by Deora11 »

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
INDRA II wouldn't make a bad mini campaign
Stuff

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
If Calder is the aggressive, kill everything red version of Alpha 1; Byrne is the opposite - the guardian persona who values assets and order over death and destruction. The Alpha 1 who would rather save an allied cruiser over destroying a hostile one.

I want to see more from Netreba. So far, his involvement has been lacking. Byrne's inaction tells a lot about his character. Netreba just seems like an ineffective Calder Jr. INDRA doesn't really help his case either.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Due to recently watching battleship again. I assume all naval exercises to involve aliens.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Why would you do that to yourself

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Because something doesn't have to be good in order to be entertaining?

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
If Calder is the aggressive, kill everything red version of Alpha 1; Byrne is the opposite - the guardian persona who values assets and order over death and destruction. The Alpha 1 who would rather save an allied cruiser over destroying a hostile one.

I want to see more from Netreba. So far, his involvement has been lacking. Byrne's inaction tells a lot about his character. Netreba just seems like an ineffective Calder Jr. INDRA doesn't really help his case either.

Yeah, this. I was really disappointed to not see any character development for Netreba when Tenebra rolled around.

Offline Rhys

INDRA II wouldn't make a bad mini campaign

A tutorial mini-campaign on capship command?